We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,432 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Farway, am I too late to move my rhubarb?? I can post a pic later to show you how much growth there is. It hasn’t been fed for at least two years and the stalks have been spindly (I haven’t tasted them because of this). The plant itself looks pretty healthy, it’s just in the wrong place 🙄
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Farway said:

Dusty, I'm not growing Ricinus this year, despite saving some seeds, I just won't have space now I've got latent Canna fever. Give me a nod if you want some Ricinus seeds, I've plenty to spare.
    In my ideal world I would have a wide border with Cannas, dotted spot plants Ricinus backed with Achillea Cloth of Gold and maybe a Black Lace elder somewhere

PS, best wishes for Mrs Dusty knee
    I will pass on the Ricinus, thanks, so the neighbours are safe.... for now. ;) I only sowed mine because I thought the seed was too old to go till next year, but it seems viable storage is shorter than supposed. Neighbour hassle has already taken up too much of my time, so it's fingers crossed the details I sent to the planning officer yesterday do the trick. o:) Hopefully, she'll agree we're engaged in permitted development, but  if not, a full application (costing £hundreds) will be likely to succeed. I'm now wishing I'd not spent around £600 lowering the polytunnel site to make it less conspicuous to folks down the lane, most of whom can't see it anyway! :'(  However, not all the neighbours are Nimbys; some have been very helpful indeed.Those who've been here a longer time understand the countryside isn't a museum! 
    Mrs Dusty has a partial new knee, so I'm hoping to collect her from the depths of Somerset this pm. Then training can begin....hobbling to sprints in around 6 weeks? >:) Might be optimistic, but in a month or so, escaping to the wild garden where there is no phone signal may not be possible!  :(
    Very bright start today, but speaking of legs, the east wind was almost enough to cut mine off when the hens were let out at 06.30!
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,043 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    I'm gonna have to stop reading this thread, I want all the things yous are talking about :D I love your arched cherry 2p, that's so pretty :) And you've got daisies, I want daisies. I wonder if I lifted some from a kerbside would they transplant into my lawn...?

Good luck for Mrs Dusty's knee. I bet it'll feel like no time at all til she's marching about pointing out all the things you've done wrong ha haa!

Cold wind here too, it'd cut right through ya. Sunny though. I might have to bring my tom forest back inside - they're forecasting a bad run of it next week of wind and rain and cloud and cold :(  I might have to try getting shut of some before they get any bigger and need repotting again, I've no more tom bags, or pots, or room!

Me and lovely neighbour and Handsome went for lunch yesterday to our local garden centre. It's close enough to walk to but too bladdy dear to buy anything, properly toppy prices. I mentally spent about £5k while we walked round and could easily have gone over that..... jeez I'd have some garden though :love: 
    The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,043 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Here’s a couple of pics from yesterday. A squiggly treebush and some blossoms in the sun. I want both of them, naturally. 

The second man to go over Niagara Falls in a barrel, Bobby Leach, survived the fall but later died as a result of slipping on a piece of orange peel.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Squiggly tree looks like a contorted willow. Nice if you like weirdy things, but not nice for anyone's foundations!
    Forget robot dogs; why not send people to the Moon?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Farway, am I too late to move my rhubarb?? I can post a pic later to show you how much growth there is. It hasn’t been fed for at least two years and the stalks have been spindly (I haven’t tasted them because of this). The plant itself looks pretty healthy, it’s just in the wrong place 🙄
    Just about time I'd say, may need more water this summer of course.
    I can't comment on spindly ones, mine seems to do that at times which I thought was lack of muck but even a bag of muck never stopped it. I think it may be over cropping, but not sure about that because it's hardly been cropped past few years
    My rhubarb is like my radishes, once upon I time grew without any problems, now both seem to be very finicky, probably down to "global climate emergency" & Brexit

My cherry blossom, very wisely keeping unfurled and away from the east wind, cold and sunny again this morning but supposed to be "nice" in the sun. I'll find out later should I venture out in it, like everyone else, that wind would cut you in half

My runner seeds, I think they are doomed to rot, so I'll sow some more later today & put them in the airing cupboard this time. Which should mean all will germinate & I'll have a forest of runners mid-May

The lily beetle hunts are every day now, the red devils are getting shy and hiding deep in the leaf axils, probably Darwin again, the show-offs I caught & stomped easily, these later ones are more furtive and elusive

Fingers crossed, but I think I can see a hint of stripes on the leaves of my seedling cannas, that would be nice, striped leaves and big red flowers, dream on, could this be my retirement bungalow growing right there on my window sill :)

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do post. It could be spindly, or it could the early variety Champagne, which is always spindly.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • pink_poppy

This is my rampant rhubarb, which seems to have doubled in size since yesterday 😂
  • pink_poppy
    I’ve just been outside to measure the rhubarb ‘plot’ and it’s 80cm square, with the biggest leaf (not including the stem) being 40cm.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    One for the fruit photo collection, baby gooseberry in today's sunshine

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback