We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Comments

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I’ve just been outside to measure the rhubarb ‘plot’ and it’s 80cm square, with the biggest leaf (not including the stem) being 40cm.
    OK, it's plainly a rather early variety as it has started to flower.

You need to remove those flower stems, to the ground, then feed. Good old FBB or a little growmore depending on your preference, and if possible mulch one it stops growing.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,179 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Rain just starting to "spit", Spring sunshine didn't last long did it :/ ?

Sowed more runners yesterday, hope something comes of this sowing, if not then I have an old packet of climbing French I can open up

My plum blossom is over and now looking very raggedy, with no sign of small plums yet. Given the cold & wet weather lately, I'm guessing it's another poor year for plums due to lack of insects at the right time

Potted up more of the "cloth of gold", down to my last zillion now

While the sun was out yesterday I had a potter, and found a few insects around on the apple blossom, it's not all open yet but there does seem to be loads around this year

My Sunburst cherry blossom is opening up, again not all yet open, but here's some that was

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    No gardening yesterday and none planned today, except the potting-on I can do while within range of OH's messaging system. o:)
    Operation went well, but her release was delayed, so we were late home and slept brilliantly....until neighbour's fencing contractor began knocking posts in with his tractor, not long after dawn! :s
    I think we may have fireblight in our previously healthy Viburnum tinus hedge. Smaller plants succumbed first, but now the stronger ones are being affected. :'( Being all home grown, at least the 20 or so plants cost nothing. I'll put up a picture when I can.
    “If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized … If all of this is considered necessary to gain your compliance — you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest.”  Ian Watson
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you, RAS and Farway for the rhubarb advice. I’ve been out this morning and cut the flowers off - all 10 of them!! It needs a bit of a weed before I do anything else, but I’m still wondering about relocating it... 🤔 RAS, I’m guessing the FBB is fish, blood & bone??
    It’s another beautiful sunny day here - shame the midges (and the tourists) have arrived en-masse!! 😂
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We were out for a walk last night and came across these in a small wooded area...

Very pretty - there were three separate patches and it looked like someone had laid a blanket on the ground (as a well known country singer once sang) 😉
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Spring sunshine gone from here too. Band of rain crawling it’s way up, and is about to arrive/has arrived/will arrive imminently depending which app I look at. Grey clouds and wind at present but dry so…

RatWoman came this morning, still have one particularly hardy varmint left. She said there was a good chance the nibblings were all from fresh rats come on off the fields cos there’s nowt out there to eat. So when we take the decking up it’ll be knee deep in rotting/rotted corpses. So that’s something to look forward to eh. 

Gawd Farway, what are ya gonna do if all the beans come up?! Forest mk 2! Hopefully the blossoms were open long enough for the bees to find them 🤞🏻

Good news about Mrs Dusty :) Messaging system - you mean how far her voice carries when she shouts out the back door? :D 

My tom forest is back in the spare room. Even covering them with fleece it was too cold out there for them. Oh I do hope they all survive the move 🙄
    The sun's core is so hot that a piece of the size of a pinhead would give off enough heat to kill a person 160 kilometres away.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic

Good news about Mrs Dusty :) Messaging system - you mean how far her voice carries when she shouts out the back door? :D
    Err...Mrs Dusty never rarely shouts. o:)   We do have some technology here y'know! For a start, there's a bell, but that is quite high-pitched for an oldster like me. :* There's also an old Acme Thunderer whistle, guaranteed to drive all the local dogs barmy. :D And if all else fails, here's texting, though the barn and all points beyond are too far down the hill. Shame! ;)
    Still sunny-ish here, though heavy rain forecast around 4pm. 

“If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized … If all of this is considered necessary to gain your compliance — you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest.”  Ian Watson
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Not done anything......very cold and dank again. Also my lovely gardening neighbour who's garden I photoed for here (the front was pea shingle and plants) passed away unexpectedly today. I'm going to miss the sound of her ladder going up for pruning this spring. And chatting about our respective plots, what's going on and what's not.
    I thought I would plant a tree in her honor as she was always concerned that our mini estate didn't have enough trees for the birds.

It's all plans at the mo, my wallflower mania I thought could extend up a gravel area where the electric concrete bit is
    I was thinking at the back to make my yin yang lawn so I had more soil for plants.
    Not feeling much like it as it's a sad time at the mo

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 3,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Oh 2p I'm sorry for your loss :( Do they know what happened yet?
    The sun's core is so hot that a piece of the size of a pinhead would give off enough heat to kill a person 160 kilometres away.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback