Daughters Lockdown 18th Birthday

Options
Hi everyone. Looking for ideas for my D.D 18th next month. All plans went belly up obviously,  yet we still want to celebrate her milestone. Party with catering , D.J  in a local bar for family and friends of +100 has gone to celebrating at home .

How then good people can I add to that?  Has anyone celebrated a significant lockdown birthday and can pass on ideas?  
Thank you in anticipation.

Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.

Comments

• Stenwold
    Stenwold Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For my partners birthday, I bought a cocktail set and a load of different spirit/mixers and set up a themed bar in each room (gin bar, rum bar etc.). We then had a bar crawl through the house - we even had a sports bar in the living room with rugby on the telly  ;) and finished up in the beer garden (back garden) for some pub games. We've got two young girls and they loved it too.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Friends with large garden rented one of those Garden tent things with no side walls and had a socially distanced gathering with booze and music.
  • sew_what
    sew_what Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just had DD's 18th two weeks early as we live in Leeds and are in danger of going into lockdown!
    She invited four close friends over and they had a BBQ and drinks in an open sided gazebo in the garden. They had a lovely time as they'd not seen each other in the flesh for six months!  We'll go out for a family meal on the day (if we're still allowed!)
    Not the birthday we'd hoped for, but better than her brother's 21st in May when we couldn't do anything!
    We're hoping we can celebrate their 19th & 22nd Birthdays with a family party next year!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We had daughter's 17th in complete lockdown (week after it was announced). I was glad it wasn't her 18th. We made do with creating an  afternoon tea Just me, her and her dad.
    Gathering still have to be under so many I believe and be careful of music. One of my friends got served with a noise abatement order on a Sunday afternoon by our council about a month ago.
    If you can do drinks and food in the garden for so many, then go for that. 
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I read pages before Covid kicked off that there's a growing trend in the US to have 'half birthday' parties .

• KateBob
    KateBob Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My DD had her 18th in April at the high of lockdown.
    We decorated the house inside, a neighbour came round in the night and decorated the outside of our house with banners and balloons, friends/family came round in small groups and sang happy birthday to her from the street, some friends had a socially distant drink with her in the street, she has a zoom party in the evening with one friend supplying the music.
    It wasn't what we'd planned but it was special.
    Kate short for Bob.

Alphabet thread High Priestess of all things unsavoury

Tesla was a genius.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,189 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It's my aunt's 80th birthday in a couple of weeks, my cousin has organised friends and family to make short videos and she's going to 'knit' them together - I've no idea how, but technologically minded young people can probably do it. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The rules changed again last night, to no more than six people, inside or outside.  🙄

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54081131
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,991 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    One friend met over zoom and had delivered party food and drink to various houses in advance. 6 people in each house.
    Another had shifts of different people arriving at fixed times throughout the day.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You're now going to be affeted by last night's news. How large is your household Sue? If it now has to be just you what about hiring a hottub?  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback