Daughters Lockdown 18th Birthday

Options

Comments

• Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Spendless said:
    You're now going to be affeted by last night's news. How large is your household Sue? If it now has to be just you what about hiring a hottub?  
    I can see an 18 year old wanting to share a hot tub with their boyfriend/girlfriend but with their mum & dad?

We were invited to a Zoom (actually Teams but lets go with the known brand) b'party with everyone getting an indian takeaway and beers in so that we on some level shared a meal together... wasn't exactly the same, the usual suspect rather than complaining about the food choice just broke the rules and bought KFC instead, but it was a reasonable proxy in the circumstances.

If friends/family don't live too far away and you aren't a massive household then doing something like a concurrent picnic (if weather holds)  with either your daughter touring the other blankets/groups or them taking it in turns to visit you... obviously need to read the details of the new rules to ensure its not a problem.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Get her drunk, then next day tell her wild stories of what she got up to.  She won't remember anyway :smiley:

Or was that just the way my family did 18th birthdays?!
  • Reschedule.  
    and reorganise for next year
    With love, POSR <3
  • ZaSa1418
    Options
    My Daughter's 18th was earlier in the year, 3 weeks or so after lockdown. We already had her presents and got her a cake etc but no big family meal out (she didn't want a party as was going to go out with her mates at a seperate time) We will have a big family meal out on her 19th as her 18th celebrations didn't happen. 
    She still enjoyed herself getting presents and choosing a takeaway. 
    LBM Debt Total : £48,326.50

Pay All Your Debt Off By Xmas 2023 - #50  £1,495.29 / £12,000.00
    Saving For Christmas 2023 - £1 a day challenge - #6 £100/£1095.00
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 September 2020 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Today,s new rule of a maximum gathering  of no more than six, inside or outside may well scupper any plans you may be hatching. Nobody  knows how long it will remain in force but the NHS needs to be protected from another mass hospitalisation programme with the winter flu season approaching so it could remain in force for months! 
    As much as you want to hold a big event for your daughter the reality is that she,s about to become an ADULT and the best gift you  can give her is to help her grow up and accept the harsh realities of life which all adults have to come to terms with.
    Let's face it, thousands have already died from this pandemic.  Encouraging her to feel she has "an entitlement" to  grand celebrations in these times is to encourage her  not to face reality.
       It,s a shame, but worse disasters happen at sea.  Just arrange a nice family gathering with a maximum of six people.  She,s still has the rest of her life waiting with plenty of time for other parties and celebrations. 

• suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Misslayed said:
    It's my aunt's 80th birthday in a couple of weeks, my cousin has organised friends and family to make short videos and she's going to 'knit' them together - I've no idea how, but technologically minded young people can probably do it. 
    This this this. 
    Unfortunately she is the technologically minded young one. I on the other hand!  Thinking of making a top secret Facebook page, friends but mainly family can record a message. Friends will probably use Snapgram or Instachat (deliberately swapped)
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,170 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    Spendless said:
    You're now going to be affeted by last night's news. How large is your household Sue? If it now has to be just you what about hiring a hottub?  
    I can see an 18 year old wanting to share a hot tub with their boyfriend/girlfriend but with their mum & dad?

She might have a couple of sisters though!
    I shared one with my 17yo daughter and my husband's aunt only this week. Just something different to do.

• EndlessStruggle
    Options
    Is really hard to know where to go with this without knowing more about your daughter, especially on a milestone bday. 
    Have you asked her/has she said what she wants to do or are you taking the lead on organising?
    Could you give us a brief overview of interests, family size etc? 
    Are you wanting a whole day of plans or just a portion? 
    All of what we have done might not be what your daughter would want but I am sure between us we can bounce some ideas about for something special for her day.  <3
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Spendless said:
    Sandtree said:
    Spendless said:

She might have a couple of sisters though!
    I shared one with my 17yo daughter and my husband's aunt only this week. Just something different to do.

But I am guessing you arent an 18 year old girl thats grown up in the millennium... what we find enjoyable as 30 something (ok, 40ish) adult isn't the same as a teenager.  We are also all individuals, I know when I was 18 I'd not have been excited by the idea of a shared hot tub with family... maybe slightly different if we were talking the depth of winter with snow around etc. That isnt to say I wouldnt have gotten into one but it'd have been to keep others happy.

Lose the family, add in the girlfriend and some privacy and I'd have been the first one in there.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback