Time to Face The Music

Options

Comments

• RelievedSheff
    Options
    I have just caught up with your diary. How many meals do you expect to get out of today's delivery? I am trying to work out how much we would be able to store and how long it would last us. The second question which suppliers do you use? I would love to be in this position.
    We tend to have a roast joint for Sunday dinner and then use the leftovers in the week. So the joints alone will last us 12 weeks plus 4 weeks for the lamb in the freezer already.

Its difficult to say how long it lasts really as it depends what we ate eating at the time. For example during the summer when we  are bbqing a lot the pork and lamb chops don't last that long. But over winter they will last ages.

We don't expect to be buying much more meat if any this winter.

We use the Wensleydale Farmer for the lamb and steaks, Mainsgill Farm for the pork and Campbells butchers for the haggis, chicken, Stornoway black pudding and lorne sausage.

It does work out far cheaper to buy in bulk like this if you have the freezer space. It is working out expensive this first time as we are buying everything at once to stock the new 250 litre freezer. But next time we restock it won't be everything at once so won't be as bad.
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,586 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 September 2020 at 11:45PM
    Options
    I have just caught up with your diary. How many meals do you expect to get out of today's delivery? I am trying to work out how much we would be able to store and how long it would last us. The second question which suppliers do you use? I would love to be in this position.
    We tend to have a roast joint for Sunday dinner and then use the leftovers in the week. So the joints alone will last us 12 weeks plus 4 weeks for the lamb in the freezer already.

Its difficult to say how long it lasts really as it depends what we ate eating at the time. For example during the summer when we  are bbqing a lot the pork and lamb chops don't last that long. But over winter they will last ages.

We don't expect to be buying much more meat if any this winter.

We use the Wensleydale Farmer for the lamb and steaks, Mainsgill Farm for the pork and Campbells butchers for the haggis, chicken, Stornoway black pudding and lorne sausage.

It does work out far cheaper to buy in bulk like this if you have the freezer space. It is working out expensive this first time as we are buying everything at once to stock the new 250 litre freezer. But next time we restock it won't be everything at once so won't be as bad.
    Thank you so much for the information, particularly about suppliers.
    When we have a roast we often freeze some of the leftover meat for variety another week.
    We rarely eat lamb, but I have no idea why. Think I need to go and look at meals containing lamb and decided which to include.

We buy a lot of dry goods and laundry detergent etc in bulk. I  have never thought buying meat in bulk would work for us but seeing your purchases has made me think it can 😀
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • RelievedSheff
    Options
    It certainly works for us and in these uncertain times it is nice to know that we are stocked up should another national lock down happen and shopping becomes difficult again.
  • RelievedSheff
    Options
    It is another no spend day today.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be from the fridge and stores. The other half has taken his packed lunch to work. He has some of last nights slow cooked beer ham in his sandwiches today and there is some left for my dinner as well. Think I will have mine with some scrambled eggs.

I have woke up with a niggling pain in my left shoulder this morning. I pulled it a few weeks ago while we were out on the boat and it has not been 100% since but this morning it has really started giving me some jip again. Will take some ibuprofen and see if that helps any.

Today's jobs are:
    • working from home
    • putting tonight's steak and ale casserole in the slow cooker
    • dusting the house
    • cutting the grass in the  back garden (rain stopped play yesterday)
    • walking the dog x 2
  • RelievedSheff
    Options
    It was a productive day yesterday. Got loads done at home despite the shoulder pain. That doesn't seem quite so bad this morning.

It will be another no spend day today. Probably the last one this week as tomorrow looks like it will be quite spendy.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be from stores. The other half has taken his packed lunch to work. Not sure what I am having for lunch today but I'm sure I can rustle something up out of the fridge and then it is Fakeaway Friday. Pizza night tonight and a few beers while we watch a film or two.

Today's jobs are:
    • Working from home
    • Load of washing (good news on this front the dryer part of the washer/dryer has started working again so no need to replace this just yet)
    • Vacuum the house
    • Wax the dining table
    • Walk the dog x 2
  • RelievedSheff
    Options
    Almost forgot. £251 paid off the motor finance today so the balance on that is now £4439.
  • RelievedSheff
    Options
    It looks set to be quite a spendy day today.

I have to take the dog to the groomers, being a poodle cross he has to have regular visits for his hair cut as he doesn't shed.

The other half needs some shoes for going away. The ones he currently has are dangerous for on the boat as they are too slippery. While he is in town he is going to get batteries put in a couple of our watches.

Our usual farm shop we get fruit and veg from is shut this week so we are hoping to get some from the local market instead.

We will dip into the overdraft this weekend which I had been keen to avoid but due to last weeks unexpected bill it cant be avoided. Fortunately the other half gets paid weekly so it won't be for long.
  • RelievedSheff
    Options
    We had a thoroughly enjoyable but expensive day yesterday. 

Today we are going to spend the day getting the boat ready to go on holiday next weekend so that we can just arrive on Friday evening after work and set off and relax.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner will be from stores today. Roast leg of lamb for Sunday dinner later. We do need to visit a shop to get some vegetables, bread and milk though today at some point.

We found out yesterday that the poor dog has harvest mites on his paws. He had a good scrub at the groomers but today he is having his feet bathed in an apple cider vinegar bath to try and get rid of the last of the little blighters. He won't like it much. Oddly they don't seem to have bothered him and he has not even noticed the sores they have caused!

• RelievedSheff
    Options
    We had a lovely relaxing end to the weekend yesterday watching a few films with a few beers while waiting for the roast lamb to cook. It was a lovely way to end the weekend.

Back too it today though. Only five days of work before we go away.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner will all be from stores, the fridge and freezer today. We have a load of roast lamb left so it is cajun lamb wraps for lunch, the other half has taken some to work for his lunch as well and then tonight it is a home made lamb and mint pie.

The batteries we sold on Ebay fetched £53.66 they are paid for and are to be collected today. A third battery we put on Ebay is currently sat at £10.50 with a couple of days left to run. The money has been put into the holiday money pot. When we get back from holiday we are going to have a serious look at what else we have lying around that we can sell.

Today's jobs include:
    • working from home
    • walking the dog x 2
    • bathing the dog's legs in apple cider vinegar (not looking forward to this one)
    • making tonight's pie
    • vacuuming the house
    • waiting for a chap to come and adjust the patio doors and a couple of windows
    • waiting for the chap to come and pick the batteries up
  • RelievedSheff
    Options
    Well this morning hasn't exactly gone according to plan.

There was a problem with our work servers which mean't I couldn't access work this morning. On the plus side this mean't I had an extra hour or so to get a few bits done around the house. So the dusting was done and a load of washing put in. Which then turned into problem two when the washer dryer didn't well dry. So the clothes are now hung outside to dry.

The batteries have been collected but I am still waiting for the chap to come and do the patio doors. I'm doubting myself whether or not I have the right day now. I'm sure it should be today...............

On another brighter note, I have just bathed the dogs legs and he now has far fewer Harvest Mites on his feet so the apple cider vinegar appears to be doing it's job. Looking at how many have already gone I reckon they might all be gone tomorrow if I do his legs again in the morning. His skin looked less pink as well so the inflammation must be going down as well as the mite numbers. Hopefully we can get him right in time for going away at the weekend.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback