Husband has willed our home to Daughter without consulting me 😢

Options

Comments

• onwards&upwards
    Options
    maman said:
    Arranging a play date would be no big deal for someone used to genuine big deals! 🤣 All it needs is some organisation and then there'd be plenty of time left over for golf or lunches. 😉 
    So why do more men not do it if its such a doddle?
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    The argument that ‘men tend to earn more‘ was certainly true in the past due to gender discrimination, but these days generally occurs where the man is older than the woman and therefore more established in their career when children arrive (as in OPs situation). 
    When the couple are of a similar age and professional status this is no longer necessarily the case. Most couples I know in their 20s/30s who have not yet had children earn broadly similar salaries. 

Actually there is still a pay gap, although as you say it has narrowed in single adults, as soon as couples start having children it widens dramatically.  Men aren't doing their fair share of the parenting by any means yet. 
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maman said:
    Arranging a play date would be no big deal for someone used to genuine big deals! 🤣 All it needs is some organisation and then there'd be plenty of time left over for golf or lunches. 😉 
    I know it can be difficult to follow an online conversation but it was a comment in a context. Why would a man (or other sole breadwinner) arrange play dates when he's out at work and the partner is at home making a job out of domestic duties? The partner at home (like OP) can't have it both ways. 

• AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The argument that ‘men tend to earn more‘ was certainly true in the past due to gender discrimination, but these days generally occurs where the man is older than the woman and therefore more established in their career when children arrive (as in OPs situation). 
    When the couple are of a similar age and professional status this is no longer necessarily the case. Most couples I know in their 20s/30s who have not yet had children earn broadly similar salaries. 

Actually there is still a pay gap, although as you say it has narrowed in single adults, as soon as couples start having children it widens dramatically.  Men aren't doing their fair share of the parenting by any means yet. 
    sadly there is a pay gap between men and women.  it isn't as bad as it used to be, but without a doubt it is still there. 
    it comes not just from market forces but men will tend to get promoted over women at work.  there are high paid professions where those employed are mainly men and so as a woman it is difficult to get your foot in the door and even when you do, you are outnumbered by the men, who will choose other men to promote as they are all pals.

bosses in big organisations tend to be men and when the company is run by men, they will natural promote other men.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree that the pay gap widens and that men end up in the influential, higher paid positions. To me, it's one of the reasons that women should try to take short career breaks and that employers (and fathers) should explore shared parental leave more. I don't mean paternity leave but sharing the maternity leave 6 months each. It's not so easy to discriminate against a woman when her CV is strong(er).
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    maman said:
    maman said:
    I know it can be difficult to follow an online conversation but it was a comment in a context. Why would a man (or other sole breadwinner) arrange play dates when he's out at work and the partner is at home making a job out of domestic duties? The partner at home (like OP) can't have it both ways. 

Thank you for your concern but I have no trouble following conversations. 

I'm sure you are aware that even when women are the higher earner, or both partners earn roughly equal amounts, women still generally take on more domestic and childcare responsibilities.  

So, my question again, if arranging play dates and the other tasks that make up the full spectrum of child rearing are so easy, why don't more men actually do them?
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    maman said:
    I agree that the pay gap widens and that men end up in the influential, higher paid positions. To me, it's one of the reasons that women should try to take short career breaks and that employers (and fathers) should explore shared parental leave more. I don't mean paternity leave but sharing the maternity leave 6 months each. It's not so easy to discriminate against a woman when her CV is strong(er).
    A depressingly high percentage of manager still admit to not wanting to employ women of childbearing age (or women at all), no matter what her CV may look like.  And if that many will openly admit to it how many think that way but deny it! 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/business/third-bosses-avoid-hiring-women-could-have-children-soon/
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A depressingly high percentage of manager still admit to not wanting to employ women of childbearing age (or women at all), no matter what her CV may look like.  And if that many will openly admit to it how many think that way but deny it! 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/business/third-bosses-avoid-hiring-women-could-have-children-soon/
    That's the thing I really don't understand. 'Childbearing age' - that's a rather wider range than it used to be, have they considered that? Plus has no-one ever pointed out that there's adoption leave, which is open to single and gay men, AND what used to be maternity leave can be shared with the father!

It means that ANYONE in the workplace could take an extended period of leave to care for children. 

And while it's rare for men to exercise their rights in this area, increasingly I think they will! 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Savvy_Sue said:

And while it's rare for men to exercise their rights in this area, increasingly I think they will! 
    I certainly hope so!  That would probably be the only thing that could have much of an impact on tis kind of discrimination, changing the law hasn't helped much!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback