Lloyds banking app - fingerprint login on Android

Options
I've recently installed the Lloyds banking app on Android, but I can not get the fingerprint biometric security to work. I have enabled using Fingerprint in Security Settings but it does not show. When I launch the app, after the splash screen finishes I can just about see the fingerprint screen for a fraction of a second with something red which looks like an error, and it immediately jumps to the login screen asking for my password.
Any suggestions? Anyone else having issues getting fingerprint authentication working?

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had a similar problem with a banking app.  IIRC it was HSBC.  Apparently my phone's finger print security system wasn't secure enough for them.  Sometime later the app was updated and the figure print facility worked.

When I initially load the LLoyds app I get a splash screen with the wording 'Authenticating your device'.  Maybe, for whatever reason, the app has determined your phone's fingerprint capabilities aren't up to scratch.

According to the app's description in the Play Store
    UPDATE Some customers have reported an issue where the app has stopped working. You can fix this by deleting and reinstalling it. We're still looking into the cause. If you have this problem, please let us know - go to “Provide app feedback” on the Support tab.
  • NedS
    NedS Posts: 3,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, I see the splash screen where it says 'Authenticating your device'. I see the app knows my device - I had assumed that check was so they could perform more rigorous authentication the first time you attempt to log in from a new device. I wasn't aware some fingerprint scanners were more or less secure than others. Anyway, disappointed as fingerprint authentication works great on Barclays and Hargreaves Lansdown apps.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I only have one banking app set to login by fingerprint, but out of curiosity just turned it on in the Lloyds app. worked just fine (Samsung A71.)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 August 2020 at 12:52PM
    Options
    Very strange as it looks like it is just a different skin on the Halifax / BOS app along with the MBNA app all of which which have no fingerprint problems.
  • NedS
    Options
    molerat said:
    Very strange as it looks like it is just a different skin on the Halifax / BOS app along with the MBNA app all of which which have no fingerprint problems.
    OK, thank you. I've no idea why it's not working on my phone.
    Yes, wouldn't be surprised. I've just opened a Halifax account (due to switching offer) and the online banking looks very similar to Lloyds online banking (same login screens, same layout), just branded blue instead of green :smile:
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    NedS said:
    molerat said:
    OK, thank you. I've no idea why it's not working on my phone.
    Yes, wouldn't be surprised. I've just opened a Halifax account (due to switching offer) and the online banking looks very similar to Lloyds online banking (same login screens, same layout), just branded blue instead of green :smile:

If I were you I'd contact the developer, as mentioned above in the quote I copied from the Play Store.

Let them know the problem you're having, along with your phone's make and model.
  • NedS
    Options
    Thank you, I will give that a try.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 November 2020 at 11:00AM
    Options
    The Halifax app fingerprint doesn't work on my Xiaomi, all other banking apps work fine, so it's definitely a Lloyds Halifax thing..
    It just annoys when they clearly know there is a problem yet they won't admit it, and try to get you to jump through hoops as if it's your fault!!
  • oldagetraveller1
    Options
    I have two phones, bragger!, one with a "conventional" sensor on the back, the other with one of those trendy under screen sensors. The former works flawlessly for Lloyds log in but, as with almost everything, the under screen sensor doesn't. Therefore I have to use the normal log in to Lloyds.
    What I'm saying, is, with some phones those in screen sensors are rubbish.  Phone is a Galaxy 71, the other a Moto. I don't bother with the Samsung's fingerprint because it is so unreliable. It took forever to even register two fingers to the phone.

• NedS
    Options
    Interesting feedback from @boatman and @oldagetraveller1, my phone is (a) a Xiaomi like @boatman and (b) has an under screen fingerprint sensor although it works flawlessly for accessing the device and for other financial apps (barclays app, HL app). I should  also note it doesn't work for the Halifax app either, which appears to be a near identical duplicate of the Lloyds app, so it's definitely an issue with the app.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback