Ready for the next stage!

Comments

• riotlady
    riotlady Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thanks Skinty :) no we are first time buyers so mentioned that, there’s 8 offers in now though! At the end of the day we have a maximum that we’ll go up to, if someone else wants to pay more then fair play to them and it obviously wasn’t meant to be. Just gotta see what happens. 

Thanks MF :) we had texted but she was in valuations all day so arranged for her to call me back- wanted to put the offer in on the phone so I could hear her reaction and get an idea if it was in the right ballpark. 
  • Our offer was accepted!!! We’re buying a house!
  • Congratulations 🍾🎉
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Woo hoo great news 🥳 🍾

(You may have done so already, but make sure they are taking it off the market & no one else will be viewing it now. It’s a long time since I moved but we were told to do that to try and stop gazumping.)
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • atrixa
    atrixa Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Congratulations! I've got everything crossed for you that it all goes smoothly :)
  • Thank you all! I can’t believe it! 

Nearly pooped myself on the phone to the mortgage broker as he told us we couldn’t get any mortgage… then realised he’d typed something in wrong! So that’s all fine, just got to get cracking with paperwork and sending stuff off. Feeling quite underprepared as we weren’t t planning to look yet!
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    What a day to catch up on your diary. Really well done all of you. Hurrah. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • riotlady
    riotlady Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    thanks @savingwannabe!

Things have been a bit busy and I haven't managed to update recently. House purchase is going pretty well, hoping to move in July. We've had our mortgage confirmed- fixed for 5 years. We've gone for a 38 year term to keep the monthly commitment down and plan to overpay a bit each month. I'm really hoping we can take our gas and electric contract with us as we're fixed on a very good deal until summer 2023. 

We didn't manage to save much last month as it was an unusually pricey- mini's birthday, car insurance, new glasses, etc.- but I'm hoping to save as much as possible going forward to fund new purchases in the house. Since tomorrow is the start of the new tax year I'm going to transfer some more money over to the LISA so that we have our full deposit there and can make use of the last little bit of bonus. That should leave us £2100 for fees etc. 

I never really feel on top of everything- if money is good then the house is a tip, or if the house is tidy we've been eating rubbish- but I do think we're scrabbling along quite nicely at the moment. It's been so nice to go out and DO things with Mini lately and I don't think I had really twigged how much the pandemic + my health had put a dampener on family life for me. I still have days that are a struggle, but being able to go to the park (even if I do just sit on a bench!) or swimming or to the aquarium is genuinely so lovely. And of course mini will be off to school in September, so I'm trying to enjoy this time as much as possible. 
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I’m glad things are going well. It’s difficult juggling family life, home, work & health so don’t feel that everything has to be perfect. You are amazing to do so much & a bit of untidiness is probably the same for us all. Spend time with mini riot instead, it’s time you can never get back.  
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    You can't take a fix with you as the seller may have a different supplier, you have to sign up with whoever supplies the property to start with and then move away. Downside is there's not many suppliers taking on customers and the fixes are ridiculous.

With a little one nothing is 'perfect' and something's have to give. As Skinty says, appreciate and enjoy the time with mini and everything will fall into place when she's older.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback