Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Tesco Delivery Price Increase - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Tesco Delivery Price Increase

91 replies 11.6K views
145679

Replies

  • GaleSF63GaleSF63 Forumite
    584 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Farway said:
    Bacman said:
    If your finances aren't stretched and on a tight budget, i'd suggest Waitrose. I never used to use them but have for the last months; the quality and taste of their food is better (fruit and veg), prices fairly similar but the difference is worth it for the quality. I use Asda for cleaning and hygiene products but not much else now; quality of Tesco and Sainsburys isn't always great; the extra cost of M&S food is not worth it IMO however Waitrose is.
    Waitrose are reducing min order from £60 to £40, possibly to bring into line with other on line delivery now the Ocado connection has gone?
    Don't know when this starts but worth bearing in mind as an alternative

    I didn't know that - it's good news for me because I can make my orders a little more frequent and get fresh things like lettuce, tomatoes, milk more often without having such long blanks when I have to wait till the next delivery. 

    Wonder if that means they will start charging for delivery though? Not that it would stop me using them. 
  • NeilCrNeilCr Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    GaleSF63 said:
    Farway said:
    Bacman said:
    If your finances aren't stretched and on a tight budget, i'd suggest Waitrose. I never used to use them but have for the last months; the quality and taste of their food is better (fruit and veg), prices fairly similar but the difference is worth it for the quality. I use Asda for cleaning and hygiene products but not much else now; quality of Tesco and Sainsburys isn't always great; the extra cost of M&S food is not worth it IMO however Waitrose is.
    Waitrose are reducing min order from £60 to £40, possibly to bring into line with other on line delivery now the Ocado connection has gone?
    Don't know when this starts but worth bearing in mind as an alternative

    I didn't know that - it's good news for me because I can make my orders a little more frequent and get fresh things like lettuce, tomatoes, milk more often without having such long blanks when I have to wait till the next delivery. 

    Wonder if that means they will start charging for delivery though? Not that it would stop me using them. 

  • samL04samL04 Forumite
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I heard Tesco was scrapping delivery charges. I have to order 40.00 of food, pay 4.50 delivery and I think a picking charge of 2.50. I live alone and am disabled so this minimum purchase charge is high so if the 4.50 is lifted it helps but wish they would lower the minimum purchase to 25.00 so I could have weekly, fresh food and cut down on waste.  I hoped being a pensioner would be great in general but nah! Thx
  • edited 8 September at 5:25AM
    sarah1972sarah1972 Forumite, Board Guide
    16.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 September at 5:25AM
    samL04 said:
    I heard Tesco was scrapping delivery charges. I have to order 40.00 of food, pay 4.50 delivery and I think a picking charge of 2.50. I live alone and am disabled so this minimum purchase charge is high so if the 4.50 is lifted it helps but wish they would lower the minimum purchase to 25.00 so I could have weekly, fresh food and cut down on waste.  I hoped being a pensioner would be great in general but nah! Thx
    As you can see from this post, they are not scrapping the delivery charge but have , in fact now set a standard £4.50 charge across the board which makes some times of the day cheaper than they used to be most but most of them, this is an increase.
    Its not £4.50 delivery and then £2.50 picking though ? It is a standard delivery charge of £4.50 for one hour slots.
    I do flexi slots so my slot for Monday just this minute cost me £3.50
     
    I understand where you are coming from with the £25 minimum order but to be honest, i really doubt its worth it for them.  You can order below £40 but they add a £4 charge to your basket
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards & Competitions
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish it was £25 too. 

    We would order more frequently and/or buy a delivery pass if it was. 

    We are a household of two but for two weeks running definitely don't need £40 worth of food as keep good stocks in freezer and cupboard.

    Only so often that you can bulk out a fresh food order with cleaners, freezer and cupboard items.

    Last week I went to Asda, intended a Tesco delivery this week but don't need £40 worth. Will top up when I'm in town instead. If I can't get into town then it'll be an Iceland delivery as they charge £2 for a £25 order. 
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    KxMx said:
    I wish it was £25 too. 

    We would order more frequently and/or buy a delivery pass if it was. 

    We are a household of two but for two weeks running definitely don't need £40 worth of food as keep good stocks in freezer and cupboard.

    Only so often that you can bulk out a fresh food order with cleaners, freezer and cupboard items.

    Last week I went to Asda, intended a Tesco delivery this week but don't need £40 worth. Will top up when I'm in town instead. If I can't get into town then it'll be an Iceland delivery as they charge £2 for a £25 order. 
    Trouble is the cost of the driver, van and fuel is the same no matter the size of the delivery, so its not commercially viable for Tesco to make lots of very small deliveries. If you want a small delivery, pay the extra fee. Or for £10-20 of shopping you should be able to carry it yourselves from a supermarket? Why not use delivery for the bulky items that last longer and then carry the fresh food by hand once or twice a week?
    There is two of us and we easily spend £20 a week on food, but we have two cats so cat food can make up £5+ of a weekly shop.
  • edited 8 September at 10:17AM
    KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 September at 10:17AM
    That is basically what we do now. 

    Top up in store twice a month, mainly fresh food and have a delivery once or twice a month fresh, frozen, household and cupboard. 

    I'm not going to pay Tesco £7 (£3 flexi slot, £4 basket charge) when Iceland will deliver that same £25 order for £2.

    I totally get why Tesco feel small orders are not viable, but it's worth pointing out out of potentially four lots of our money ( even a small amount ;)) going into Tesco's coffers this month, they are only getting our money once. 
  • pumpkin89pumpkin89 Forumite
    281 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Four lots of £25 is £100 per month - lots of customers spend (more than) that every week.  So at a time when there is high demand for online slots, they are going to prioritise those more profitable orders.
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tesco introduced the surcharge on orders £25-£40 about five years ago, nothing to do with current high demand :smile:
  • pumpkin89pumpkin89 Forumite
    281 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Yes, but you were saying you wanted them to reduce the minimum spend i.e. remove that surcharge.  No way is that going to happen in the current climate.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support