Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Tesco Delivery Price Increase - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search

Tesco Delivery Price Increase

90 replies 11.3K views

Replies

• olgadapolgaolgadapolga Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    KxMx said:
    Showing for me. 

These slots don't show for me either but I have access to priority slots so that may be the reason for the absence of the flexi-saver slots. 
  • RosalyndaRosalynda Forumite
    4 posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post
    I have just booked a flexi slot for £3 in early August.
  • BacmanBacman Forumite
    272 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    This is a bit like a situation for example when you can buy (for example) say a pack of chocolate for 5p more in one store than the identical one in another store - 5p is neither here or there generally however the "principle" of being overcharged puts people rightly off and they buy in the cheaper store. Same principle here - if you can get a delivery slot at one supermarket chain (eg Asda) for £1.50 then why would you be happy to pay someone else (eg Tesco) £6.50 for an identical service? Think of what you can buy for £5 and then think why you'd want to forego that money, especially as Tesco are more expensive than say Asda?

I always used Asda pretty much for everything as their prices were good and had very good choices of items; however since my wife got priority access for home deliveries (as she is on the government risk list) we get free deliveries from Waitrose; I am happy to pay a bit more for items (often better quality too BTW than Asda) as I consider the "difference in price" as reduction in the cost of delivery; costs me more that way however it makes me feel I have a better deal. We didn't use Waitrose at all before, now we get our deliveries from them and top-up items which are cheaper from Asda.

Tesco spent considerable money increasing their fleet and staff for home deliveries so it would be logical for them to keep their old pricing structure (cheap slots for unpopular times, top price for popular slots) rather than top price for all times every day. Sorry Tesco, it isn't going to work for you, people think they are being ripped off.

Yes, paying £6.50 for someone to pick your items and shop for you, time to sort the items, load into delivery van, paying delivery driver to divert and deliver items to your door and the hassle of the drive; cost of petrol and delivery van costs; a pretty reasonable price especially when you get the service and also don't have the offset cost of your own time and car petrol costs. However, in saying that, if someone can do exactly the same for £1.50 as you do for £6.50, it is not justified. It is no difference to buying on ebay, you don't think "pretty picture, i'll pay more for the item" you think "exactly the same item, they are cheaper, i'll buy there".
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ Bacman
    The points you make are perfectly valid. However, I don't think your comparisons are similar to what is now happening with Tesco.

I can, from 3 August, choose to pay either £4.50 for a Fixed 1 hour slot OR pay the same £4.50 for my Priority 8 hour slot  

Whereas several other posters can choose to pay £4.50 for Fixed 1 hour slot, OR £3 for a Flexi 4 Hour slot.

FWIW, I don't consider £4.50 for the service I receive, to be a rip off. However, I'd prefer to pay £3 ;)
  • milliemillie Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The priority slots in Asda give free delivery and no minimum order charge. I don't have priority myself so can't check that this is true. but my sister does and that is what she has told me. It is also a fixed hour slot that she chooses not the 8 hour one from Tesco.  Although I do believe Tesco do send a message with a time on the day of delivery.
  • molleymolley Forumite
    521 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    What is a Customer Fulfillment Centre ?
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    molley said:
    marketing speak for a warehouse
  • BooJewelsBooJewels Forumite
    900 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I think they also call them 'dark stores' in the industry too.
  • jon81ukjon81uk Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    molley said:
    A warehouse specifically for delivering to customers, rather than pickers working within normal stores.
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder just how long Tesco and the rest will hold out once this starts nationally?

Amazon takes on supermarkets with free food delivery