New Post Advanced Search

Tesco Delivery Price Increase

90 replies 11.4K views

Replies

• milliemillie Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have Asda deliveries on a Wednesday lunchtime and pay £1.50. I did look at Tesco but their delivery charges in general were a lot higher. All Asda's Click and Collect slots are free.
  • SocajamSocajam Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    A._Badger said:
    pumpkin89 said:
    Bacman said:
    When customers vote with their feet and go elsewhere, i'm sure Tesco will have to reduce the delivery price to a sensible level. Charge for click and collect - why - no other supermarket does!
    It depends what you mean by sensible.  It costs Tesco at least £12 to pick, pack and deliver an order.  Click and collect obviously still costs them quite a bit as they're paying for a member of staff to pick and pack your shopping.

People voted with their feet in 1993 when Tesco Value baked beans were 4p and Aldi's were only 3p - doesn't mean either of those prices was sensible or sustainable.
    I am very far from convinced that it costs Tesco £12 to pack and deliver an order. Experience has taught me to treat anything that company claims with caution. 
    So you would be happy for the employees who will be picking, packing and delivery your shopping to be paid peanuts, as long as you get a cheap deal.
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Socajam said:
    A._Badger said:
    pumpkin89 said:
    Bacman said:
    When customers vote with their feet and go elsewhere, i'm sure Tesco will have to reduce the delivery price to a sensible level. Charge for click and collect - why - no other supermarket does!
    It depends what you mean by sensible.  It costs Tesco at least £12 to pick, pack and deliver an order.  Click and collect obviously still costs them quite a bit as they're paying for a member of staff to pick and pack your shopping.

People voted with their feet in 1993 when Tesco Value baked beans were 4p and Aldi's were only 3p - doesn't mean either of those prices was sensible or sustainable.
    I am very far from convinced that it costs Tesco £12 to pack and deliver an order. Experience has taught me to treat anything that company claims with caution. 
    So you would be happy for the employees who will be picking, packing and delivery your shopping to be paid peanuts, as long as you get a cheap deal.
    Thank you for your contribution to the debate about delivery pricing. Are you feeling better now? 
  • TytarseTytarse Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    millie said:
    I have Asda deliveries on a Wednesday lunchtime and pay £1.50. I did look at Tesco but their delivery charges in general were a lot higher. All Asda's Click and Collect slots are free.
    Yes I think ASDA are about to see more of my money for this reason. I was paying £2 for delivery with Tesco but the increase will force us to their major competitor. To go from £2 to  £4.50 in a heart beat will mean I make my decision in the same vein. Tesco - you got this one wrong and you may not get me back any time soon even when you reverse the decision ( and you will). Very silly!
  • BooJewelsBooJewels Forumite
    903 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    My theory is that I have always picked delivery spots that were cheapest, as I was home all day as I work from home, so could avail myself of these slots when others were at work - and presumably the stores offered these slots at reduced prices, so that they could encourage orders at their off-peak times and even things out. 

Now that everyones routine has changed, many more people are at home during the day (and maybe more permanently as more will continue to work from home), so the peak time has now become the cheaper slots.  So putting them all at the same price levels that out, so for everyone that loses, someone else will gain.  So, I think it's a logistical and practical decision, rather than financial.  Maybe they'll reverse it over time, but I can at least see their potential thinking on it - the marketplace has changed and they're adapting to work with it.
  • ClowanceClowance Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    we book at 10-11 pm purely to get it cheaper, but its a pain at that time having to put it all away, would much prefer it earlier in day (but we are not working from home, so would need to be 6-8pm). Surely nobody wants to pay top whack for inconvenient times?

:j Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!:j
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clowance said:
    we book at 10-11 pm purely to get it cheaper, but its a pain at that time having to put it all away, would much prefer it earlier in day (but we are not working from home, so would need to be 6-8pm). Surely nobody wants to pay top whack for inconvenient times?

You are right of course, and I expect it the price increase sticks the more convenient times will have a premium added

• fuzzysaverfuzzysaver Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Honestly the flat pricing just seems like a ploy to try to get more people to sign up to their delivery saver scheme. Which would be all well  and good if not for the 6 month contract length. If you've already paid for slots up front then what are the chances that people will shop around elsewhere? That's before even mentioning what has been a dramatically reduced selection of some ranges online vs. in store.

Feels super underhanded.
  • lib21bylib21by Forumite
    8 posts
    Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
    I have been a happy 'weekly' delivery shopper, but now will look to maybe go once a fortnight delivery, and go for more frozen goods to overcome the time period, as I was having to cater for some fresh goods going off. And that way I will maybe have more over 40 pound deliveries.
  • warby68warby68 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    It IS about demand and fairness according to Tesco rather than a price increase as such.
    At least one other did it a while back. I was monitoring quite a few a month or two back but can't remember which one it was now, just noticed same price for every slot and think it was 5.99? Possibly Ocado.
    Most supermarkets tend to go a similar way with their models so chopping and changing may only be a short term gain.
    Yes its a big leap for some but I think its understood the current charges don't cover the costs so when more and more people want to use the service its bound to lead to change in the model.
    Delivery Saver is usually worthwhile - hopefully they will open that up soon. They have only just started charging again for it. I seem to have had mine for free while slots were restricted.