PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Bungalow not selling, what would you do?

Options

Comments

• Unicorn_cottage
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    GDB2222 said:
    Be wary of Crashy comments. I blocked him ages ago as he is like a stuck record.
    He commented 4 minutes before you posted that, but how would you know, if you still had him blocked?

@GDB2222 - because I can see who has commented mostly recently but not what he says. He just recently said something vile about one of the posters and really hope he has been reported for it. I can only see his comments when someone quotes him.
    Thanks. @Hazyjo explained that. I've never blocked anyone, so I hadn't realised that you still see that they've posted.

Don't you ever want to have a little look, to see what they've said? :)

No. Why would I have a little look at someone who parrots the same thing over and over again? The themes are "Your home is overpriced", "There is going to be a massive housing price crash and you house owners will all be sorry!" and when he is feeling particularly sorry with his own lot "Don't buy that house FTB as after the crash you will be in negative equity and you will die in poverty!"

Sorry but I don't do bitter and twisted.
    Just so you know, Crashy said: What advice would you give the OP to sell their bungalow?

It seems a fair question. So far, correct me if I'm wrong, I think your only contribution has been "Ignore Crashy". That's quite useful, but perhaps not the nugget the OP was looking for.  :)

You posed a question so I answered.
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Right.....lets actually help the OP rather than squabbling like little children shall we?

If you are happy posting the rm listing then please do, if you would rather pm it, thats fine and I can cast an impartial eye over it, I viewed about 40 properties last year as both me and my parents were looking at bungalows.
    No harm in getting a second opinion, PB don't need to know and probably wouldn't care.  My theory is one of 3 things applies:
    1. your demographic are still isolating or being cautious, nothing wrong with that
    2. your demographic don't use the internet or are missing it because they don't know who/what purple bricks is.
    3. They haven't had their properties sell yet or took them off the market during lockdown and are holding off for now.

If it was me I would actually get 3 local agents in, each will have their own ideas of what needs to be done, then if you think PB will work then just steal the best ideas
    Most EA`s are not going to pop up and start brainstorming "ideas" to sell your property IMO.They are going to tell you what you want to hear about the price to get your business and hope that someone viewing it on the internet or in person decides to buy it (and that their bank plays along) so they can get their commission, they probably just hunker down in the office the rest of the time taking phone calls and trying to net more would be sellers, most are probably surviving on their lettings business and gouging landlords for money now. 
  • coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Unless you are very anxious to sell at any cost, I would have patience, dump PB, and adopt bob's suggestion to get 3 Estate Agents to give you their advice. Stick with your original circa £300k price and sit back and wait. My own view is that you will be successful.
    If you are desperate to move out asap, you will need to lose money and act differently. Good luck.
  • nnewtoarea
    nnewtoarea Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Problem with PB is they will not actively call or email the targeted buyers. EAs sent list of properties to registered buyers on their books. 
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My best advice would be to wait a couple of months for many many people the near future if so unclear regardless of age that buying a property is not a priority. If you took it off the market completely and then launch at a later date again to many it will look like a new listing
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I see that you have not privided a link to listing or said what area of the country you live in.
    Personally I would provide a link in case there is anything that is obviously putting people off in photos or description.
    Agree that older people might not be prepared to enter strangers houses at the moment but it could be that you have modernised/personalised the property to the extent that they see a lot of revision needed.

• bucksbloke
    bucksbloke Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments, we are going to try one of the local estate agents whoare about 5 minutes from where we live and seem to have a good track record of selling houses including a few bungalows.  Hopefully this will yield results but if it doesn't then we haven't lost anything.
    Ideally you want an agent that has very little in Bungalow stock, then everytime some calls, they will push yours. 
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    Thanks all for the comments, we are going to try one of the local estate agents whoare about 5 minutes from where we live and seem to have a good track record of selling houses including a few bungalows.  Hopefully this will yield results but if it doesn't then we haven't lost anything.
    Ideally you want an agent that has very little in Bungalow stock, then everytime some calls, they will push yours. 
    Chances are there is an oversupply of bungalows, not a shortage.
  • fishfingerbutties
    Options
    I'm in a similar predicament at the moment. I have a bungalow and was selling it last year, but chain fell through and then I decided to wait it out post brexit and put back on this year, then covid came along. I listed using a high street agent, although the house I was buying was listed via PB. I know a lot of people seem to have a lot of hatred towards PB, but I found it okay - the price was sensible which is the main thing. 

However, I am quite a lot younger than the typical bungalow buyer, and it was a real eyeopener. You need to definitely appeal to that portion of the market, by which I mean ditch the PB. You may get lucky, but I found you really need someone to sell the appeal. A lot of the people looking will be downsizing maybe from family homes they have lived in for many years, and the human aspect goes a long way. I know it sounds a bit guff, but it's just my experience.

I haven't put my bungalow back on yet because I don't need to move right now as working remotely full time until next year. I've seen quite a few bungalows nearby go up for sale (I live in an area with a lot of them) and they just aren't shifting. Lots of the houses nearby are getting sold signs up, but the bungalows less so. I think everyone is playing a bit of wait and see still and if people don't need to move, they aren't (which is again more likely with downsizers).

Just my observations of course, I don't know your local market. But my gut feel would be to ditch the PB, get a local agent, but also be patient.
  • Crashy_Time
    Options
    Patience will be key IMO.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business