Watching football stream in HD?

Options
J_B
J_B Posts: 6,444 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
I've subscribed to my (2nd tier) club's live streaming for the rest of the season.
Reading between the lines it's an EPL thing from I Follow (?)
I wasn't overly impressed with the quality whereas some on our club's forum said the quality was great
Asus laptop with Nvidia Geoforce 820m graphics, which I plug into out HD TV with an HDMI cable. 30 Mbps broadband
A couple of suggestions on the club forum included changing the power settings to 'High Performance' and closing the lid.

Anything else I can do??

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Shrink the window size and the quality appears to be better.  So many variations of HD.  720,1080 or other
    and just as important what bitrate? 

Not sure if its changed but youtubers were uploading 1080 content as 4k to get a decent 1080 bitrate. 

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Wifi  to laptop. laptop to TV .
    Whats it like watching on the laptop connected via Ethernet .

FAQS read as one camera recording the lower divisions .The big clubs get 4 .
  • J_B
    Options
    JJ_Egan said:
    Wifi  to laptop. laptop to TV .
    Whats it like watching on the laptop connected via Ethernet .
    Not tried ethernet - will maybe do on Saturday.
  • inspectorperez
    Options
    Signed up for a free 7 day HD trial with Now TV last Tuesday. The paid for add on is £3 per month. Wednesday evening streaming was superb, a much improved quality to what we were used to and was certainly on a par to channels BBC/ITV HD. Last night was very poor initially for about 10 minutes. Switched router off, waited a few minutes and then back on again, brought the quality back to what it was previous evening.
    Will probably cancel before the full 7 days have elapsed, but have seen enough now to make an informed judgement when it comes to reviewing options for next season.
    This was viewed on a 4 year old smart TV.

• JJ_Egan
    Options
    Yes known help for streaming .
    Clear cache
    Reboot router .
  • J_B
    edited 27 June 2020 at 10:41PM
    Options
    Evening all - another Saturday, another defeat 😟 but sadly the quality of the video matched the quality of the football
    Power settings onto 'high power', laptop lid closed, data cable used, not wifi, rebooted the router.
    I messed with Chrome (I can't make it work on Firefox) at half time and concluded that Nvidia wasn't set to work with Chrome (that's probably not the right wording, sorry) so set it up right (I thought) but it was no better.
    In device manager I have two display adapters, Intel (R) HD Graphics Family and Nvidia Geo Force 820M
    Anything else I can do? 🤔
  • inspectorperez
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious here as you seem to be an experienced poster! Not quite understanding why you need the laptop to be involved in the streaming content which you want to view on your smart(?) TV?
    Can you not simply stream direct from the provider via internet browser access on the TV or through a firestick for example?
  • J_B
    Options
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious here as you seem to be an experienced poster! Not quite understanding why you need the laptop to be involved in the streaming content which you want to view on your smart(?) TV?
    Can you not simply stream direct from the provider via internet browser access on the TV or through a firestick for example?
    Hmm, internet browser on TV ... never used that, but could maybe investigate.Don't have a firestick or any other sticks for that matter as I'm not a big TV watcher really. TV is an old smart one which will not update to C5 catch up since they changed it a while ago.
  • inspectorperez
    Options
    J_B said:
    Hmm, internet browser on TV ... never used that, but could maybe investigate.Don't have a firestick or any other sticks for that matter as I'm not a big TV watcher really. TV is an old smart one which will not update to C5 catch up since they changed it a while ago.
    Maybe that is something to investigate.
    My smart tv is a bit long in the tooth, but is part of my home network and I am able to watch live-streamed coverage of my favourite sports often through YouTube or Facebook links.
    I have to say the inexpensive fire stick has added a new dimension to the way I can now watch televised sport or other non sport media from time to time.
    Having seen how smart the latest smart TVs are, I think that might be my next move when the clearance sales are on.
    But good luck because it is just so frustrating when the blurry screen appears and you miss some of the action.
    PS. I do use a TP link signal extender which has boosted or enhanced the connectivity with the home router which is in another room.
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Start with the source . Do other users find it poor .
    Then try different media players and settings on laptop .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback