New Post Advanced Search

Jelf / Aviva home insurance refund

35 replies 14.9K views

Replies

• SinkbuddySinkbuddy Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    You could take Legal Advice about being miss sold a policy and claim compensation as well. If you have legal expenses cover on your home insurance then give them a call they may be able to assist you.

• Clemmie3Clemmie3 Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    spea said:
    I have had an email from Marsh Commercial saying the letter is genuine and the envelope is fine.  They also said that due to the rebranding (Jelf to MC) the letterhead was old, hence the broken web link.
    Thanks so much for the update. 
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sinkbuddy said:
    You could take Legal Advice about being miss sold a policy and claim compensation as well. If you have legal expenses cover on your home insurance then give them a call they may be able to assist you.

Which would be a complete waste of time as a review like this is to find out if they have been missold and corrective action taken.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Alan_DashAlan_Dash Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    A few things seem a bit strange: 1.  The letter is not dated  2.  My address has the wrong county (I do live on the border between two counties)  3.  Freepost address has no postcode or PO Box.  I was suspicious - reluctant to give bank details.  I phoned the 03330 number 15/6/20 (which resulted in 'giving away' my mobile phone number and my date of birth) and requested cheque to be sent - apparently will arrive within 20 days!   BTW I was told that the Freepost envelope had a code on the back for the Post Office (code is JIB BRE 0520 - didn't mean anything in Google).  Still not sure if this is a scam.  No cheque has arrived yet - anybody else received anything ?  Should I be worried?
    102.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    1.  The letter is not dated  

They are prepared a fair while in advance and don't know when exactly it will be posted.

2.  My address has the wrong county (I do live on the border between two counties)  

They will go by the address you gave them when the policy was in force.

3.  Freepost address has no postcode or PO Box. 

Not at all suspicious.  That is how modern PO Box addresses work.

Still not sure if this is a scam.  

Its not a scam.

Should I be worried?

Not in the slightest. 

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • edited 27 June at 2:54PM
    davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    18.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 June at 2:54PM
    Alan_Dash said:
    Freepost address has no postcode or PO Box...BTW I was told that the Freepost envelope had a code on the back for the Post Office (code is JIB BRE 0520 - didn't mean anything in Google).  Still not sure if this is a scam.
    We've discussed the Freepost upthread. Bit odd if you've never encountered something similar before (is it only me who remembers "FREEPOST You've Been Framed"?) but even if you hadn't, what would be the scam?

• edited 10 July at 6:45PM
    Clemmie3Clemmie3 Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    edited 10 July at 6:45PM
    Hello again. I thought I had finished posting on this forum but another development. After my suspicions were allayed I sent off my signed forms in the envelopes provided 3 weeks ago. Today I received a letter from Jelf saying they haven't received my signed forms and they've sent more . The letter says that if they don't receive them within 14 days they will shut my file. This letter is dated the 1st July. I don't know what to make of it. 
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    6.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clemmie3 said:
    Hello again. I thought I had finished posting on this forum but another development. After my suspicions were allayed I sent off my signed forms in the envelopes provided 3 weeks ago. Today I received a letter from Jelf saying they haven't received my signed forms and they've sent more. The letter says that if they don't receive them within 14 days they will shut my file. This letter is dated the 1st July. I don't know what to make of it. 
    Then return this set, royal mail do not have 100% success rate with all items using their service, or Jelf's admin staff haven't reached yours to scan it / acknowledge on their system that it was received.

Template / standard letters are batch prepared / printed in advance and if yours was received after the date they were done it still gets sent out as there isn't the time to go through 1000's of letters to check if a response has been received in between.
    102.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    At 3 weeks, it is quite possible that it wasnt enough time to get your off the second mailing.  i.e. it goes to the PO box, gets scanned and then someone applies it to your record. On something like this, which is low priority, that could easily take up to 30 days.   Given the volume of these, they would likely be sitting in a virtual pile waiting to looked at.   The print run for the next letter would take the list probably from around 10-15 days earlier.     So, some overlap is likely.
  • Clemmie3Clemmie3 Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    Thanks for your replies. I've sent these new forms off today.