New Post Advanced Search

Jelf / Aviva home insurance refund

35 replies 17.6K views

Replies

• martindowmartindow Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to my letter, the refund offered is an average figure from checking a sample of people who overpaid.  You have the option of asking for an exact calculation for your particular case which could be higher or lower than the sum offered.  I'm not a gambling type so I've accepted their offer.
    Did they find these errors themselves or were they pushed by the FCA or some other organisation and told to make refunds?
  • BeaconjonBeaconjon Forumite
    5 posts
    Fifth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    martindow said:
    According to my letter, the refund offered is an average figure from checking a sample of people who overpaid.  You have the option of asking for an exact calculation for your particular case which could be higher or lower than the sum offered.  I'm not a gambling type so I've accepted their offer.
    Did they find these errors themselves or were they pushed by the FCA or some other organisation and told to make refunds?
    That's exactly how I read it. 
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    102.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Reading the form they want me to sign, I am basically agreeing that the sum offered is acceptable and I guess I will not chase the matter in the future. 

Which is correct.  There should be nothing to chase in future as the whole point of a review is to put it right now. On something like a premium adjustment, there should be nothing to worry about in the future.   If it was an investment/pension, then its slightly different as it would put it right to this point but you would need to do something about what happens in future (i.e. move the pension/investment to something suitable). 

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • paddyandstumpypaddyandstumpy Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if this was anything to do with 50plus insurance services, which was shut down in the mid 10's, if I recall correctly. I only mention them to see if any of the posters recall having a policy with them back then, to see if that may be the link?

This broker used Aviva before they were shut, and the broker who used that brand was owned by Bluefin, which became Jelf, which became Marsh. 

I know people who back in the day used to work there, they were fly by night salesman who focussed on commission rather than best interests for their customers. 
  • Clemmie3Clemmie3 Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    The envelope doesn't have a P. O. Box number or a proper address, it just says "Freepost - Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd". How would the postman know where to deliver it to? I'm not sure if it's a scam or not. 
  • davidmcndavidmcn Forumite
    18.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clemmie3 said:
    The envelope doesn't have a P. O. Box number or a proper address, it just says "Freepost - Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd". How would the postman know where to deliver it to? I'm not sure if it's a scam or not. 
    Lots of Freepost addresses are like that:
    Why would a scammer want you to send an envelope which wasn't going to be delivered to anyone?

• edited 13 June at 11:22AM
    martindowmartindow Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 June at 11:22AM
    That's fine as a freepost address as David says.  Here's a Radio 4 donations address for example
    Freepost BBC Radio 4 Appeal.
    That's it - no postcode or town is included.

• speaspea Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I was suspicious of this letter too.  It does not help that the privacy notice web address on the bottom of the letter takes you to a 404 error page (assuming I haven't made a typo!)  I called up the London office (got the number from the website) & the receptionist confirmed this was not a scam but said she could put me through to someone to discuss it, which I agreed to, & then she promptly cut me off!
  • Clemmie3Clemmie3 Forumite
    7 posts
    First Post
    I'm still not sure if it's genuine or not. I haven't sent mine off yet. The letter says there is a 28 day deadline but the letter itself is not dated. I typed "Jelf" into Twitter and it showed that a couple of people have sent photos of their letters to Marsh Commercial who are apparently the same company but with a new name. Marsh Commercial said they would look into it. I keep checking Twitter every day but I haven't heard any developments yet. 
  • speaspea Forumite
    2 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have had an email from Marsh Commercial saying the letter is genuine and the envelope is fine.  They also said that due to the rebranding (Jelf to MC) the letterhead was old, hence the broken web link.