Forum Home» Health & Beauty MoneySaving

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries June 2020 - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries June 2020

152 replies 5.1K views

Replies

• VALMVALM Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lantanna said:
    I like Mac lipsticks dolly, never tried the eyeshadows. Other than my LF box I should have no ins this month. Saving hard for my mortgage deposit so I have to behave. 
    I’m the other way around. I own a few MAC lipsticks (Chilli, Dare You, Mehr and Patisserie). Whilst I like the colours I don’t like the smell of them. I love their eyeshadow formula and also love their Radiance primer. The only other MAC product I own is the Bare Study paint pot. Having found the Revlon eyeshadow primer I doubt i’ll repurchase this product.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    VALM said:
    For some reason MSE doesn’t like the Quote function today. In response to the posts from lantanna and dolly84:-

Of  all the lipstick formulas I own I really like Marc Jacobs, Bare Minerals and Colourpop. I do prefer to be able to see a lipstick IRL when buying so more likely to repurchase Bare Minerals. I have an old Laura Geller lipstick which is a lovely formula which I think is discontinued and a Tarte one which is a lovely formula too, The problem with these two brands is they are only available on QVC and are usually available in kit firm, I certainly don’t need more,  The one High End lipstick formula that I am really disappointed by is Bobbi Brown. These don’t perform any better than the Revlon lipsticks I own.

I decided quite a long time ago that I prefer a good tinted lip balm (with a decent tint) or the Revlon balm crayons, I particularly like the Revlon ones, they have loads of colour and are quite glossy and when the gloss wears off it leaves a pretty stain.  I will continue to work through the lipsticks I own and in the future will probably not buy.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 18/66
  • asajjasajj Forumite
    5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    dolly84 said:
    Every month I swap my eyeshadow palette so yesterday I put away the Stila one I had been using in May and got out my MAC Cool Neutral palette.  This is a 15 pan palette and was very expensive, I have hardly used it though as it is rubbish, anyway I am giving it a few goes but if I still feel that way it is going, the money is already wasted so hanging on to it and not using it is not going to change that.  I generally feel that MAC is overpriced and overrated.
    You can GA used cosmetics on Olio which is essentially a food share app but also has non-food section.

I have GA a Revolution face powder and painted my nails today with Essie - At the Helm - amazing colour.
    £2020 in 2020 / £1678.62

ally.
  • VALMVALM Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    dolly84 said:
    VALM said:
    For some reason MSE doesn’t like the Quote function today. In response to the posts from lantanna and dolly84:-

Of  all the lipstick formulas I own I really like Marc Jacobs, Bare Minerals and Colourpop. I do prefer to be able to see a lipstick IRL when buying so more likely to repurchase Bare Minerals. I have an old Laura Geller lipstick which is a lovely formula which I think is discontinued and a Tarte one which is a lovely formula too, The problem with these two brands is they are only available on QVC and are usually available in kit firm, I certainly don’t need more,  The one High End lipstick formula that I am really disappointed by is Bobbi Brown. These don’t perform any better than the Revlon lipsticks I own.

I decided quite a long time ago that I prefer a good tinted lip balm (with a decent tint) or the Revlon balm crayons, I particularly like the Revlon ones, they have loads of colour and are quite glossy and when the gloss wears off it leaves a pretty stain.  I will continue to work through the lipsticks I own and in the future will probably not buy.
    I’m probably going to sound really picky but there are not many lip products that I find very comfortable. I’ve already mentioned lipsticks. I’ve not tried the Revlon lip crayon but have tried the NARS one ( GWP) and the No7 one,  The NARS one was lovely but I found the No7 one too drying. I’m also not a big fan of plumping lip gloss because I don’t like the feeling. I don’t mind lip lacquer. My favourite is the Avon one that had gloss at the other end. No7 make a good one too. 
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • VALMVALM Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    asajj said:
    I have GA a Revolution face powder and painted my nails today with Essie - At the Helm - amazing colour.
    Googled At the helm. It is beautiful. 

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • dolly84dolly84 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    asajj - Olio doesn't seem to have taken off in my area as yet, I was on it but everything was miles and miles away.  I have put the palette in with the products I am passing to a friend.

VALM - I've only ever had one NARS product and that was a dark berry lipgloss years and years ago.  I don't like the plumping formulas either, I don't like anything high maintenance so liquid lipsticks and laquers are not for me nor is matte lipstick, I roll my lips together a lot when I have product on them and I think that is why balms work best for me, anything too dry comes off in the middle leaving a rim and anything too glossy just collects at the outer corners.

Gave DD a mini pot of Benefit Creaseless Cream Eyeshadow in My Two Cents, it is a gorgeous coppery gold colour, I have grey eyes and this colour makes them look really blue but it doesn't suit my skintone, so my eyes look good if I just look at them but if I look at them in my whole face it doesn't suit me, if any of that makes sense.  These mini pots are almost the same size as the full size and take an age to get through.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 18/66