RM remove Saturday letter delivery

Options

Comments

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,314 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RFW said:
    I just had a customer complaint about delivery. She's quite adamant that there aren't any problems with Royal Mail as she posted a letter last week and it arrived on time. Her conclusion is that I mustn't have posted it.
    Ah yes the ‘something else arrived so you must be lying’ sort of buyer, they probably have no idea of the strain RM is under. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So a little tit bit re Saturdays. This is the breakdown of what does and doesn't go.
    This is an internal document so you wont find this on RMs site
    Note the description of Signed for items on a Saturday

• twhitehousescat
    twhitehousescat Posts: 5,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    so the 2 weeks was a li,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and will continue just like my postie says , for ever 
  • custardy
    Options
    so the 2 weeks was a li,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and will continue just like my postie says , for ever 
    Where did you get 2 weeks from?
    It was always my understanding this was until it is changed.
    Interestingly I heard tales of a unit manager trying to get staff to clear all mail on Saturday as per 'old' delivery spec.
    Caused quite a ruckus I hear.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you notice, it says 'during these special arrangements'.

The website currently says until the 13th June https://www.royalmail.com/d8/saturday-services

(A side note: I recently watched a 90s sitcom episode that referenced 'the second post' - I didn't even know that was ever a thing in modern times!)
  • custardy
    Options

The website currently says until the 13th June https://www.royalmail.com/d8/saturday-services

(A side note: I recently watched a 90s sitcom episode that referenced 'the second post' - I didn't even know that was ever a thing in modern times!)
    June the 13ths a bit longer than 2 weeks ;)
    I wouldnt bank on things reverting at that point. As I have covered earlier RM are swamped and paying lip service to clearance vs cost savings.
    2nd post existed until the late 90s before the 'way forward agreement' came in for 2000 I believe. Before my time at RM
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    edited 18 May 2020 at 7:27PM
    Options
    custardy said:

June the 13ths a bit longer than 2 weeks ;)
    I wouldnt bank on things reverting at that point. As I have covered earlier RM are swamped and paying lip service to clearance vs cost savings.
    2nd post existed until the late 90s before the 'way forward agreement' came in for 2000 I believe. Before my time at RM
    Well indeed, but 'months' is still a far cry from 'forever' :smiley:

Edited to show the smiley, hopefully ...
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

I remember second post. Oddly enough some days I can get 3 RM deliveries, parcels, signed for and regular letters.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,314 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RFW said:

I remember second post. Oddly enough some days I can get 3 RM deliveries, parcels, signed for and regular letters.
    In normal times I occasionally get 2 lots, letters around lunchtime then parcels by van mid afternoon.

i do remember the 2nd post of the day, my 1st post was usually around 8 am and the 2nd around 1pm. If you watch old sit coms or drama programmes they always sat at breakfast reading their post as in most cases 1st post arrived very early. Also If you read old novels like Diary of a Nobody, he got up to 6 post deliveries a day and could send a letter from his office in the morning to let his wife know he was going to be late home that day. Volumes were tiny compared to today though .
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    RFW said:

soolin said:
    RFW said:

In normal times I occasionally get 2 lots, letters around lunchtime then parcels by van mid afternoon.

i do remember the 2nd post of the day, my 1st post was usually around 8 am and the 2nd around 1pm. If you watch old sit coms or drama programmes they always sat at breakfast reading their post as in most cases 1st post arrived very early. Also If you read old novels like Diary of a Nobody, he got up to 6 post deliveries a day and could send a letter from his office in the morning to let his wife know he was going to be late home that day. Volumes were tiny compared to today though .
    Wow! Our delivery comes around lunchtime; for a few months it was as early as 11.30am after having been 1.30pm for a long time. Now it's around 12 in normal times, and I'm not sure what time at the moment but still lunchtime-ish. We're miles away from our DO so we're at the end of the round (although there are two DOs much closer to us, thanks to the oddities of postcodes - one is under 5 mins' drive away! But no complaints, especially as our postman is absolutely brilliant.) 

RFW I remember reading that due to the pandemic they would start doing some multiple deliveries to try to clear the backlog
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback