🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Social Isolation Sucks...

Options

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 5 May 2020 at 12:22PM
    Options
    I think I have sussed out exactly where I am going wrong (aside from an apparent lack of willpower!)

Back in the day, I used to play a lot of games on the PC.  I would chain-smoke while playing.

I have now been stuck indoors for over seven weeks.  All I have to do, (apart from occasional emails SMS and phone calls) is to play games on the PC all day.  I thought I had broken the smoking habit though.  This is so frustrating.  G@D, I cannot wait for this whole thing to be over with.  Just another 5 weeks now and I will be free again....

Thanks for your continued support JD.  I will break the habit again.  I might start watching films on Amazon and Netflix instead of playing games.  It may make a difference...

I really need to get out...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,619 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think you're right Willing.  You need to change what you were doing before.  Do you have a garden you can get out into because if you can you could walk round it, you would still be in isolation.  The fresh air would do you good too.

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,703 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am a non smoker so not sure I can give much constructive advice there but since the lockdown I am definitely more tempted to go towards the biscuit barrel more. Do you think it is boredom or the stress of socially isolating which is making you turn to cigarettes.  Fear of that horrible virus and it being worse for smokers would turn me off them I think quite apart from the money side of things and it taking a massive amount out of your budget.  

I have found that splitting my day up and doing no more than 1.5 hours or 2 hours on one thing is enough to stop me getting bored.  So I am going from reading the newspaper on my ipad to spending an hour or so on MSE to a jigsaw puzzle to housework to book or gardening or exercise to playing the piano or watching a film/TV or baking to keep me from keeping bored. I also try and schedule at least one facetime or zoom meeting a day with family or friends. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Willing2Learn
    edited 5 May 2020 at 12:47PM
    Options
    I am a bit stuck in the past.  I might have a pc, but I don't use things like facetime or zoom.  I don't really know what they are, but apparently google is my friend (so I'll take a peep).

Thanks for your comment

@joedenise
    I live in a flat and share a lovely back garden.  I may start going out on one of the bikes since the weather is so nice.  A bit of fresh air and exercise has to be good for the mind  :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Willing2Learn
    Options
    oh yeah, do either of you know who Jacques Cousteau is?  I used to love watching his travels in to the deep blue.  I just want to follow in his footsteps...

I love my job

• joedenise
    Options
    I've heard of him and have seen stuff on the TV but not a lot of it.  Used to like diving when I was younger but had to give up when I got high blood pressure as I also have COPD and apparently I could dive with one or the other but not both!

• joedenise
    Options
    How's today going Willing?  Hopefully you've managed to keep yourself occupied and non-smoking.
  • Willing2Learn
    edited 5 May 2020 at 7:41PM
    Options
    I've been biting my nails all day.  Only smoked this morning until I ran out.  Spent a lot of time on the forum today, so no gaming for me.

How are you keeping JD?

I'm going to start exercising (on one of my bikes) and take a trip down the canals tomorrow.  (Taking advantage of the fantastic weather)

I love my job

• joedenise
    Options
    Good idea to get some fresh air as well as exercise.  Please keep away from the smokes!  You know it makes sense.  It's so easy to get addicted again.  

I'm keeping OK.  I'm glad I'm not on my own as I have my husband for company and I also have a garden and live near the coast - only about a 5 minute drive away so we often walk along the beach for our exercise.

• joedenise
    Options
    How's it going Willing?  Have you been out and got some fresh air and no cigarettes today?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure