Social Isolation Sucks...

Options

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Oh...just found an unsmoked butt...it is calling my name...must be strong now....  :smiley: 
    Oh wow....now I've only gone and lost the darn thing...
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,598 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh...just found an unsmoked butt...it is calling my name...must be strong now....  :smiley: 
    Oh wow....now I've only gone and lost the darn thing...
    Good!  Throw it away if you find it again.  Come on that's another day nearly done.

• Willing2Learn
    Options
    So, some good news guys and gals.  I wasn't sure how much funds I had stashed away since I stopped using my YNAB.  But now I have a made a fresh start, it turns out I am in a much better position than I previously thought.  Turns out that going nowhere allows you to accrue funds lol.  I'm thinking I might become a hermit and social recluse once this COVID-19 is over.

'Borrowed' one roll-up off of my next door neighbour.  But that is it.  From smoking 25/day to just having one roll-up over two days is pretty good work in my book.

On the scuba front, I am itching to use my new camera.  It is adapted for deep sea diving and is all shiny and new.  It cost me a few quid so I am eager to use it sooner rather than later.  :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• joedenise
    Options
    Good news on starting back with the YNAB and that you are in a better position than you thought.  I don't feel any better off with not being able to go out like before as food is definitely more expensive that it used to be!  I used to spend about £30-40 a week now it's more like £50-60 a week as it seems you can only buy the branded stuff at the moment which is much more expensive that shop's own brands.

Draw the line under that one cigarette and start thinking like a non-smoker.  Find something to do if you fancy a ciggie, go and clean your teeth, peel some potatoes for dinner - anything just until the craving passes, it'll only be a few minutes til it passes.

You can do this.  You've done it before, you can do it again.

• Willing2Learn
    edited 4 May 2020 at 4:39AM
    Options
    joedenise said:
    Draw the line under that one cigarette and start thinking like a non-smoker.  Find something to do if you fancy a ciggie, go and clean your teeth, peel some potatoes for dinner - anything just until the craving passes, it'll only be a few minutes til it passes.

0330 hours and I have just woken up and I have just remembered why YNAB and it's 'zero-based budgeting model is so cool!

So each month, I allocate every penny of income so that zero is left remaining.  One of the budget categories is for cigarettes (bare in mind that I haven't used YNAB for over six months).  Over the previous year I had gradually reduced my cigarette budget from £300/month to zero (at which point I stopped smoking).  The money saved went toward my diving budget.

Back to the present, I have made a new YNAB fresh start budget.  There is no money allocated to cigarettes.  But I just went down the road to buy a drink and something to munch, and I came back with a box of matches and a packet of cigarettes  :(

So, I need to be mentally stronger and resist the temptation.  I have a budget and I will stick to it.  This packet of cigarettes will be smoked in the morning and I WILL NOT buy any more as it is not within my budget.  Simple really.  ;)   I must remember the mantra "I am a non-smoker" and "I will not spend on budget categories that have £0 allocated toward it."

In fact, what I will do in the morning is to drop off the remaining cigarettes to my neighbour.  The same one that gave me the roll-up yesterday.  :)

Now I can return to the land of slumber, in the knowledge that I have a plan :)

I love my job

• joedenise
    Options
    It's always good to have a plan.  Stay strong!  Remember that mantra and keep repeating it to yourself when you're out.  If you've bought cigarettes and matches the money must have come from one of your budgets as you hadn't budgeted for them! You should take it out of your Diving budget as that is where your cigarette money previously went.  If you keep buying cigarettes your diving budget is going to take a big hit - cigarettes are so expensive!

• Willing2Learn
    Options
    In fact, what I will do in the morning is to drop off the remaining cigarettes to my neighbour.  The same one that gave me the roll-up yesterday.  :)
    Well that wasn't expected.  Just knocked on my neighbour's door to give him a packet of Marlboro containing 15 cigarettes and the offer was refused.  He said "They're not strong enough and that he only wants rolling tobacco."  I mean, well yes, I was a bit selfish with my motivation, but hey, I didn't expect that.  So I guess I'll just have to throw them away now.  :neutral: 

I love my job

• joedenise
    Options
    Yes, unless you know someone else who will smoke them.  You really don't want them in the house in case you weaken.  Remember the mantra - I am a non-smoker!
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    This is where I am getting confused.  If I am a non-smoker, then why would I have a budget for tobacco related products.  Must buy more chocolates and sweets....that can be part of my budget lol...

I love my job

• joedenise
    Options
    Not sure about a budget for chocolates and sweets - you'll end up the size of a house if you eat too much!

Maybe start a new hobby and use the money for that.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback