Are you still selling/buying on Ebay?

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary

If your wanting to buy things online during lockdown, the best way to ensure it's delivered on time is to order on Amazon with Amazon Prime. Every single item I have ordered has arrived on time despite various warnings on the site that deliveries might be delayed.
    Amazon have given themselves licence to dispense with next day delivery promise and have added days to expected delivery.
    It's actually what they used to do at busy times but they got into trouble for mis-selling the Prime service.

It mostly works quite well, I did have one ranting email from a customer who told me I had changed delivery estimate several times and I was trying to cheat her in some way. All the postage estimates were from Amazon, I neither have the time nor inclination or ability to mess about with them.
  • mimi1234
    mimi1234 Posts: 7,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was selling quite a bit on Ebay, but I've stopped now for good, for two reasons. (Still Buying on Ebay though).
    Firstly because of the Lockdown situation, I'm not that desperate to sell that I'm willing to take the additional risk of infection by standing in the Post Office.
    Secondly, I'm absolutely fed up with Buyers abusing Ebay's Return System and having to give my money/items away to thieves.
    I am with you on this.  There seem to be a lot scammers out there and they seem to have reared their ugly heads all at once.

I have one or two bits listed but once those are gone, I am done.  
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm still selling, I sell used clothing and sales quantity wise are still good. However, what I have noticed is that things are now mostly going for the opening bid. That's fine as I always start the price at the lowest I would let the item go for but I think a lot of people, having time to spare, are taking advantage of grabbing a bargain at the listing ends where 6 months ago there would be multiple bids on items. 
    Initially I thought I would stop selling for a while but I had some items on auto-relist and had forgotten to take them off. I've come to the conclusion that people are still needing clothes for the nice weather and those who are thinking that they may still be able to go away later in the year are buying summer clothes now as when they do get to go back in the shops the autumn stock will be on display (although there will probably be a lot of summer bargains to be had) and I've also sold a lot of babywear for a couple of friends.
    One thing I have noticed is the increase in non paying bidders. Ive had 4 in 2 weeks and all of them were newbies who had just joined Ebay and I don't think they really know what they are doing.
    I am kicking myself though as I took about 30 jigsaws to a charity shop a couple of weeks before the lockdown as I decided that I didn't really have time to complete them. I had sold some previously but always photograph them completed if I'm selling them and couldn't be bothered to do them again so donated them. Now I have all the time in the world to do them and they are bringing a ridiculous amount on Ebay for the type I had.
    Postage wise I've had no problems. I'm still getting good feedback for fast delivery and I've had no lates yet, touch wood!
    I ordered a PS4 game for my nephew last Wednesday morning and it arrived Friday morning even though the estimated delivery date on the order was 22nd May.  Likewise, I ordered a birthday card from Moonpig on Saturday morning, when placing the order there was a message re being extremely busy and delivery dates extended but at arrived yesterday, 48 hours after order.

• kalsha
    kalsha Posts: 1,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    As Swingaloo said, I have had lot of non-payers in the last month - all newbies who seemed to have joined Ebay just to buy something and got lost or don't know  how Ebay works!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    There certainly seems to be buyers around , I've sold several things that I've had listed for months without any interest at all, I suspect people are beginning to get bored at home and are buying bits and bobs again.

Like others have said though, lots of activity or hobby type things are selling.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    I bought something on ebay the other day, 2nd class RM, but the seller refunded because he wanted it collected instead. I thought it was odd, but perhaps the potential defect issue is why. I would have thought that collecting Ebay purchases is non essential
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I closed for a month, but then decided this will go on for months, so reopened.     Sales have gone through the roof, but I had 4 INRs yesterday and a “where is my item” message this morning.

One buyer said it can’t be a problem with the post as she has received everything else she ordered.     Royal Mail need to put out a statement to say that most of the post is getting through, but there may be occasional problems.   

ebay are removing late delivery defects, but assume INR cases will count against you ?

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • ladyholly
    ladyholly Posts: 2,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I have put a message on all my listings that although I will post promptly some mail is taking much longer than usual. When something sell I message the buyer to say I have posted their item and remind them tha some post is being delayed.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,019 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    charlies_mum said:
    One buyer said it can’t be a problem with the post as she has received everything else she ordered.    

One of my most reviled phrases. It really makes no sense.
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 929 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I don't sell things often but just had an item I wanted to try and sell and am completely shocked by the fees ebay now charge to sell stuff. No listing fee then 10% of final price! That's crazy. I prefer the old method of paying a couple quid to list then a couple of percent of sale price.

Ebay has gone from a great place to trade used items between everyday people, to a place where its mostly new stuff, hardly any auctions (its all buy it now) and prices are at a premium.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback