New Post Advanced Search

Are you still selling/buying on Ebay?

49 replies 2.6K views
I sell our own unwanted stuff on Ebay and stopped about four weeks ago when my listings ended.  I am unsure whether to start selling again as we have sorted out loads of things that we no longer need or want.  I can combine posting with daily exercise but not sure whether its the right thing to do.  Opinions would be welcome.

Replies

• edited 15 April at 12:58PM
    Lazydayz71Lazydayz71 Forumite
    136 posts
    100 Posts
    edited 15 April at 12:58PM
    I was selling quite a bit on Ebay, but I've stopped now for good, for two reasons. (Still Buying on Ebay though).
    Firstly because of the Lockdown situation, I'm not that desperate to sell that I'm willing to take the additional risk of infection by standing in the Post Office.
    Secondly, I'm absolutely fed up with Buyers abusing Ebay's Return System and having to give my money/items away to thieves.
  • edited 15 April at 1:40PM
    soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    65.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 April at 1:40PM
    I sell our own unwanted stuff on Ebay and stopped about four weeks ago when my listings ended.  I am unsure whether to start selling again as we have sorted out loads of things that we no longer need or want.  I can combine posting with daily exercise but not sure whether its the right thing to do.  Opinions would be welcome.
    There are a lot of discussions on various boards asking this question, lots of responses all saying different things. Many post offices remain closed so if you do start selling make sure you have access to one. If you use a mail centre over the counter be aware of their new very short opening hours, but if like me you use PPI on business mail then it should be fine as my mail centre is still open for that with their usual extended hours. 

I suspect that some sellers may consider reopening tomorrow as if they opted for the no fees for a closed shop, the 15 days closed needed to qualify for half fees this month should be up tomorrow. 

Just be aware that late defects are a real issue with many areas not getting a guaranteed daily delivery. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • edited 16 April at 11:55AM
    RFWRFW Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 April at 11:55AM
    soolin said:
    Just be aware that late defects are a real issue with many areas not getting a guaranteed daily delivery. 
    Deliveries are certainly an issue. Personally never received any post from Wednesday until the following Wednesday. Technically that was only Thurs, Sat and Tuesday missed. We did end up with 3 separate RM deliveries on the Wednesday.
    I'm seeing the occasional similarity with post I'm sending out, nothing unmanageable though and most people seem relatively ok with it. If anything we should be praising RM for carrying on in difficult circumstances.
    Years ago when I sold a lot on Ebay I vowed to not sell anything that needed to be with a courier over Easter, I'd forgotten that this year so ended up with a few who bought late on Thursday and were annoyed they hadn't received before Tuesday when that was really the first day I could send. It's even worse selling on Amazon as their delivery service doesn't even have Sunday off.
    I've also given up selling on Ebay for now, and probably for good (again!). Amazon sales have gone crazy, probably running at 1000 to 1 against Ebay when I closed up.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    30.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still buying stuff, mostly electronics and a lot from China still.  Only buying new stuff, nothing used.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Lazydayz71Lazydayz71 Forumite
    136 posts
    100 Posts
    RFW said:
    I've also given up selling on Ebay for now, and probably for good (again!). Amazon sales have gone crazy, probably running at 1000 to 1 against Ebay when I closed up.
    I've never tried selling anything on Amazon.
    Would it suit someone like myself selling a few high value items a month? Or is it more suited to high volume business sellers?

• edited 17 April at 7:28PM
    hollydayshollydays Forumite
    19.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 April at 7:28PM
    I'm using this time to list the excess stuff I have that I've never got round to listing . Having a clear out. I'm not noticing the usual volume of bidders and I can't seem to make my usual prices, but that may also be because I'm not sourcing new stock.Fortunately this year a bought summer stock off ebay in the winter when the prices were lower , so I've got a bit of that to be going on with
  • RFWRFW Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    RFW said:
    I've never tried selling anything on Amazon.
    Would it suit someone like myself selling a few high value items a month? Or is it more suited to high volume business sellers?

I've no idea what you sell. It isn't suited to everyone and if you think Ebay protect the buyer then Amazon do it on steroids!
    I manufacture and have my own brand so don't have competitors on individual items. It's a different entity to Ebay, check if there are items on there that you sell and if they're selling.

• pearl123pearl123 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly because of the Lockdown situation, I'm not that desperate to sell that I'm willing to take the additional risk of infection by standing in the Post Office.
    I'm not selling anything or buying.I think we need to be socially responsible. 
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    65.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am considering reopening my business shop properly on 1st May, I’ve already started to list auctions again to make use of the £1 FVF offer for businesses. There isn’t much activity but then my stuff is all a bit random really, my private account though is doing very well, vastly better than usual  as I’m selling odds and ends from around the house, I’d parts for toys , odds and ends etc. 
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • lindenslindens Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am still buying and selling on Ebay. I sell mainly clothes and have delisted bulky items. I print off my postage labels and post through a post box 80% of the time. I have also extended my dispatch time to 5 days but still aim to post in 2 or 3. This appears to be saving me from moaners and INR cases so far, of which many sellers are being inundated
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *