66 replies 3.6K views
123457»

Replies

• HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    venison said:
    Sometimes you just want to chuck your laptop through the window don't you ????? B)
    Agree this site is getting very glitchy? But I am old school sitting here with my steam driven 2002 very large heavy and EXTREMELY slow desktop. Would now struggle to lift it. o:)
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was going to suggest https://uk.whogivesacrap.org/ to the OP for his loo paper needs, but they're sold out atm!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • edited 15 April at 11:44PM
    HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 April at 11:44PM
    Savvy_Sue said:
    I was going to suggest https://uk.whogivesacrap.org/ to the OP for his loo paper needs, but they're sold out atm!
    Watch out posters who are not deferential and any hidden meanings appear to get their posts deleted and warnings given on this thread.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hasbeen said:
    Savvy_Sue said:
    Watch out posters who are not deferential and any hidden meanings appear to get their posts deleted and warnings given on this thread.
    What are you suggesting? They are a genuine purveyor of loo paper!!!  :smile:
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • edited 27 April at 6:22AM
    deannatroisdeannatrois Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 April at 6:22AM
    I am someone who is not on the very vulnerable list, doesn't really want help but yep, I do have health conditions that mean if I get coronavirus I will probably not do so well.  I can walk and do go shopping, but if there is a queue, I can't manage that.  I went into my local Asda last week and managed to have both a hypo and a panic attack at the same time!  Because of my autism, trying to manage arrows directing you where you don't want to go, pain from arthritis, worrying if my asthma will scare everyone around me into thinking i have coronavirus (because of coughing),  figuring out what you need to do differently in each shop as well as find products and keeping away from anyone else is quite difficult.   I have two children with autism with very limited lists of what they will eat, so a volunteer would probably think I was insane looking at my 'essential' but officially non essential shopping list.  So I do the shopping. Taking the risks I have to.

However, after the Asda trip,  I phoned my GP practice, explained I had problems shopping and why, and didn't know what to do, waited all day for a call back and when it came it was from a GP on the hub, who said I sounded like I should be on the very vulnerable list but he couldn't do it.  Try again tomorrow lol. I haven't because I just can't go through the humiliation of explaining to a receptionist again why I am having problems, in the hope that this time I will be put through to the right GP.., so I can explain again and again (they can refer you to something called Imago, whatever that is, for assessment).  The system is very confusing.  I don't have the listed conditions so it would probably be a waste of time.  So I go out, keeping as safe as possible.

I try to find shops without queues and have managed, but it has cost more.  I can pay but please don't say this hasn't affected our pockets.  i just don't have local shops with much in the way of food that I need for my children. I haven't yet managed to find an online shopping slot. Amazon doesn't have the sort of things I need, what they do have is very expensive.  There are a couple of shops that do deliveries of essentials (as do Aldi now) but its not stuff we'd eat.  I went spare trying to find some flour last week and had to give up, totally drained. Buses here now only run every half hour (and I'm lucky there are buses every half hour, not everyone has that).  I'm normally in a lot of pain when I get home.

Its not quite as easy to deal with coronavirus isolation shopping as some posts on here are making out.  I personally am managing, but with risks.  The 'help' isn't quite as easily available for everyone as one would think reading the posts on here. Try and understand that not everyone finds people (strangers/volunteers) as easy to handle as you do.  I'm not eating properly, I keep busy in the house to reduce anxiety but it is all quite draining.  My 24 year old son was so stressed (he's twice the size of me) I had to call the police, thank god I managed to calm him down but it wasn't easy and very emotional.. He is now in the process of applying for telephone counselling for long term difficulties.   

Telling someone its all their fault for being 'negative' isn't actually overly helpful.  Its judgemental.  If I listened to the news, I'd think it was all to hand.  It isn't.
  • edited 27 April at 9:20AM
    KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 April at 9:20AM
    In the early days of panic buying, several parents of autistic children posted on a local Covid help group, looking for the only food items their children would eat. 

Everyone understood why they were posting and multiple people got for them the specific branded items they needed.

I realise you find people hard to deal with but I don't think you are giving those same people enough credit.  Your list absolutely would be essential because those are the only foods your sons can eat. I am far the only one that would understand that.