New Post Advanced Search

Disabled support from the Government on Covid 19

66 replies 3.6K views

Replies

• bspmbspm Forumite
    541 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You have not been told to shield, you believe you should shield as you have multiple health issues, but, unfortunately, none of your health issues are listed on the Extremely Vulnerable list that they have implemented and are currently using to the best of their knowledge.
    You appear to enjoy (?) winding people up.,
    You are extremely negative but if it helps you pass the time away hey I get that.
  • edited 13 April at 10:43AM
    unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 April at 10:43AM
    For removal of doubt, this is the current list for those that should be shielding

What do we mean by extremely vulnerable?

People falling into this extremely vulnerable group include:

1. Solid organ transplant recipients.

2. People with specific cancers:
      • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy
      • people with lung cancer who are undergoing radical radiotherapy
      • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
      • people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
      • people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
      • people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
    3. People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD.

4. People with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell).

5. People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection.

6. Women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired.
    I come in at No. 5
    I would have been in 2 as well but my chemo stopped as soon as I was put on shielding
  • bspmbspm Forumite
    541 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    For removal of doubt, this is the current list for those that should be shielding

What do we mean by extremely vulnerable?

People falling into this extremely vulnerable group include:

1. Solid organ transplant recipients.

2. People with specific cancers:
      • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy
      • people with lung cancer who are undergoing radical radiotherapy
      • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
      • people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
      • people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
      • people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
    3. People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD.

4. People with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell).

5. People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection.

6. Women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired.
    I come in at No. 5
    I would have been in 2 as well but my chemo stopped as soon as I was put on shielding
    And I come in at number 3.
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:

Yes - we are both self isolating through choice - but it should not be through choice - I should be on the "list"
    The "list" is inconsistant and misses many health issues such as Parkinsons !
    I am also diabetic, as is my wife - who has a BMI of over 40 - so should not have gone out into the community in the first place - she has now picked up a nasty sounding cough !
    I don't want to risk my health for the sake of widespread herd immunity experimentation by the government !
    addendum :
    Actually - looking at the list - it does say that those at higher risk includes BMI over 40 and Parkinsons - which means that we should both self isolate for the duration - so that puts a different spin on it - doesn't it ?

Below is the shielding list, The one you appear to be looking at is for Increased risk.

People falling into this highest clinical risk group include:
    1. Solid organ transplant recipients 2. People with specific cancers:
    2 . people with cancer and are having chemotherapy • people with lung cancer and are having radical radiotherapy  • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment • people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer • people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors • people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
    3. People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD
     4. People with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell)
    5. People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection

Increased risk.
    This is from https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/news/understanding-coronavirus-and-parkinsons

On 22 March 2020, the government announced that they were introducing more rigorous shielding measures for 1.8 million people in the UK who are classed as extremely vulnerable. These people are at very high risk of severe illness and hospital admission from coronavirus (COVID-19) because of an underlying health condition. 

While the government has said people with Parkinson's have an increased risk of complications if they get coronavirus, having Parkinson’s itself does not put you in the extremely vulnerable group. The advice for people with Parkinson’s is the same for most other people, to stay at home.

If you have other conditions or health issues that put you at extremely high risk, you will have received a letter from the NHS advising you to shield yourself. These letters started to arrive on Tuesday (24 March 2020). If you received one, it’s important to follow the shielding guidance explained in the letter. 

This is from NHS

We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.

This group includes those who are: being seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)

Doctors are reviewing the lists and will add patients/illness  as required.

Perhaps you will get on your much wanted shielding list then and will get everyone to bring your shopping to your door.

The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • edited 13 April at 11:05AM
    unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 April at 11:05AM
    From https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/news/coronavirus-what-were-doing just to cover the diabetes side. 

It’s true that people with diabetes are vulnerable to serious complications if they develop coronavirus, and as such they should all be following stringent social distancing. This is because coronavirus can cause difficulties in managing your diabetes, potentially leading to DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis)

But not everyone with diabetes who becomes sick will need intensive care, and following sick day rules will reduce the risk of developing DKA. 

Re: my highlighted bit. The difference between the above and the conditions in the extremely vulnerable group is that it is virtually a 100% certainty that anybody in the higher group will need intensive care and probably invasive ventilation with a very poor prognosis if they catch it. 

A lot of the higher group involve immunosuppression in one way or another and that will allow the virus to run rampant. 
    I know that from the experience of catching a cold before Xmas. I normally shrug them off but this time I was completely floored by it. 

• _shel_shel Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    Nannytone said:
    I would have thought that apart from financial support what, then the obvious place to look is your local authority.

What would you expect the government to do for individual disabled people ?
    I have now heard from my LA - they direct me towards local Facebook groups 
    But when I contacted them : they informed me that before they can help me - I need to register with the LA!!
    So I went back to the LA who told me that they were unable to help me because I don't fit their criteria....
    My wife is self isolating and my mobility is zero
    I also suffer from Parkinsonism, high blood pressure and am borderline diabetic !
    Supermarkets won't let me register either
    Borderline is not diabetic 
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • edited 15 April at 10:01AM
    50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 April at 10:01AM
    KxMx said:
    Thanks - have ordered a Heinz essential pack @:£13.50 inc delivery
    considering M&S at the moment but (apart from the fruit) - It doesn't look very healthy

Decided against M&S - Too many sweet items !
    Things may (or may not) get better