New Post Advanced Search

Disabled support from the Government on Covid 19

66 replies 3.6K views

Replies

• _shel_shel Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
     Yup that's it, liverpool city council set up a phone line and more recently a website where you can register to give or receive support. Support being shopping and fetching essentials, telephone companionship and checking you're ok. Thousands of people registered to give and receive support. 
     Council will do the matching of volunteers based on stated needs but won't check into it other than read what you put on the form 
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    Nannytone said:
    I would have thought that apart from financial support what, then the obvious place to look is your local authority.

What would you expect the government to do for individual disabled people ?
    I have now heard from my LA - they direct me towards local Facebook groups 
    But when I contacted them : they informed me that before they can help me - I need to register with the LA!!
    So I went back to the LA who told me that they were unable to help me because I don't fit their criteria....
    My wife is self isolating and my mobility is zero
    I also suffer from Parkinsonism, high blood pressure and am borderline diabetic !
    Supermarkets won't let me register either
    All of the local help initiatives I've seen and heard about were set up to help anyone and everyone who needs it, for whatever reason - no gatekeeping and no requirements other than trusting people to only make use of it if they need it. I don't know what kind of Facebook groups you've tried but the sort of community initiative that is there to provide the help is completely unofficial and set up specifically for the pandemic. Our village network is basically one person coordinating everything via phone and e-mail.

If you do get anywhere, please try to remember that you are relying on people to help you out of the kindness of their heart, and that any help is a gift rather than an entitlement.
    My local  group told me that due to lack of resources - they are extremely limited in the people that they can currently assist and that unless I was registered with the LA as "vulnerable" - I was not enttled to help !

Things may (or may not) get better
  • John_John_ Forumite
    772 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    It’s not really the case that, in general, the disabled need any extra help now than they do normally. What extra expenses are you having to face?

We’ll hopefully see some loosening of the restrictions in a few weeks, so you’ll maybe need to use your emergency fund until then. This is exactly the sort of occasion when they should be being used.
  • John_John_ Forumite
    772 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    Nannytone said:
    I would have thought that apart from financial support what, then the obvious place to look is your local authority.

But when I contacted them : they informed me that before they can help me - I need to register with the LA!!
    So I went back to the LA who told me that they were unable to help me because I don't fit their criteria....
    I also suffer from Parkinsonism, high blood pressure and am borderline diabetic !
    Hang on, you posted recently about taking your car for an MOT, was that not actually for you?

If you can’t get out yourself then I’d suggest asking a friend to get some things for you when they do their own shopping. We’re doing this for some of our vulnerable neighbours, and an awful lot of people are doing the same.
  • edited 12 April at 2:43PM
    50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 April at 2:43PM
    John_ said:
    50Twuncle said:
    It’s not really the case that, in general, the disabled need any extra help now than they do normally. What extra expenses are you having to face?

We’ll hopefully see some loosening of the restrictions in a few weeks, so you’ll maybe need to use your emergency fund until then. This is exactly the sort of occasion when they should be being used.

We are not short of money - we are getting short of food !
    We are willing to pay the going rate - but need a reliable home delivery !
    I also accept that the virus makes no difference to my needs but my wife now showing mild signs of infection - means that she cannot be expected to shop for us and my inability to walk does mean that I cant either
    So - the government criteria on who is entitled to be classed as VULNERABLE needs some considerable adjustment !
    Once given this "Title"- it opens the world for home delivery from supermarkets as well - have you even tried to register on any supermarket site ?
    And there's no local shops offering a delivery service either - plus the few farm shops that are still running do not offer any delivery either
    So basically - we are in trouble in a few days - unless something changes !
  • edited 12 April at 3:05PM
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 April at 3:05PM
    John_ said:
    50Twuncle said:
    Nannytone said:

Hang on, you posted recently about taking your car for an MOT, was that not actually for you?

If you can’t get out yourself then I’d suggest asking a friend to get some things for you when they do their own shopping. We’re doing this for some of our vulnerable neighbours, and an awful lot of people are doing the same.

Yes - the car is mine and yes I can drive it - but there is a huge difference between driving a car and walking around (or even getting to the door of) a supermarket !
    In other cirumstances - I would be in a wheelchair -  pushed by my wife
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    John_ said:
    50Twuncle said:
    Nannytone said:

Yep, we're shopping once a week and ask around before we go (I say 'we' - I mean my Mum but she shops for me too). That's sort of the point of community helping ...
  • edited 12 April at 3:07PM
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 April at 3:07PM
    John_ said:
    50Twuncle said:
    Nannytone said:

Yep, we're shopping once a week and ask around before we go (I say 'we' - I mean my Mum but she shops for me too). That's sort of the point of community helping ...
    Our neighbours would sooner trample on our dead bodies than help anyone - they constantly snipe and bit ch about each other !
  • edited 12 April at 3:40PM
    unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 April at 3:40PM
    But you probably are classed as vulnerable, just not extremely vulnerable. 
    The difference being that Coronavirus has a very good chance of killing somebody who is extremely vulnerable. These are the people who definitely shouldn't leave home and need the most help for getting food/medicines collected for them.

If your wife is self-isolating then it's only for 7-14 days rather than 3 months. I'm sure you can manage for that long, and then you/your wife can go shopping again.