66 replies 3.6K views

Replies

• edited 13 April at 8:16AM
    50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 April at 8:16AM
    All of these suggestions are great - but miss the whole point - that I too am supposed to be shielding due to multiple health issues !
    So suggestions like drive to the local shop and put a sign out of the window are not helpful or using my scooter !
    Things may (or may not) get better
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    All of these suggestions are great - but miss the whole point - that I too am supposed to be shielding due to multiple health issues !
    So suggestions like drive to the local shop and put a sign out of the window are not helpful or using my scooter !
    This story is changing. At the start you said
    I have now heard from my LA - they direct me towards local Facebook groups 
    But when I contacted them : they informed me that before they can help me - I need to register with the LA!!
    So I went back to the LA who told me that they were unable to help me because I don't fit their criteria....
    My wife is self isolating and my mobility is zero
    I also suffer from Parkinsonism, high blood pressure and am borderline diabetic !
    Supermarkets won't let me register either
    LAs criteria is to help those that are extremely vulnerable and have been told to shield. They will have a list supplied by NHS/GOV and you will have had a letter to that effect

So if you are not on the list that the LA and supermarkets have of people who are extremely vulnerable and have to shield then you appear to be self isolating either through choice or because if your wife. 
    So it sounds like the drive to the shops and help sign is a good option. 
  • edited 13 April at 9:37AM
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 April at 9:37AM
    50Twuncle said:
    But when I contacted them : they informed me that before they can help me - I need to register with the LA!!
    So I went back to the LA who told me that they were unable to help me because I don't fit their criteria....
    I also suffer from Parkinsonism, high blood pressure and am borderline diabetic !
    LAs criteria is to help those that are extremely vulnerable and have been told to shield. They will have a list supplied by NHS/GOV and you will have had a letter to that effect

So if you are not on the list that the LA and supermarkets have of people who are extremely vulnerable and have to shield then you appear to be self isolating either through choice or because if your wife. 
    You are not exactly helping matters are you ?
    What "story" is changing ?
    I have never said anything other than my wife is isolating and I have health concerns - which don't fit the criteria set by the government
  • HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    So you have received a letter from the government advising you, as you are extremely vulnerable to shield? 

If so you will be on the priority list at the supermarkets?

Or because of, you believe you are vulnerable, like all the rest of people at this time, to this virus. You yourself have decided to self isolate?
    There is a difference, if you want to self isolate that is your decision at this time.

Many posters have tried to give you advice, in this and in your countess other threads.  But once again all your replies are with such negativity.

There are many people in the same or worse situation as yourself, but they self help and get on with their lives.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is yet another of the many threads from the OP where people have tried to help and advise them but they don't take the advice. Looks like we are all going round in circles yet again here.

OP as has been advised, unless you've received the NHS letter to shield for 12 weeks then you're self isolating through choice.
  • edited 13 April at 10:03AM
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 April at 10:03AM
    This is yet another of the many threads from the OP where people have tried to help and advise them but they don't take the advice. Looks like we are all going round in circles yet again here.

OP as has been advised, unless you've received the NHS letter to shield for 12 weeks then you're self isolating through choice.
    Yes - we are both self isolating through choice - but it should not be through choice - I should be on the "list"
    The "list" is inconsistant and misses many health issues such as Parkinsons !
    I am also diabetic, as is my wife - who has a BMI of over 40 - so should not have gone out into the community in the first place - she has now picked up a nasty sounding cough !
    I don't want to risk my health for the sake of widespread herd immunity experimentation by the government !
    addendum :
    Actually - looking at the list - it does say that those at higher risk includes BMI over 40 and Parkinsons - which means that we should both self isolate for the duration - so that puts a different spin on it - doesn't it ?

• edited 13 April at 9:59AM
    unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 April at 9:59AM
    50Twuncle said:
    50Twuncle said:
    So suggestions like drive to the local shop and put a sign out of the bywindow are not helpful or using my scooter !

I have never said anything other than my wife is isolating and I have health concerns - which don't fit the criteria set by the government

Do you mean that this wasn't you? 
     that I too am supposed to be shielding due to multiple health issues !
    You are not shielding and never have been so the additional measures put in place by LAs, supermarkets and local groups for those that are shielding do not apply. You are in the same boat as all others who are self-isolating either through choice, due to symptoms or in the same household as somebody with symptoms. There is no additional help. Your disabilities play no part in it. 

Like them, it is up to you to get something in place to help you be it neighbours, putting a plea out on your local Facebook pages or local group websites to name a few things
    The official organisations are overwhelmed as it is just dealing with the ones that they are supposed to. You need to look at your community. 
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    50Twuncle said:
    So suggestions like drive to the local shop and put a sign out of the bywindow are not helpful or using my scooter !

You are not shielding and never have been so the additional measures put in place by LAs, supermarkets and local groups for those that are shielding do not apply. You are in the same boat as all others who are self-isolating either through choice, due to symptoms or in the same household as somebody with symptoms. There is no additional help. Your disabilities play no part in it. 

Like them, it is up to you to get something in place to help you be it neighbours, putting a plea out on your local Facebook pages or local group websites to name a few things
    The official organisations are overwhelmed as it is just dealing with the ones that they are supposed to. You need to look at your community. 

See my previous post - addendum
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    50Twuncle said:
    50Twuncle said:

See my previous post - addendum

BMI is in the vulnerable group, not extremely vulnerable
  • edited 13 April at 11:10AM
    KxMxKxMx Forumite
    8.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 April at 11:10AM
    There is higher risk (vunerable) and highest risk (shielding). 

As I understand it, the NHS has completed identifying and notifying those it can. GPs and Consultants are now going through patients and adding people on where they feel clinically necessary. My Uncle was notified this way last week with an official shielding letter. 

Both my mother and I are classed as vunerable (she may yet get a shielding letter TBH, she's older, diabetic, IBD and moderate asthma, the cumulative effect may do it ), one of us has to go out for food if necessary and I have done so once since lockdown began. 

The focus of the help is on shielding which sucks for us but is understandable.

It sounds like your wife has symptoms so you shouldn't go out now for 14 days since her getting ill. 

As diabetics I'm guessing you need to be extra careful with food so keep calling, emailing and posting on Facebook. 

Try the Facebook groups again, ask what resources they suggest for someone vunerable unable to go out due to household symptoms. Locally it is not just farm shops delivering but wholesalers who have turned their businesses around. 

Are you in social housing? Your Landlord may be able to help. 

Contact churches, food banks, to see if they will help or able to give pointers. 

Are you willing to post a rough location, just County, someone may be able to find something for you.