New Post Advanced Search

Disabled support from the Government on Covid 19

66 replies 3.6K views

Replies

• 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You always seem to make everything difficult for yourself...
    I have a feeling the neighbours' apparent unwillingness to help may not be entirely unrelated.

You couldnt be farther from the truth
    We moved here 20 years ago and still feel "outsiders" - ALL the other neighbours have been here for at least 40 years and hate each other with a vengeance - the reasons being "historical" and related to different planning permission applications and refusals !
    Things may (or may not) get better
  • edited 12 April at 6:03PM
    HasbeenHasbeen Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 12 April at 6:03PM
    50Twuncle said:

We are not short of money - we are getting short of food !
    We are willing to pay the going rate - but need a reliable home delivery !
    I also accept that the virus makes no difference to my needs but my wife now showing mild signs of infection - means that she cannot be expected to shop for us and my inability to walk does mean that I cant either
    So - the government criteria on who is entitled to be classed as VULNERABLE needs some considerable adjustment !
    Once given this "Title"- it opens the world for home delivery from supermarkets as well - have you even tried to register on any supermarket site ?
    And there's no local shops offering a delivery service either - plus the few farm shops that are still running do not offer any delivery either
    So basically - we are in trouble in a few days - unless something changes !
    For a few days get your elderly neighbour, the one you started another? new thread about complaining she goes shopping?

Ask her to get you supplies. Make friends for once!

Oh Edit. I am classed as Extremely Vulnerable and a key worker. So at this stage count yourself lucky you are not   o:)

50Twuncle said:
    We have an elderly woman who lives near us - who has been out to the local shop, at least 6 times a day for the last fortnight
    She appears oblivious to the risk and stops to talk to everyone !

The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • pollyanna_26pollyanna_26 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    _shel said:
    he does that. 
    A friend of mine has cystic fibrosis and diabetes amongst others conditions. She, her husband and kids haven't left their house for 2 weeks and won't until mid June. 
     She's found numerous places via Facebook and online that will deliver all sorts of goods contact free to the door. For supermarkets local taxi firms have taken to doing click and collect. 
     It's doable you just need to put your mind to it and stop expecting people to wait on you. 

Our local taxi firms are doing click and collect and there are many sources of help online for those self isolating or under shielding.
    There have been a lot of useful suggestions here which posters have kindly offered. John did a whole list. It seems to me OP would prefer to come back with a negative response than explore all avenues.
    I find it hard to believe all his neighbours are so dreadful. Personally I'd have sold up and shipped out years ago. Apart from the in laws he mentioned there is no mention of any other family or friends not even casual aquaintances.
    On another thread we were talking of making a plan if his wife became ill. Did that happen? I feel more local searching is the only answer.  It's time wasting and pointless to keep complaining and feeding the negativity that's not going to bring solutions.

John That was a good list but re putting a poster up. A local printing firm produced different posters. Self Isolating, Under sheilding. Can anyone help with shopping? etc. They were doing it at no charge and happy to put them through doors.
    The intention was to stop doorbells being rung by the annual tree cutters and other trades . Also asking for help if needed.
    They put the details on the local news site. A few days later the Police reported random men turning up asking for glasses of water, whether cars on the drive were for sale and other incidents.
    It was well meant but sadly abused in an area many people retire to and are often alone and vulnerable.
    polly..
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _shel said:
    he does that. 
    A friend of mine has cystic fibrosis and diabetes amongst others conditions. She, her husband and kids haven't left their house for 2 weeks and won't until mid June. 
     She's found numerous places via Facebook and online that will deliver all sorts of goods contact free to the door. For supermarkets local taxi firms have taken to doing click and collect. 
     It's doable you just need to put your mind to it and stop expecting people to wait on you. 

Our local taxi firms are doing click and collect and there are many sources of help online for those self isolating or under shielding.
    There have been a lot of useful suggestions here which posters have kindly offered. John did a whole list. It seems to me OP would prefer to come back with a negative response than explore all avenues.
    I find it hard to believe all his neighbours are so dreadful. Personally I'd have sold up and shipped out years ago. Apart from the in laws he mentioned there is no mention of any other family or friends not even casual aquaintances.
    On another thread we were talking of making a plan if his wife became ill. Did that happen? I feel more local searching is the only answer.  It's time wasting and pointless to keep complaining and feeding the negativity that's not going to bring solutions.

John That was a good list but re putting a poster up. A local printing firm produced different posters. Self Isolating, Under sheilding. Can anyone help with shopping? etc. They were doing it at no charge and happy to put them through doors.
    The intention was to stop doorbells being rung by the annual tree cutters and other trades . Also asking for help if needed.
    They put the details on the local news site. A few days later the Police reported random men turning up asking for glasses of water, whether cars on the drive were for sale and other incidents.
    It was well meant but sadly abused in an area many people retire to and are often alone and vulnerable.
    polly..
    Thanks - family - my Dad is aged almost 90 and is sheilding, locally
    As for other friends - we don't have any - apart from a 63 year old woman who is herself shielding (she has health issues herself)
    Seriously - the neighbours would not be any help - most (if not all) are in their 70's-80's
    I did contact the LA to ask what I should do if my wife became ill - they gave me a phone number to call !
    Local supermarkets are limited (Tesco and Co-op mini stores) and will not be able to deliver - I know that our local Co-op is struggling to find enough staff !
    And as I have already stated - there is no way to register on-line for Sainsburys, Tesco or Asda (AND YES I have emailed them all - no response !)
    It seems that I may be one of many to have slipped though the net ...?
    Things may (or may not) get better
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    10.1K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen anyone be so negative about everything. I just find it so hard to believe that there is no help out there.
    I have lived in my community since Oct 2019, said a hello to the neighbours a few times but generally keep myself to myself and always have done.
    Just a couple of days ago a leaflet was posted through my door telling me that in my community there's volunteers that will do shopping and deliver it, get prescriptions and anything else you need. On this leaflet it gave phone numbers and a facebook group name for anyone that needed any help. I thought it was amazing the lengths people will go to, to help others.
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    My aunt moved to her current location 18 years ago, keeps to herself most of the time and the locals view anyone who wasn't born there as an outsider (according to her). She nurtures her anxiety, is the most negative person I know and moans all the time about how terrible their immediate neighbours are - they may or may not be thoroughly rotten people, I don't know. Even she has had at least three people in her street offering help because they know she's very ill at times; they are not people she would have called friends, incidentally. When she's not having a huge flare of one of her conditions her mobility is okay, but as it happens she is having to shield - BUT the point is even she had offers of help right from when this all started, long before any official help or being able to register as extremely vulnerable. Like poppy, I am rather baffled by this apparent anomaly in OP's locality devoid of all options. 

Have to say I rather liked the suggestion of driving to a supermarket - maybe not the tiny unstocked ones, perhaps a larger one slightly further afield - with a sign to ask for help. If one were truly desperate, I rather think that's a genius idea! (Didn't OP have a mobility scooter? Will that not do the journey to the local shops, even for a basket of essentials if things are that desperate?)

Amazon are prioritising food deliveries; I'm not sure if they do fresh veg and things but there are also a myriad commercial schemes for those as well!