Martin Lewis: Working from home due to coronavirus, even for a day? Claim TWO years' worth of tax re

Comments

• Are you actually using gov.uk or have you somehow found your way onto a third parties website???
  • Racxie
    Racxie Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Are you actually using gov.uk or have you somehow found your way onto a third parties website???
    Using gov.uk via the link on the MSE article: https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home
  • Very odd.  When I answer the questions (straightforward claim for WFH expenses due to having to WFH due to Covid-19) I end up with a message saying claim via my PTA.

How have you answered the questions from your link?
  • Racxie
    Very odd.  When I answer the questions (straightforward claim for WFH expenses due to having to WFH due to Covid-19) I end up with a message saying claim via my PTA.

How have you answered the questions from your link?
    To start with I click on the 'Check if you can claim' then:
    1. Are you only claiming tax relief on your expenses for working from home? Yes
    2. Are you going to complete a Self Assessment return for this tax year 2021-2022? No
    3. Has your employer paid your expenses for working from home? Yes, some of my expenses
    4. Are you claiming tax relief for more than 5 different jobs? No
    I then click on the 'Claim your expenses online' button, and then on the 'Claim using the online service' link which asks me to sign in using my Government Gateway ID. Once I've signed in, it takes me to the 'Tax relief for expenses of employment' section and I click on 'Start now':

1. Have you previously claimed tax relief on your employment expenses? No
    2. Your address
    3. Telephone number
    4. What time would you prefer us to telephone you? Select all that apply. Our opening hours are 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am to 4.30pm on Friday.
    That last one then gives me 2 tick boxes for the relevant times mentioned above.
  • Never heard of that before, wonder if it's connected to this?

3.  Has your employer paid your expenses for working from home? Yes, some of my expenses

• Racxie
    Never heard of that before, wonder if it's connected to this?

3.  Has your employer paid your expenses for working from home? Yes, some of my expenses

That's just on the eligibility check prior to signing in and shouldn't have any bearing on the application itself, and I still got it when I tried selecting just 'Yes'  :/
  • I remember doing it last year for my husband and it was really easy. I'm trying to do for myself and it says the maximum I can claim is £60 expenses for my industry (Education) and asks a load of other questions about claiming for car use etc. Surely I should be able to claim £6 x 52 = £312 thus a reduction in tax of £312 @ 20 % = £62.40. I'm following the link in the article but have they already changed the HMRC website?
  • Sobraon
    Sobraon Posts: 325 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    @exexuter21,Yes look like they have changed the process, but I am still required to work at home. 
  • I remember doing it last year for my husband and it was really easy. I'm trying to do for myself and it says the maximum I can claim is £60 expenses for my industry (Education) and asks a load of other questions about claiming for car use etc. Surely I should be able to claim £6 x 52 = £312 thus a reduction in tax of £312 @ 20 % = £62.40. I'm following the link in the article but have they already changed the HMRC website?
    You are definitely doing something wrong as that has nothing to do with a Covid-19 WFH claim.

Try logging into your Personal Tax Account, I think there is Covid-19 WFH claim link there on the first page you access.
  • Hi All,

New to this forum but hoping you can all help.

I have had 2 jobs in the current tax year, both regular PAYE setups. The first one (April-Sept) paid us the extra allowance tax free. The second one (Oct - present) doesn't, so I'm considering claiming.

In both I've had to work from home on and off and still do 2-3 days a week. However, when I go to the microsite, it asks 'Has your employer paid your expenses for working from home?'.

Should I say yes, no or some? Just not sure how to navigate and worried I might end up messing up my taxcode in the process.

If anyone can help or has been in a similar situation, please let me know!

Cheers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure