Martin Lewis: Working from home due to coronavirus, even for a day? Claim TWO years' worth of tax re

Options

Comments

• BoroPhil
    BoroPhil Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The article on the website states in bold that if you previously claimed for tax year 20/21 then you must make a new claim for the 21/22 tax year, however when I go through the Gov.UK microsite, it won't let me do that and tells me that as I have claimed for previous years, my tax code will automatically be adjusted.

The first question is "Have you previously claimed tax relief for your employment expenses?" to which I selected Yes as I claimed for both 19/20 and 20/21.

The next question is "Have your employment expenses changed since your last claim?" to which I selected No as I am only claiming the same tax relief on £6/week as per previous years.

As soon as I select No on the second question I get a message in red stating "You do not need to make a claim. Your tax code will be based on the information you have already given us".

When I check on my latest pay slips and compare them to my previous ones, my tax code is almost identical this year to last year (last digit has gone up by 6).

On that basis, I don't think the website is correct - if you claimed in previous years, your tax code is adjusted automatically for this year as well.

Can anyone confirm whether this is correct?
    bit late to this, but this is my experience as well.
  • jely9
    jely9 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi All,

I've claimed for 2020/21 & 2021/22 but was just looking for 2022/23 and it appears the rules for WFH tax relief have sadly changed. This is disappointing, especially in light of the cost of living/energy price/NI increases. I think Martin's article needs updating to reflect these new rules.

HMRC microsite states:

"Claiming tax relief on or after 6 April 2022

You can claim if your employer has not already paid your expenses and you have additional household costs as a result of working from home.

One of the following must also apply:

• there are no appropriate facilities available for you to perform your job on your employer's premises
    • the nature of the job requires you to live so far from the employer's premises that it is unreasonable for you to travel to those premises on a daily basis
    • you are required, under government restrictions, to work from home

To claim tax relief, you cannot have just chosen to work from home.

Guidance has changed for the new tax year.

You must ensure you meet the rules for claiming, as you may be prosecuted if you deliberately give incorrect or misleading information."
  • socksmalone
    Options
    I've been dealing with a serious illness for several months now, and it's just occurred to me that I never heard anything back from HMRC about my claim for 2020 - 21. Does anyone have a phone number or email address I can use to chase this up with them?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    I've been dealing with a serious illness for several months now, and it's just occurred to me that I never heard anything back from HMRC about my claim for 2020 - 21. Does anyone have a phone number or email address I can use to chase this up with them?
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/income-tax-enquiries-for-individuals-pensioners-and-employees
  • Stace255
    Stace255 Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am a bit late to the party and have just claimed the tax free allowance for 20/21, 21/22 and 22/23.

I believe I am still eligible as my employer had downsized our office meaning that there is not space for all staff to work from the office everyday.

I believe, if my claim is successful, that my current years allowance will be adjusted and dealt with via my wages.

For the 2 previous years, I have seen conflicting information as to how I will receive funds.

Will this be paid via cheque or in my wages?

For anyone who has claimed recently, how long did it take for you to receive the money?

TIA
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    Neither.  HMRC will ask you to provide your bank details via your Personal Tax Account so they can pay that direct into your bank account.  This happens after they have calculated any refund due.

It's only if you don't do that that a cheque is eventually sent.
  • jelbear
    Options
    CLAIM REJECTED

I've tried applying for the working from home tax relief, for the last 4 weeks in the 2019/20 tax year where I had to isolate due to covid symptoms in the household and then the full lockdown kicked in and then for the full 2020/21 tax year inline with the work 1 day at home get the full relief guidance.

HMRC have rejected the claim saying as a teacher i don't qualify, despite me being required to prepare for and deliver lessons over Teams from home during the period in question.

Seems rather insulting to teachers, lots worked from home, while some still went in to cope with the keyworker kids.

Anyone got any advice how to challenge this position.

would be useful to get a direct link to HMRC statement where the work 1 day at home get the full tax relief came from to throw back at them

any words of advice gratefully received

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,941 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 24 September 2022 at 11:58AM
    Options
    I'm not sure but from my recollection weren't public sector employees not permitted to claim ?
    EDIT - I think I might be getting confused with being furloughed....
  • travis72
    Options
    I am completing Self Assessment for the first time for 2021-2022 tax year.

I have claimed the Covid work from home allowance for 2021-2022 on the 2021-2022 Self Assessment form.

Does anyone know how I claim the Covid work from home allowance for 2020-2021 as I haven't completed Self Assessment in previous years?

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    travis72 said:
    I am completing Self Assessment for the first time for 2021-2022 tax year.

I have claimed the Covid work from home allowance for 2021-2022 on the 2021-2022 Self Assessment form.

Does anyone know how I claim the Covid work from home allowance for 2020-2021 as I haven't completed Self Assessment in previous years?

Either complete form P87 (for 2020:21 only) or phone HMRC and claim it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback