Martin Lewis: Working from home due to coronavirus, even for a day? Claim TWO years' worth of tax re

Options

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    Hi All,

New to this forum but hoping you can all help.

I have had 2 jobs in the current tax year, both regular PAYE setups. The first one (April-Sept) paid us the extra allowance tax free. The second one (Oct - present) doesn't, so I'm considering claiming.

In both I've had to work from home on and off and still do 2-3 days a week. However, when I go to the microsite, it asks 'Has your employer paid your expenses for working from home?'.

Should I say yes, no or some? Just not sure how to navigate and worried I might end up messing up my taxcode in the process.

If anyone can help or has been in a similar situation, please let me know!

Cheers
    What date you start the new job and what date do you intend putting as the start date for your WFH claim?
  • gregjlondon
    Options
    Thanks for replying! 

I guess I would put my October start date as the start date of the claim, considering my previous employer (up to October) gave it to us. 

Would that be correct?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    If you're putting the date you started the new job and the new company isn't paying you any WFH allowance I would just answer no to the "Has your employer paid your expenses for working from home?" question.

That way you should get roughly 6 months x £6/week expenses included in your tax code.
  • Oasis1
    Oasis1 Posts: 717 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any predictions whether this will continue in 2022/23? I will likely still have to work from home several days a week.
  • RoyalBlue_2
    Options
    How do I go about claiming for 2020-21 please? The microsite link that Martin provides eventually takes me to my Government Gateway login and the only option offered there is a claim for the current tax year 2021-22. There is no option to select and claim for previous tax years.  

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Dazed_and_C0nfused Posts: 13,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 2 March 2022 at 8:24PM
    Options
    How do I go about claiming for 2020-21 please? The microsite link that Martin provides eventually takes me to my Government Gateway login and the only option offered there is a claim for the current tax year 2021-22. There is no option to select and claim for previous tax years.  

Where are you seeing that you can only claim for 2021:22?

What happens when you click "Accept and continue"?

• RoyalBlue_2
    Options

Where are you seeing that you can only claim for 2021:22?

What happens when you click "Accept and continue"?

It's not that it's saying I can only claim for only 2021-22 (in fact previously it refers to earlier years and rates). It's the fact that the option to select which year I want to claim for (as displayed in Martin's feature) does not appear to exist on the microsite/Government Gateway.

I'm reluctant to click 'Accept and Continue' as I did not work from home this tax year (2021-22) and the screen makes it pretty clear that the claim relates to 6 April 2021 to 5 April 2022. Furthermore there is a clear warning re giving incorrect or misleading information. It is unclear whether clicking 'Accept and continue' submits a claim for 2021-22 with no way back. 

I was hoping someone who has used the site for a claim might be able to shed some light on what happens and where you are taken if you click 'Accept and continue'. In the absence of that, I will have to ring HMRC for clarification.  
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    I was hoping someone who has used the site for a claim might be able to shed some light on what happens and where you are taken if you click 'Accept and continue'. In the absence of that, I will have to ring HMRC for clarification.  
    Clicking it won't tie you into anything, you could simply close the webpage down.
  • RoyalBlue_2
    Options
    Just trawled back through this thread and found the following. If true (and I'll phone to check), it seems typical Government/HMRC incompetence and unnecessary bureaucracy, creating additional unnecessary work for both claimant and those processing the claim. Am I being too cynical in thinking Rishi Sunak wants to deter as many people as possible from claiming for earlier years? I bet MPs don't have to jump through so many hoops to get their home office expenses. 

• RoyalBlue_2
    Options
    Clicked 'Accept and continue' but will only allow a claim for current tax year and not 2020-21! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback