Martin Lewis: Working from home due to coronavirus, even for a day? Claim TWO years' worth of tax re

Options

Comments

• gozaimasu
    gozaimasu Posts: 860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The op said "I applied for WFH tax relief yesterday" so what happened in the summer is irrelevant, they need a new calculation to include the WFH expenses.
    This was not the case for me. It has taken waaaaay longer than a couple of weeks. It's taken months; I made my claim months ago. @powell43 be prepared to wait ages to get what you're owed.

• powell43
    Options
    Ok so update is £62.50 will be in my account in the next five working days!
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    powell43 said:
    Have you had a P800 calculation or was that from checking your Personal Tax Account?
  • sadinlondon
    sadinlondon Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 October 2021 at 10:34AM
    Options
    Hi again! Thank you for all your help btw!

Rang HMRC and was told couldn’t claim the working from home for COVID tax relief for 2020 to 2021 through the quick service as that tax year has ended. They said you have to fill in a P87 form and mention how much you’ve spent on heating, water, etc. I was told to put an estimate. So confusing and I said that my husband was able to claim for 2020/21 last week. The only difference between his and my completion of the form was that he started with 2020-2021, whereas I started with 2021-2022.

clear as mud but apparently I’m completing the right P87 form to claim tax relief for working from home because of COVID so I’ll have to go through this convoluted form filling exercise.

Btw my husband had his claim already and got £60 back. I can see amounts being mentioned, so thought I’d mention what he got. 
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    What you have been told is complete and utter rubbish.

I would say you shouldn't under any circumstances make a non standard claim.

You have clearly got an unhelpful or poor quality adviser.

Just be because you cannot claim via the Micro Service doesn't mean you cannot claim the simplified expenses of £312.

I would phone again explaining you are having IT issues and that you want to claim Covid-19 WFH expenses of £312 for 2020:21 and 2021:22 (if due this year).  Should be a very short call and simple for HMRC to do.

The tax saving is between £0 and, in extreme cases £190.  Most people save £60-£62.
  • sadinlondon
    Options

Just be because you cannot claim via the Micro Service doesn't mean you cannot claim the simplified expenses of £312.

I would phone again explaining you are having IT issues and that you want to claim Covid-19 WFH expenses of £312 for 2020:21 and 2021:22 (if due this year).  Should be a very short call and simple for HMRC to do.

The tax saving is between £0 and, in extreme cases £190.  Most people save £60-£62.
    Thank you so much for the advice! Will call them again! Luckily off work today so can stay on hold for as long as needed. Thank you!!
  • sadinlondon
    Options

Called HMRC again. “Can’t do it over the phone anymore. P87. You have to do a P87” The guidance has changed!

oh and you have to print it and post it!! What?? 
  • gozaimasu
    gozaimasu Posts: 860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 October 2021 at 3:44PM
    Options
    Called HMRC again. “Can’t do it over the phone anymore. P87. You have to do a P87” The guidance has changed!

Yeah I originally printed and posted mine earlier this year (before being forced to sign up for the online service because it was taking too long) and I still don't have my refund for 2019-2020 and 2020-2021. Absolutely incompetent.
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options

Seems bizarre.

Did you try and claim starring here??

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home
  • powell43
    Options
    powell43 said:
    Have you had a P800 calculation or was that from checking your Personal Tax Account?
    From the personal tax account
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure