PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Reverse Meal Planning

Options

Comments

• Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There,s no doubt a tiny amount of bacon can add a significant flavour improvement  to many meals.
    i guess it must have made a huge  difference during world War 2 when it was rationed to about 2 Oz per person per week!
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Done a meal plan for the week from the freezer and stores as I'm over budget with my grocery spends this month. Only need to buy peppers, carrots and baby corn. 
    Grocery Challenge 2024
    Feb £419.82 Mar £599.53 Apr £405.69 May £531.37 Jun
    Declutter challenge 2024 0 items
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    For the first time in weeks, we have a bit of a meal plan done up for the week.  Partly because it will be a week from he11 packed with back to back meetings for me!

Today the OH made an amazing noodle stir-fry for dinner, using up bits and pieces from the fridge, freezer & stores.  Cubed pork from yesterday's roast dinner, veggies comprised of a white onion, pepper strips from the freezer, a punnet of watercress chopped into tiny pieces, and pad thai noodles.  A simple flavoring of hoisin & tamari and a spring onion for slivered garnish.  Surprisingly no ginger or garlic in it, but neither was missed.
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 3 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • JennyDavis
    JennyDavis Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 23 May at 9:00PM
    Options
    It is one thing to make a meal plan for the week and another one - to follow it. My daughter is only four and she recently became very picky with the food. It is getting more and more difficult to make her something she will like . I started to visit different website for some help with my studies, so i can have more time for the cooking and picking some interesting dishes. 
  • Primrose
    Options
    Wrong thread perhaps but can anybody help me out here please?
    Had some very musty sultanas in my porridge this morning from a jumbo full jar we found at back of cupboard.
    Obviously very out of date,
    is there anything I can do to "freshen"  them up?  Ie washing in water and re drying in sunshine.?
    Am reluctant to throw them away but they taste really musty.
  • rtandon27
    Options
    @Primrose - Do you mean musty as in odd tasting or musty as in odd texture?

If it is the former, I'd err on the side of caution and confine them to the compost bin.  No point in ingesting mould-spores of any kind if you don't have to.

If the later, then they've just over-dried out, and I'd revive them by soaking in boiling water on an as needed basis & then add them to your porridge.  Also can soak in boiling tea if putting them in a tea loaf/bread, or in rum if using in home-made ice-cream.
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
  • rtandon27
    Options
    Tonight's dinner will be that pasta carbonara I went on about last week - with bacon - LOL

Last week we ended up being lazy and getting some yellow sticker deals as my train was late, and we were both hungry and cranky (me a bit more than him).
  • Primrose
    Options
    @rtandon27
    more an acrid sort of mustiness as if tainted bt plastic.
    im not sure if you can get "plastic poisoning g" as such but loath as we are to toss them I think that,s what we,re going to have to do. Wouldn't even risk feeding to the birds especially in breeding season.
  • rtandon27
    Options
    @Primrose
    ...aye - I'd toss them in that case - plastic does leach unhealthy things...
    ...definately cut your losses!
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I agree. Once any dried fruit starts to go grainy they are past use for me too, and bin-bound.

Egg, oven chips and beans here after a full day with the bees. We definitely have too many at the moment.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport