We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

UK coronavirus help and your rights - MSE News

Options

Comments

• mmunro2013
    mmunro2013 Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello....?
  • Kidincandy
    Options
    My question would be - can I work a temp job while on furlough to bridge the gap between the 80% and 100%?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My question would be - can I work a temp job while on furlough to bridge the gap between the 80% and 100%?
    This question has been answered hundreds of times on this forum already such as https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/76972338#Comment_76972338

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Cloughy01 said:
    I hope this question finds someone that can help...

I am due to start a new job on Monday and they are furloughing. Will I still be eligible as I wasn't employed by them in February?
    Read Calcotti's post https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6119611/furloughed-workers-please-read#latest
  • HornetSaver
    HornetSaver Posts: 3,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Cloughy01 said:

I am due to start a new job on Monday and they are furloughing. Will I still be eligible as I wasn't employed by them in February?
    @Cloughy01 Martin Lewis has addressed this specific scenario:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=216&v=tk_s2cIHGbw&feature=emb_logo
  • selina2000
    selina2000 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cloughy01 said:

@Cloughy01 Martin Lewis has addressed this specific scenario:

In my opinion, whatever the legalities of that suggestion, it won't work in 99.9% of cases.
    (To save others watching it, Martin is suggesting going back to your old employer and getting that job back)

If you have just told your old employer where to go, they are unlikely to be very impressed if you go back to them begging for your old job back because the new employer no longer wants your services, especially if that old employer has no work to offer, and probably has recruited someone else by now to carry out your job if they thought it was worth carrying on doing (unware at the time of the latest situation we find ourselves in)

What you need to remember also is that the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme is a benefit offered to your employer in the expectation they won't make you redundant in these difficult times; it really has little to do directly with employees.

You presumably have a contract of employment with your new employer. Your options are:
    1. To attempt to hold your new employer to that contract
    2. Negotiate a mutually agreeable alternative in these difficult times.
    3. Allow them to make you redundant, which will be very easy for your new employer as you've only just joined them

• Cloughy01
    Options
    Selina2000 you're absolutely right. My current employer has no reason to help me out whatsoever. Although we've left on good terms, I've essentially told them their job/workplace is crap because I've left them.

• Bobbybear1
    Options
    I currently work as a Concierge in a residential building containing 148 flats. My employer has classed me as a key worker since Boris's speech last Monday meaning that I am expected to work when complete lockdown of the country happens shortly.  As I suffer with asthma and I am 59 years of age I put myself into self isolation on Tuesday. I am vulnerable and at high risk of developing severe complications should I be infected with coronavirus which is highly likely performing this role due to my interaction with residents, contractors etc. My employer has told me that I will only receive  SSP as I have voluntarily self isolated. Can a vulnerable person be told to work as a key worker in order to receive full pay. Should they not be considering to furlough me in my situation as I
    am not purely trying to avoid working to avoid contracting the virus. This literally could be a matter of life and death for me.
  • JoRon
    JoRon Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi I'm hoping for some advice please, I am a receptionist for a small animal veterinary practice, I received an email today from my employer saying that during the corona virus my hours will be reduced to just one day per week 10 hours,(We are a small team of 5) and the other 4 days must be taken as annual leave. . The email said that this will take place from 01/04/2020. My employer said this was because any annual leave couldn't be carried over to the next year If this is the case I will be using all my annual leave over the next 4 weeks. I am currently on sick leave SSP due to corona virus symptoms.
  • angiewoo2002
    Options
    I’m hoping someone may be able to help please.....
    My father is 76 years old, suffers with COPD and has been identified as at risk and is one of the many on the shielded list.
    My brother lives with our father and works for a small construction company who are adamant that their workers still attend site as normal albeit with modified Risk & Method Statements advising on the 2m distance rule and hand washing/hand sanitising and recommending that the travel to site alone in their own vehicles. 
    My brother is extremely stressed with the pressure of bring home COVID-19 and feels that he could “be to blame” if the worst was to happen to our vulnerable father. He has been in constant communication with management at his work and enquired about furlough but his managers refused point blank and suggested (not in so many words) that those who do not do what is required of them now, when this is all over they will not be favoured to stay employed with them despite my brother working with the company for almost 18 years!
    We just don’t know where we stand with this. On one hand the government want to protect my father as best they can but on the other hand they are taking the virus into his home by insisting that construction sites stay open!!!! 
    How can this be right???
    Please if there is anything you can advise we do to protect our father and my brothers job we would very much appreciate it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback