We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

UK coronavirus help and your rights - MSE News

Options
12346»

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 4 June 2020 at 9:17AM
    Options
    Elicam said:
    My daughter, who is a student, started her first shift on the 7th March for a retail company. (She was laid off after Christmas in a previous job so was not working until this current job). As the cut off is the 19th March for RTI submissions, what happens to the 1000s of people who fall in to this loophole where employers submit their returns anytime after the 19th March and up to the end of March please? I know she’s only an A Level student but she has her mobile phone and other things still to pay for. Is there a way round it please? 

It means she can't be furloughed. As she's a student she can't claim any benefits either, unless she claims a disability benefit such as PIP or DLA. If she claims either of those she maybe able to claim Universal Credit but if she receives a student loan then this will be classed as income as reduce the UC £1 for £1.
  • Robbo31173
    Options
    My daughter has been asked to pay the full amount of rent for the third installment. Even though she was legally unable to use the provided service since she returned home on government advice on March 18th. She is in third party student accommodation and the university are powerless to act. Even though most providers have offered at least a 50% reduction for the final installment. I have contacted the provider (still demanding full payment), the university, local MP, student union president. Is there anything else I can do? 
  • Newnoel
    Newnoel Posts: 378 Forumite
    Options
    For those of us who are members of professional bodies, it is worth contacting them to request to have your membership fees written off while you are furloughed, or become unemployed. I am a CIMA member, and this is their website to request a remission in fees

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,202 Forumite
    Options
    My daughter has been asked to pay the full amount of rent for the third installment. Even though she was legally unable to use the provided service since she returned home on government advice on March 18th. She is in third party student accommodation and the university are powerless to act. Even though most providers have offered at least a 50% reduction for the final installment. I have contacted the provider (still demanding full payment), the university, local MP, student union president. Is there anything else I can do? 

I don't believe Government advice was for all students to return home. When you say "third part student acc" do you mean privately renting? Unfortunately, she needs to pay the remainder of her contract for the accommodation.
    Did she receive a student loan? If so then these were paid as normal in April, i know this because my son is a student and he received his loan. Her rent needs to be paid from the loan.
    If she has a guarantor then they will be responsible for the remaindor of the rent, if she doesn't pay.
  • GordonC63
    Options
    Hi,
    Your site has "Advance tickets. As long as you bought your ticket before 7 September, you can change the time and date of your booking without paying any admin fees (even if it's for travel after then)." for rail travel.
    I have 2 tickets return MAN to NCL 4th/5th Oct @ £85.90 from Trainline. (purchase 24th July, changed 3rd Aug Free of charge)
    They want £40 to change them but Transpennine would not charge if booked directly.
    I discussed with Trainline online but got nowhere. Who is right or do I lose my money?
    Regards
    Gordon

TPE website under 'tickets explained.' states free changes policy on Advance train tickets.
    apologies if I posted this twice
  • ForKandles
    Options
    Hi, please can anyone answer this question? If a close family member is taken to hospital with a non-covid serious health issue, ie, a heart problem, are we allowed to travel across England to stay in the family members' house while they are not there to ne nearer if things take a turn for the worst?
  • Dep17
    Dep17 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Good evening

I am self employed and have been receiving Universal Credit and SEISS.   I have kept up my monthly service charges bill by direct debit - I am an owner of a flat in a building of 27 flats.  However, I now have a bill of nearly £ 4000 for necessary external works to be carried out on the building - delayed by two years including this year.   I was hoping it could be delayed further but unfortunately I have now just recieved the first reminder.
    Is government help available either as a grant or a loan?
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,462 Forumite
    Options
    There isn't any government help for such a cost, unless it is due to cladding. See
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/remediation-of-non-acm-buildings
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dep17 said:
    Good evening

I am self employed and have been receiving Universal Credit and SEISS.   I have kept up my monthly service charges bill by direct debit - I am an owner of a flat in a building of 27 flats.  However, I now have a bill of nearly £ 4000 for necessary external works to be carried out on the building - delayed by two years including this year.   I was hoping it could be delayed further but unfortunately I have now just recieved the first reminder.
    Is government help available either as a grant or a loan?
    What are the nature of the works?
    If they are non-essential, you may be able to agree with other leaseholders and the freeholder / management company that the work needs to be delayed. 
    Is there any possibility of the freeholder / management company being able to provide any option to pay by installments?
    What contributions to the operation of the block so you normally make?  Is there a "slush" fund anywhere that should cover these works?
  • lloydy1601
    Options
    I read on MSE recent email that some people have had their credit limit reduced,an example being £16000 down to £250.He stated that he had always paid the balance in full each month and on time.Is this a trend that some banks will follow as in these cases the provider is not earning any interest.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback