We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

UK coronavirus help and your rights - MSE News

Options

Comments

• DanielPop
    Options

Hi there,

I am hoping that someone can give me a piece of advice.

I am an agency worker and I am working for the same company for 2 years now, about 40 of my colleagues have been sent home due to coronavirus and the low volume of work. The Staffline agency told those 40 people that they will be out of jobs starting next week. They have been offered a position at Morrison’s (food production) one hour drive from the town we are working in. In that place at Morrison’s, there have been 4 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus. The question is if I am refusing to work there because I have good reasons for that (I don't own a car, plus I cannot work in a cold environment) they will put us unavailable and we will not benefit from that 80% from the government? I know that my employer(Staffline) needs to keep us on the payroll and they need to apply for a grant, but if we refusing that position due to high risk of getting sick and plus the issue of transport, what is the option for agency workers in this delicate situation?

How we can benefit from the help of the government?

From what I have read and understood, only the employer can apply for the grant and Staffline doesn't have any interest in doing so, they want to send us working in horrible conditions(don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work of people working in a food production in these fragile times), only to make money.

With this approach towards this imminent danger, hundreds of thousands of agency workers will be without any help and support from Staffline.

We really need help to see how we can manage this situation and what are the legal means and our rights against the abuse of Staffline Agency.

Kind Regards,

80 human beings (agency workers)

Stay safe!

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,305 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’m hoping someone may be able to help please.....
    My father is 76 years old, suffers with COPD and has been identified as at risk and is one of the many on the shielded list.
    My brother lives with our father and works for a small construction company who are adamant that their workers still attend site as normal albeit with modified Risk & Method Statements advising on the 2m distance rule and hand washing/hand sanitising and recommending that the travel to site alone in their own vehicles. 
    My brother is extremely stressed with the pressure of bring home COVID-19 and feels that he could “be to blame” if the worst was to happen to our vulnerable father. He has been in constant communication with management at his work and enquired about furlough but his managers refused point blank and suggested (not in so many words) that those who do not do what is required of them now, when this is all over they will not be favoured to stay employed with them despite my brother working with the company for almost 18 years!
    We just don’t know where we stand with this. On one hand the government want to protect my father as best they can but on the other hand they are taking the virus into his home by insisting that construction sites stay open!!!! 
    How can this be right???
    Please if there is anything you can advise we do to protect our father and my brothers job we would very much appreciate it.
    Practice the enhanced shielding techniques when at home and work as per https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

If you decide not to go into work you will not be entitled to SSP. It is the employers decision on whether to use furlough and there is no reason for them to consider the status of somebody you live with.

I am in the shielded list and my wife is still working. We just have to be very careful about employing all the shielding techniques. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 March 2020 at 7:16PM
    Options
    If needed look at eligibility for Universal Credit https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/

There are online calculators to help you assess entitlement  https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Be aware that claiming UC will end any Tax Credits you currently get.

You will be excluded from UC if you have savings over £16,000.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Bradust
    Bradust Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 March 2020 at 9:20AM
    Options
    Can I get paid under the job retention scheme for a 0 hour contracts job and still claim self employment help? (95 percent of my work is self employment) 
  • Jeremy535897
    Jeremy535897 Posts: 10,462 Forumite
    Options
    On the face of it, yes, but you can't oblige your employer to put you in the scheme, and he has to furlough you so you can do no work for the employer.
  • LeeSouthwick
    Options

I left full time employment, My final day was March the 11th. To join another company full time. My first day was March 16th. Now the new company has Furloughed everyone. But the government said you must have been on payroll on or prior to February 28th. So the new company said they cannont help me.

I read this on the government help site:
    8. Eligible employees are those on the payroll on 28 February 2020. Any employee who was made redundant after that date but who was employed then, can be re-employed and furloughed.

Can my old company re employ me so I'm entitled to some money? As the new guys can't claim for me.

• Mcpointon
    Options
    Hello, can you claim Tax Relief for the electricity that is consumed as we are forced into working from home ?
  • Jeremy535897
    Options

I left full time employment, My final day was March the 11th. To join another company full time. My first day was March 16th. Now the new company has Furloughed everyone. But the government said you must have been on payroll on or prior to February 28th. So the new company said they cannont help me.

I read this on the government help site:
    8. Eligible employees are those on the payroll on 28 February 2020. Any employee who was made redundant after that date but who was employed then, can be re-employed and furloughed.

Can my old company re employ me so I'm entitled to some money? As the new guys can't claim for me.

No because you weren't made redundant by them.
  • Jeremy535897
    Options
    Mcpointon said:
    Hello, can you claim Tax Relief for the electricity that is consumed as we are forced into working from home ?
    You would be better asking if your employer would contribute. It is notoriously difficult to get tax relief on expenses paid for personally against employment income.
  • Fshorty30
    Fshorty30 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was looking for advice. My husband is employed as a construction worker in a pre cast concrete permanent yard and his company are still operational under essential work.It is deemed as essential as the work carried out will be for the navy. My  husband feels unsafe at work from the threat of the coronavirus ( feels the government guidelines restrictions are not being followed)  and has taken it upon himself to take a leave of absence, which he now looks after our 2 children. Incidentally half if the workforce ( approximately 50 men have also followed suit) He has been advised he wont be getting any type of payment during his absence from his company. Fortunately I am working as a key worker so do have some income coming in. Is he entitled to any form of income or benefits? I own another property so i believe this would exclude us from claiming universal credit. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback