New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Carers with Corona virus

71 replies 2.9K views
50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
10.4K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
What would a disabled person be expected to do - if their partner /carer gets this virus?
For myself - shopping is impossible - mobility is too poor
Is the government going to offer advice on what to do? 
Things will get better

Replies

• _shel_shel Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
     Online shopping, friends and family dropping off what you need but staying at the door 
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a carer and a carer.  Each one's different. 

Some people need turning every 2-3 hours.... some others are just idle and their "carer" just makes them cups of tea all day and a sandwich lunch, things the cared-for-person could have done for themselves but would've taken them an hour apiece. 

Some people could look after themselves if they had to, they've just always had an on-site partner who just slid into the role and they sat back and just convinced themselves it's needed.  Some people would die without essential things being done to/for them. 

If somebody's got the virus, there'll have been enough people around for the other person to say "Oi, what about me?" and there'd be a system for that. 
  • edited 7 March at 12:32PM
    _shel_shel Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 March at 12:32PM
     Yup I have a carers emergency card because I care for two vulnerable people. Used it once when I ended up in hospital with a bad seizure and social workers went out to do checks. No more was needed because I discharged myself after a few  hours when I woke up
    Don't Buy The S*n
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    warby68 said:
    What plans do you have in place currently for if something happens to your partner/carer for any other reason? (I have a carer's emergency package which would be enacted if I couldn't care for my mum - never used it so not sure how sucessful it would be and I am also on lists with Age Concern/Age UK who can provide emergency help such as a bit of shopping) 
    I am stocking her up too now with some extra supplies (she always has at least a week of food anyway) so you could do that. 
    I wouldn't sit back and wait for government to cover every eventuality - they will be stretched to the limit and there is no magic secret supply of extra carers with coronavirus immunity who can step in.
    I'd expect neighbours and local communities to start rallying too - I would happily drop supplies at doors where needed. 
    I have absoutely no idea what a CARERS EMERGENCY PACKAGE is - or how it would be enacted...................

Things will get better
  • warby68warby68 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    That's not the actual name but it is a service provided by mum's local authority in conjunction with social services. I had a lengthy telephone interview from which a plan was formulated with hard copies here and at mum's and in their system. I also received a carer's grant to make my life a bit easier - 100% unexpected.
    I suggest if you and your carer have no contingency plans already you check what is out there in your area. I know it varies by area as I live in a different one to mum. I had no idea myself until mum had a hospital admission last year what services are out there. Her return home involved emergency care at home by social services who introduced lots of services I did not know existed and I said yes to everything and learnt from there. You HAVE to help yourselves first not just complain and hope - seriously not meant as a dig but get ringing and see what you can sort. Your carer would welcome some peace of mind as well no doubt, not just for coronavirus.
  • edited 7 March at 2:34PM
    10.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 March at 2:34PM
    warby68 said:
    That's not the actual name but it is a service provided by mum's local authority in conjunction with social services. I had a lengthy telephone interview from which a plan was formulated with hard copies here and at mum's and in their system. I also received a carer's grant to make my life a bit easier - 100% unexpected.
    I suggest if you and your carer have no contingency plans already you check what is out there in your area. I know it varies by area as I live in a different one to mum. I had no idea myself until mum had a hospital admission last year what services are out there. Her return home involved emergency care at home by social services who introduced lots of services I did not know existed and I said yes to everything and learnt from there. You HAVE to help yourselves first not just complain and hope - seriously not meant as a dig but get ringing and see what you can sort. Your carer would welcome some peace of mind as well no doubt, not just for coronavirus.
    I presume any financial assistance is "savings dependent" ?
    I / We are not looking for a grant, as such - I am just concerned about what I would do - if my wife ever fell ill - I would be "up the creek....."
    Things will get better
  • warby68warby68 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    No, that was a minor side issue - just meant to show its surprising what's out there. It was a one off couple of hundred quid not means tested just to do with being a carer, nothing to do with the caring as such - it was to treat myself essentially.
    Your wife would also be up the creek if she was ill as presumably there is noone to care for her either. You should be looking at contingencies for both of you but your posts are very much 'I' focussed. I hope that's just the way you write. Hopefully you can get to work on some plans now pending any 'government' updates. 
  • edited 8 March at 10:37AM
    10.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 March at 10:37AM
    At what point will the government give up trying to contain the virus by asking people to phone 111 and just say "self isolate"?
    At what point will, potential help from charities or local authorities be removed due to the large numbers of affected people ?
     What are the actual physical symptoms ?
    Apart from fever, cough and shortness of breath....
    ie) Does it knock you for 6 - and you just want to curl up and sleep ?
    Things will get better