Coronavirus travel disruption - latest info and your rights

Comments

• zexpe
    zexpe Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yesterday, Cyprus briefly declared mandatory 14-day self-isolation for any visitors from the UK. Clearly this would ruin any two-week holiday plans and would be somewhat incompatible with travel to/from the airport for trips of a shorter duration. Are airlines seriously going to run flights to countries that the UK say is fine to travel to, but these countries want UK travellers to enter isolation? If we cancel the flights would that come under "deciding not to travel" as far as the travel insurers are concerned?
  • Have you tried calling Coverwise?   I’ve been trying to call all week and their numbers are out of order.  AXA who underwrite the policy will not help as they say they can’t view the policy.
  • Booked a River cruise for 23rd April. All paid up with Saga.  Flying to Amsterdam then cruising Holland for 2 weeks.  Husband 81 me 79...worried please advise.  Tour Operator saying nothing yet...
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Booked a River cruise for 23rd April. All paid up with Saga.  Flying to Amsterdam then cruising Holland for 2 weeks.  Husband 81 me 79...worried please advise.  Tour Operator saying nothing yet...
    Sit tight and keep checking with the operator on the status of the trip.  If it gets cancelled, they'll refund.  If either of you gets ill and is unable to travel, speak to your insurer.
    23rd April is absolutely ages away in what is an extremely fast-moving situation.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Albert5pen, agreed it is too early to cancel and if you do you may not get anything back from Saga or your insurers. However if 14 days before departure things have got worse, and I think they may, then contact your doctor and see if he/she will confirm you should not travel due to your health conditions. That may trigger the ability to make an insurance claim
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I booked a  refundable flightwith  Thai Airways for next week via their website. I now want to cancel as the quarantine period is likely to be longer than the trip but I cannot get through to Thai as the phone number is constantly engaged. Any suggestions
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    @Scotbot : If you booked a fully flexible/refundable ticket direct with Thai then you should be able to manage your booking and cancel via the MMB section on the airline website.

• b56c
    b56c Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Exodus has cancelled upcoming Italian trip on 11 April. Refund is on its way. Booked flights with Ryanair separately and my flight is still showing as going ahead (believe that they are cancelling up to 8 April.) I clearly no longer need my flight as the Exodus package is cancelled but don’t know where I stand in terms of a cancellation/refund with Ryanair. Wait until closer to the time to see if my flight is cancelled? Try to claim via insurance policy? 
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    makey1976 said:
    Need help . I booked flights,train,accommodation all separate and on credit card for a trip next Thursday for football. The game now has been closed to public ,now behind closed door. 
    What rights do I have . I have took out travel insurance but reading the guide on here , looks like it’s no good unless government says Germany is unsafe to travel to .(which they haven’t).
    could I claim back on credit card ,is this possible .
    and help would be grateful , lot of money to lose 
    Why would a credit card help? That's to claim money back in the event the supplier hasn't provided the service; you can still travel to Germany just not to do the event you wanted. 

Insurance is your only option, failing that it's goodwill by the companies. 
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 March 2020 at 3:04PM
    b56c said:
    Wait until closer to the time to see if my flight is cancelled? Try to claim via insurance policy? 
    Speak to your travel insurance.  Its likely that given the current situation they will ask you wait and see what Ryanair do.  If the Ryanair flight is cancelled you'll get a refund. 

Because you arranged the flights independently of your tour with Exodus then the two are unrelated. If the flight does go ahead then you may be able to claim the money back from your travel insurance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback