»

(Merged) Help!: Paid for visas but now they’re free!

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

(Merged) Help!: Paid for visas but now they’re free!

61 replies 2.1K views
misspenny321misspenny321 Forumite
4 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi all! If you haven’t heard already Turkey are allowing the UK free visas from March 2020. We are a family of 6 and travelling there in May, we paid for our visas recently because we were told it’s best to have them ready 3 months before we travel. This set us back £162. We’re gutted! Is there anything we can do?? We’ve tried messaging the ministry of foreign affairs there but they just sent us a link with a statement of what the minister said. I’m guessing we’ll have to suck it up and lose the £162. We paid by credit card but they said they can’t help. :'(  

Replies

• edited 20 February at 5:26PM
    NoodleDoodleManNoodleDoodleMan Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 20 February at 5:26PM
    Not just the UK.
    I doubt the Turkish government will be making retrospective refunds on visa payments.
    No harm in asking though.

• edited 20 February at 5:48PM
    leylandsunaddictleylandsunaddict Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 20 February at 5:48PM
    I doubt it. Visa charge isn't dropped until March. They're hardly likely to refund for every visa bought before that date. There was no need to get them so early. 3 months in advance is the maximum but you can do them up to 48 hrs prior. No benefit to getting them early. Visa on arrival is still available as well.  
  • heatherw_01heatherw_01 Forumite, Board Guide
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most likely no. They would end up having to probably refund thousands of people otherwise.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • misspenny321misspenny321 Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I doubt it. Visa charge isn't dropped until March. They're hardly likely to refund for every visa bought before that date. There was no need to get them so early. 3 months in advance is the maximum but you can do them up to 48 hrs prior. No benefit to getting them early. Visa on arrival is still available as well.  
    I know, but my husbands super organised and just wanted it done so he didn’t forget. They only recently put the visa price up a bit too so we didn’t see this coming. Just gutted really. Lesson learned I suppose, don’t do them early lol 
  • Okydoky25Okydoky25 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I’m in the same boat. Have you called your credit card company and asked for a charge back? I’m booked mine using my Tesco Credit card so was going to call and check. 
  • misspenny321misspenny321 Forumite
    4 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Okydoky25 said:
    I’m in the same boat. Have you called your credit card company and asked for a charge back? I’m booked mine using my Tesco Credit card so was going to call and check. 
    Let me know how you get on with them! We asked if we’d be able to claim it back but they said at the time of purchase it was all valid and we needed it, so there’s nothing they can do. 
  • Okydoky25Okydoky25 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Okydoky25 said:
    Let me know how you get on with them! We asked if we’d be able to claim it back but they said at the time of purchase it was all valid and we needed it, so there’s nothing they can do. 
    I’ll likely get the same response. Frustrating as I was already annoyed at the price increase from last year. Hardly fair to be penalised for being efficient but won’t dwell on it. 
  • heatherw_01heatherw_01 Forumite, Board Guide
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im sorry but why would a credit card company entertain a chargeback on this? What service is not being provided? 

exactly, chargebacks should not be used for this at all
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • mattyprice4004mattyprice4004 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chargeback or Section 75 won't apply in this case - when applied for, the Visa was necessary and had to be paid for. 

I bought an item last week that's £50 cheaper this week - it's just how it is sometimes. :)