What small DFW things will you do w/c 27th Jan?

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!:money:
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 January 2020 at 5:30PM
    Options
    Morning guys :D thought I'd get us started for the week.

Hope everyone is chipper, had a good weekend. Those who are struggling for whatever reason (((hugs))). Hoping the missing regulars put in an appearance this week.

Today my plans are:

[STRIKE]* load of washing & double spin[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* TOMM[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* all meals from stores - need to get something out of freezer for tea[/STRIKE] done
    [STRIKE]* some form of exercise[/STRIKE] did 2 x 20 min power walk to school and a stretching workout thanks to youtube :cool:
    [STRIKE]* some sewing[/STRIKE] :j I finished a paid job and hemmed a dress that's been waiting to be hemmed for ages :)
    * use up of roasted peanuts from xmas. Oh said they'll go off before we can eat them as he's not keen. Challenge accepted! :rotfl:

Am going to the cinema with friends this evening :D

Ok not much going on for me today!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 January 2020 at 9:28PM
    Options
    Morning DNMS, and thanks for starting the thread :)
    :hello:Hello to everyone else :)
    Off to restock and clean up my sales unit this morning - it is slow this month, but only to be expected I suppose! I was pleased to see that I have had a few sales over the past few days :) Took me ages to restock as people kept coming into my part of the shop (which is good!) so I kept having to move out of the way.

Other than that:
    Home grown fruit from freezer for breakfast (I don't have much more in there now) :(
    Check banks and update spreadsheet if need be
    No spending planned :A Nothing spent :D
    All food from home, but not much cooking needed as I made enough dinner last night for tonight as well :DDone, finished off the pork fillet in creamy red wine and mushroom sauce that I made yesterday, and made the leftover veg into bubble and squeak to go with it. No waste here!
    Some cleaning and sorting in the house Not much done here, but I have been into the loft and sorted out another box of items to take to my sales unit later in the week. Sort of tidying in the eaves cupboard I suppose :o
    Change bed Done, washed linen ready to hopefully peg outside in the morning, weather permitting!
    There will be more, back later to update :)
    Not much :o RM surveys tasks, a kitchen clean up, a bit of work on my larder list and that is about it!
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Thanks for starting us off dnms lovely to hear you so chipper on last night and this mornings thread.

Hi to dawn also and all who follow. My plans for today:
    Meals from stores/leftovers
    Freezer inventory update
    Check banking
    Reconcile just for points credit card
    Start budget for payday on Friday
    Make a call
    Move money ready to pay tax bills :( at least it’s saved ;)

Have a good day all. Purps.
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 January 2020 at 11:33AM
    Options
    Morning folks!

DNMS - sounds like those good sleeps are helping :)

Normal work day today but I have really enjoyed my weekend. Plus now only 3 days until my next one!

Today's small things:
    :heartpuls B/L/D from stores. Asked OH to prep some of the veg ready for me - done
    :heartpuls Check PMP - done
    :heartpuls Charge phone in work - done
    :heartpuls Heating off. Mostly because I can't get it to switch on again. Very temperamental. - it came on so gave the house a gentle warm. It loses heat very quickly.
    :heartpuls Short walk at lunchtime to get the blood flowing - not done as was waiting on colleague who never showed!
    :heartpuls Have started a cross stitch for mil. Will work on that tonight. - done
    :heartpuls Poss list some ebay things but prob cba - cba ;)

Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • twiggy86
    twiggy86 Posts: 2,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all!

Haven't read the thread from the weekend, so hope everyone is well.

Today I have/will:
    * Check banks
    * Do foam rolling
    * Make lunch to take to work
    * Turn microwave off at the wall
    * Park for free and walk to work
    * Continue using up OOD cereal for breakfast and use communal milk at work
    * Update spreadsheet with weekends spends
    * Print something at work for present
    * Either run or gym at lunch - possibly running with a friend tonight although she isn't feeling 100%
    * Check OP/ PA
    * Maybe cash out on PA and make CC over-payment
    * Use charity bag as bin liner
    * Dinner from stores
    * Do some more crochet

That's everything I can think of for now. Hope you all have a good day!
    Starting again..
  • 1LuckyLady
    1LuckyLady Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 January 2020 at 2:42PM
    Options
    Morning all and thanks for this weeks thread Dnms.

Todays list from me
    :grinheart Ys bread for the boys toast with scrambled eggs for breakfast ✅
    :grinheart 2 gym classes done and water bottle refilled there - will get back to showering there tomorrow too. ✅
    :grinheart Booked boys a badminton court - paid over the phone and got the student rate. ✅
    :grinheart Popped to aldee with my list - mainly fruit/veg/bread and milk ✅
    :grinheart Check all sockets that can be off, are! ✅
    :grinheart Put a wash on the quick 30degree wash - ✅ put it on the even quicker wash 20mins instead of 30 min - I didn't know there was this quicker one til now - gutted though as I've just realised that a sock has fallen out of the basket on the way down :mad:I really need to walk through the house before clicking start as this often happens!
    :grinheart Hang on heated airer ✅ (need to empty airer first! ✅)
    :grinheart Rethink the meal plan for the week as the badminton tomorrow will need to be a quick tea instead of what I'd planned!
    :grinheart Check banking /update spreadsheets ✅
    :grinheart Put all the shopping away - this really should be higher up the list then this! ✅
    :grinheart Nice, cheap and healthy porridge for my brunch ✅
    :grinheart Sorted out a few more bits and pieces for the charity shop, I keep a bag in the bottom of my wardrobe for these things which really helps me. ✅
    :grinheart I have part of an episode to finish (last episode of a series ) on netfiix today before it finishes today. We only put it on for a month here and there.
    :grinheart Make families lunches for tomorrow

That's my start. I'll be back in a bit.
    ✅✅ checked tcb to see if any cashback was payable
    ✅✅ ordered some books from the library online for ds1
    ✅✅ emptied the dehumidifier into the toilet cistern
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
  • TryingAgain2022
    Options
    Hi all and happy sunnier Monday!

27 Jan DWF

-check I don’t need to do a tax return because of Amazon stuff
    -set reminder to check my own royalties monthly. These are pennies but still
    -pay family member first 100 of their loan back. Not much but still a big achievement for me and will make a difference to them of course

-do surveys and pick my postcode
    -check banks
    -check school meals balances
    -check salary amount when it comes in

-doctor’s appointment this week - blood test, must chase up scan date as well
    -cancel membership of an online thing that I let go last year in case I got back into it, but now have decided it’s not giving me any benefit. It costs £100/year at the moment, one payment - if I rejoin in the future my ancient deal will not be available and it would be £37/month. But right now I am just not involved in this thing.

-shopping with points using shiny new apps
    -pack lunches and work from home fuel/lunch savings as usual
    -will need to put fuel in car boo!
    -continue to write down spends in my bullet journal

-if poss go and see David Copperfield with my DD. Looks like the local cinema only has it on for a week, boo! Which would save me money but is a bit rubbish. If ntthe find some other thing to do with her as she complains we only ever do Tesco at the weekend.

-plant some seeds we bought a few weeks back. It’s time!

That’s it. After a ropey December and January because of lost pay I am back on it for February.

-TryingAgain
    PEAK Dec 2019: £24,273 -- NOW Virgin £2377 Markses £681 Halifax £6143 Loan £6696 Family loan £5819 TOTAL: £21,706 -- Paid off: £2308. Target: Jan 2023 LBM: monthly pay but weekly spend doh :o December 2020 target = £18212 and nothing added to CCs AND by paying an extra 20 a month on something I just knocked 8 months off my target date :-)
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning all, had a lovely weekend with only planned spending, still a lot though. Did end up getting a bike helmet so I can use gifted bike on weekends. It hurts me to use car for local errands, as need the workout and also to save on diesel.
    Had a bit of a self care morning as saw doctor about a referral for a concentration issue and for my dodgy ankle - so am now going to get x ray and then a sports therapist or similar to get help with strengthening before and as going back into running.

On the MSE side I cooked 2 dishes yesterday a quiche which doubled up for lunches today and a chicken dish that will be main feature tonight. This is luck was will need to spending evening emptying ds room as floor will now finally be relaid tomorrow and Wednesday.

I did a medium shop on Saturday and might need to bake or bulk up on snacks later in the week. But basically am just eating out of the cupboards. Bringing lunch and coffees, and just planning more homely and free activities with friends in the weeks till half term.

Did a quick bank check and shuffle at got some money in.
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
  • little_pink_purse
    Options
    Good Afternoon

sorry I missed Saturday and Sunday
    I did loads Saturday to be honest probably too much so i spent Sunday on the sofa and had a take away :eek:
    today I have done my tax return I hate doing it scares me LOL

today's to do
    general tidy up
    ironing
    do the meal planner for the week
    check banking
    see if i can pick up any extra shifts
    try and bond with mr grey cat xx :D

have a great day hugs to all and keep warm xxlppxxx
    debt total £71k AGE 47 TRY TO BE DEBT FREE BY 50
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    LPP - I've never had to do a tax return, but they sound awful. My Mum always hated doing hers!
    Good luck with getting it crossed off the list for another year.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure