• reggierose69
    Options
    Are there any other companies you would recommend for the DRO 
    many thanks 
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,880 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I haven’t applied to anyone yet but it was going to be stepchange  I am my dads POA so I have to change that first to my sister because I read you can’t be POA for financial affairs if you have a DRO, I’m sick with worry with all this I’m afraid of getting stuff wrong and messing it up. 
    I know everyone has stress and worry’s so I have to suck it up.
    its amazing how things can change so quickly. Up until October last year I was living in London and let’s say managing I’ve never missed or been late paying my cc but i then had to move to Wales and become my dads Carer he has dementia, I applied for UC and thankfully was accepted but obviously this is not enough to pay my debits, family have helped up to now but that can’t continue. 
    I’m exhausted just trying to work things out and how to do stuff.
    so thank you to you guys and your advice 
    Try not to let debt stress you out, it can be time consuming getting all the required information for a DRO, but short term pain, for long term gain, is how you should look at it.
    Take your time, don`t rush into anything, ideally you should stop all creditor payments, debt collection is a very slow process, and goes to demonstrate your debts are not manageable.

Stepchange is a registered intermediary, and do all the hard work for you, your application will not be submitted, if there is a chance it will fail, that`s the job of the intermediary.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Are there any other companies you would recommend for the DRO 
    many thanks 
    If your local Citizens Advice has someone who can do DROs (an Approved Intermediary) then that can be a good way forward. If they don't have one, they can refer you on, but you are then not doing it face to face, and I honestly think that's best - but getting increasingly difficult to find.

There are probably a dozen 'competent authorities' who can do these but CAB and stepchange do the bulk of them. I guess that's why they are listed first here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/getting-a-debt-relief-order/getting-a-debt-relief-order#find-a-debt-adviser
  • reggierose69
    Options
    Thanks guys it’s great to have advice on here it can just calm the nerves. 
    Regards to payment of cc should I just stop paying? If they contact me should I say I’m looking to apply for DRO or say nothing of my plans 
  • fatbelly
    Options
    I haven’t applied to anyone yet but it was going to be stepchange  I am my dads POA so I have to change that first to my sister because I read you can’t be POA for financial affairs if you have a DRO, I’m sick with worry with all this I’m afraid of getting stuff wrong and messing it up. 

Yeah. unfortunately that is true

Eligibility to hold a Power of Attorney for the financial affairs of an individual ceases on the making of a DRO. The debtor must cease acting as a Power of Attorney in relation to an individual’s financial affairs upon the making of the order.

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,880 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    fatbelly said:

Yeah. unfortunately that is true

Eligibility to hold a Power of Attorney for the financial affairs of an individual ceases on the making of a DRO. The debtor must cease acting as a Power of Attorney in relation to an individual’s financial affairs upon the making of the order.

Is a deputy-ship viewed in the same way ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    Options
    I don't think so - the guidance explicitly refers to power of attorney.

As I seem to be sharing my IT problems on this thread, I now not only have a new faster browser - I also have a new faster phone line/socket/hub after Storm Dennis sent a lightning bolt through the old one. Seems OK but the BT engineer still wants to visit this week for some reason.
  • reggierose69
    Options
    Regards to payment of cc should I just stop paying? If they contact me should I say I’m looking to apply for DRO or say nothing of my plans 
  • fatbelly
    Options
    In the run-up to a DRO it's best not to pay anyone - that way you treat everyone equally and save your £90 as fast as possible.

You don't need to tell them anything

• reggierose69
    Options
    Thanks for that just feels alien now not trying to pay these bills, but must admit it does relieve some pressure. Glad not to have to be pleading to family again. 
    And you say I don’t have to tell the cc companies of my plans
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure