Frugal, thrifty, make do, mend! Let this debt come to an end!

Comments

• FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Wow you are doing so well. I love how you have broken it down and tracking where you have come in under budget or over budget. The way you go about things is such an inspiration, keep going
  • Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Just a quick update. I spent 5p more than budgeted on my curry out tonight, so I'll need to add that to my pocket month spend!

I'll have to rethink some of the proposed budgets I mentioned in my last post, as there are few thing I have forgotten about

I have also been given a free ticket to a charity night during February. I had originally said I wasn't going, but someone had double booked and was anxious to give away their ticket so I felt rather obliged. I'm sure it will be a fun night.
    Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • Elisheba
    Happy Saturday all,

I couldn't bring myself to post yesterday, or watch the news or do anything really. I feel like my part of identity has been stolen, and I am hideously worried about the economic impact and consequences. One of the darkest days in our history. The only way I can cope is to try to distance myself emotionally, as I'm utterly powerless to change this madness (and God knows I've tried).

In DFW news it adds extra impetus to my resolve to become debt free. Things are going to become very stormy in the next few years and I'd like to be as financial secure as possible to try and weather the storm.

Today I got my monthly shop in. £31 22, and I shouldn't need much else in the coming month so February should come in under £40.

I was out for lunch today with a friend, and she very kindly and unexpectedly paid for lunch so that was very lovely of her.

Netflix, Prime and Spotify have been cancelled :eek:. That really takes me out of my comfort zone with this new way of life. I've had them for years and not having them, no matter how little I use them, feels very basic and spartan. It really is a different way of life because everyone I know has them, and we talk about the shows. I'm stepping away from social norms I'm accustomed to and it is rather unsettling.

I organised my food cupboards after the monthly shop. Things in there included 9 tins of beans, and 6 tins of coconut milk. That seems rather a lot for 1 person :rotfl:

This month my special treat to myself is going to be coal for the fire. I've added £20 to my pocket money for it, which should be enough for 2 or 3 fires in the evening a week. I do absolutely love sitting by the fire when it is merrily blazing away. It's very good for my soul which I need right now.

Tomorrow I'm not sure what I'm doing. A long lie and then probably house things that I need to catch up on. I'm going to practice a lot of self care, as I really am deeply traumatised by the bl**dy B word. I can't even bring myself to say it. I will try to make the second batch of Seville marmalade and then have bath in the evening I think. I can do another honey and cinnamon hair mask as I continue to try and lighten my hair without having to dye it, and read by the fire later on.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • Elisheba wrote: »
    I organised my food cupboards after the monthly shop. Things in there included 9 tins of beans, and 6 tins of coconut milk. That seems rather a lot for 1 person :rotfl:
    Add in some chopped tomatoes and passata and that is exactly what my cupboard looks like!

I love the descriptions you have in your diary, the roaring fire sounds lovely. Take care of yourself today.
    Debt at LBM (Dec 2018): £23,167
    Debt free Feb 2021
  • Elisheba
    AK I also have about 10 cartons of passata, but very few tins of chopped tomatoes weirdly enough!
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi Elisheba, another receipt app is snap my eats. Your take photos of food spending, both meals out and grocery shopping. I'm new to it this year but it looks like you can earn £5 a month from it.

Did you find an app that accepts train receipts? I find Shoppix don't. Instead I'm using nectar and earning points their for buying gwr tickets online.

I'm on Shoppix, receipt Hog, snap my eats, zip zero and shopmium. I don't use shopmium as much as it's money off shopping in big stores and I don't go to them often, as I find Aldi and Lidl added so much better value, but I just got a vegan pizza to try for £2 instead of £3.65 so it will make a treat dinner one evening I hope. I also think I get topped up from a friend referral so the pizza will have only cost me £1 in the end - I think!
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    subb'ed and good luck!

i'm not a mechanially minded man, but i do have to say having a swiss "champ" this is the best most featured actual swiss army knife, (30 odd tools) comes in handy daily for me! i even have a wallet one, and that gets used a lot too, eg i went out with a lil tag still on new jeans last week, so out comes the small scissors or lil 1.5 inch knife and boom! - one of them or a leatherman are a life investment for sure!

im deffo with you on the consumerism side, its like cooking shows with jamie ramsey, gino lawson, or delia oliver on. "buy the book that accompanies the series" - ermm no, i could just make a list myself.
    and upto a point all the books on the subjects that we come on these boards for, i read a lot on DFW that SPEND money on books that this site / boards give you for free..

and words that are new, and seem to be all the rage, but are things people have been doing for years but it just wasn't a trend. such as "self care", aka, spend some time to do your own thing that your enjoy! or "mindfulnesss", aka go to a happy place and be thankful or to destress. "detox", aka put the crisps away linda and eat a bloody apple, it really is NOT rocket science.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback