Frugal, thrifty, make do, mend! Let this debt come to an end!

Comments

• Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Thanks, Chrystal
    Honestly though, I felt fine and just a good tired at the end of the day. I think the secret it just doing things at my own pace. There is no rush, I'm doing stuff because I want to. I sat down for a cuppa when I felt like it, and I kept myself well fed so no blood sugar crashes.

In the past, if I was having an industrious day I would try to squeeze as much as possible in, not knowing when I might feel in the mood again. It would leave me exhausted and hating what I was doing, so even less likely to so the same things another time.
    Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • FootyFanDan
    FootyFanDan Posts: 1,365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Wow! I admire your attitude to this sooooooooo much! With the way you are going you have totally got this.

Loving the list that structures your day
  • Your diary title really caught my eye, so I started reading and am delurking to say I have subscribed, really enjoying your posts and new mindfulness attitude towards life.
  • Elisheba
    Awwh, thanks Pentacle. That's really lovely of you to say so, and yes, my diary name does rather fit with your user name :j
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • Elisheba
    Thanks FootballFanDan. My list has gone entirely off piste today, but I'll report all later!
  • Elisheba
    Morning all,
    Sunday went completely left of field in the end. I spent the morning looking at an old clock, then pulling said clock apart, wondering if I can fix it. The answer is probably no, but I'll keep at it. It's a rather old and battered 8 day Westminster Chiming clock that I'm rather fond of.

I had a stab at the marmalade yesterday but that's another thing that didn't quite work out. After 3 rounds in the breadmaker at jam setting it still wouldn't form a skin that crinkled on a saucer. By this point it was bed time, so I gave up for the day. I've put it back on this morning. I only used half my oranges so will do the next batch properly in the preserving pan! I tried to be mindful and enjoy the moment through the whole process, but to be honest I spend quite a bit of the time rather concerned :eek:

I think yesterday was a NSD... Yes it was. Yay!

I finished Down to Earth by Rhonda Hertzel. It was very good indeed, and very inspiring.

So another week! My lovely weekend is over and its time to get back to the grindstone. I'm working from home almost all week, so that saves train fares, and I'll go to the library which will save money on my heating.

I'm aiming to get some tasks and projects finished this week at work, so I can look back and be satisfied with my working week.

I'm also very much looking forward to the end of the month, and sorting out the figures. How much debt have I paid off? How much do I still owe? Can I fully reconcile my budget for this month? What's the budget for next month? These sort of things make me happy.
  • Elisheba
    Okay, so payday is tomorrow so time to call it for this month! The figures are in and they are....

January 2020

Actual debt reduction: £577.90

Amount paid out in debt repayments: £585.50 (the reason this is almost identical to the debt reduction this month is to do with catalogue returns and is an anomaly. Interest would normally make the actual reduction much lower than the repayment)

Savings: £278 ( this is going to pay extra rent next month so I can change my DD to the end of the month to reduce charges on the OD.

Total debt left: £20552.27 (down to a new thousand bracket :beer:)

Budgets

Food: £53.43/£50. Only over by £3.49! Woohoo:T. This included about £7 for marmalade ingredients, about £7 at Greggs, both of which were optional extras. So next month I'm going to stretch and try a budget of £30.

Cats: £15.48/£30 Even with my new regime of half biscuits and half meat, this is very low. I had quite a lot of tins going into the month so didn't have to buy as many as normal.

Stockpile: £42.95/£0. There was no stockpile budget, so technically my 2 years of loo roll and about 10 years of toothbrush heads is an overspend. It was a thought through decision and an investment though so I'm not worried. I'll also get about £7 cashback on it in the dim and distant future.

Pocket money: £78.31/£100 This was low, but it could have been lower. £20 unnecessarily spent on an evening out I hadn't planned, and another £19 on library fines. I'm going to stretch myself next month and see if i can lower it to £60.

Travel: £61.30/ £120 This was abnormally low this month due to specific circumstances that are unlikely to repeat themselves.

Petrol: £0/£40 I had almost a full tank at the start of the month so didn't need to buy any. Going to push it next month and see if i can lower it to £20 as I don't have any big car journeys planned.

I can't tell you how useful I find it to have this all written out in black and white!

In regards to next month with the rent over-payment, and the £100 payment towards the massive, surprise energy bill I won't be able to put much by for over-payment. I doubt I'll get down into the £19k bracket by the end of February, but definitely by the end of March (fingers crossed!).
  • I've just started reading your diary and it's very inspiring. I love the title as well, a mantra I will try try emulate.

I've subscribed.
    Tesco [STRIKE]£7647.88[/STRIKE] £7,488.96 Asda [STRIKE]£2,552[/STRIKE] £2,300 Virgin [STRIKE]££4,204.95[/STRIKE] £4,204.95
    Halifax [STRIKE]£2,853[/STRIKE] £2,796.64 Barclaycard [STRIKE]£7,866.32[/STRIKE] £7,866.32 Wedding £488 EF £63
  • Elisheba
    Thanks, Only Pariah. That's lovely of you to say!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback