Frugal, thrifty, make do, mend! Let this debt come to an end!

Comments

• Elisheba
    Elisheba Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Oh I forgot to say, I kept it a NSD - yay! I also moved my living room furniture around so hopefully my radiator starts heating the room and not just the back of the sofa. Fingers crossed!
    Live the good life where you have been planted.
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • Elisheba
    No huge updates for the last couple of days. I think its just about getting the changes I have made bedded in, and making sure I stick to good habits. A NSD yesterday, but I think I might have to spend some money tonight at the group I go to. I've budgeted £10 but probably won't come to that.

With me being much more strict with the heating it has got me thinking about seasons and the modern world. In the past I would have the heating on at full blast in every room when I was in the house. It was often on when I wasn't in as well as I would forget to change the timer. Almost always my office is piping hot when I am in there, so the only time I knew about the weather was hearing it hit the windows, or walking to the train.

Now, I am putting extra layers on. My heating default is off, I have moved furniture so radiators heat rooms better, and only have the radiator on if I am in the room. I did try just not having the heating on at all, which is fine sometimes, but when I am sitting down working at home all day that's not a huge amount of fun.

I know what season it is though. I can feel what season it is. I am experiencing winter in visceral way that I haven't done since I was a child, and spent a lot of time at an old farm where there was only one open fire for heat.

I know this is better for my purse, and better for the environment, but I think it also might be better for me mentally as well. Not that it it good to be cold, but I'm not cold. I am wrapped up and cosy, and I appreciate it so much more than I did when the heating blasted and I took it for granted. We evolved to suit our environment, and being aware of sunrise and sunset and the changing season fits into our circadian rhythms and affects out behaviour, and in my opinion boosts our well being.

Moving on from winter, but still on the topic of well being, I really need to sort out my sleeping patterns. I need a fair amount of sleep, and I need a steady sleep pattern - which I have been totally ignoring this week. It leaves me tired, and groggy and unmotivated, and I need to get back on track and put a decent structure in place again.

I'm super annoyed about my OD charges changing to a percentage based debt in a couple of months. I've based all my debt repayment plans around the currently system. I'm not sure if this new system with help or hinder me, but hopefully I'll get at least one paid off this year si it won't matter than much for long :D

This week
    1. Do some mending. Done
    2. Look into selling wedding dress and two pairs of boots on ebay etc. Research started
    3. Do more research on some of the make extra money ideas on MSE. Done
    4. Stay on top of the housework. Make a plan to help with this. Sort of done
    5. Fix payments for two more Cc's. Done
    6. Keep going through MSE and writing down more frugal ideas Ongoing
    7. Start knitting cushion cover Not done
    8. Look at wardrobe and see what can be altered/repurposed to give an extra lease of life. Not done
    9. Finish 2 books for reading challenge. Not done
    10. Go through change jar and see what's in there. Done - £3.11 - Wooooooo!
    Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2022 - 15 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2023 - 6 carried over. Fashion on the Ration Challenge 2024 - 67 remaining out of 72 My Frugal, Thrifty Moneysaving Diary
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I love a new diiary and I love your organisation and dedication to the pursuit of becoming debt free. Good for you!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • Elisheba
    Well, it has made my newly frugal soul cringe, but I've just spent £43 on Group On deals for toilet roll and toothbrush heads.

The Tightwad Goddess, Amy Dacyczyn, has three very basic rules for spending less money:-

1. Buy it cheaper
    2. Make it last longer
    3. Use it less

So bearing these rules in mind, bulk buying toilet roll and toothbrush heads at the cheapest possible price seems to be a wise frugal decision. You can't really use them less or make them last longer, so getting them cheaper is the only option. It will save me buying them at a higher price later, and they are things I absolutely will need.

I also apparently will get 23.4% cashback through Quidco on the purchases, which makes the products even cheaper. I've never used Quidco before though, so I shan't be counting on that theoretical tenner until it appears somewhere as real money :rotfl:

It's a bit of a conundrum - is the debt I could have paid off more expensive than the savings on the products I have bought? The answer is probably yes. However, I think it's good to get in good habits with some horizon scanning and longer term budgeting, and there is also a convenience to having a long term stash of these products in the house.

In other news I have come down with a cough and cold. I have a stash of cold meds so thankfully won't need to buy anything for a little while. I'm going to google making cough syrup - I think probably something with honey and lemon will work as its more tickly than chesty. It's probably the Universe giving me a kick up the derriere for going out on Friday night and spending twenty whole British pounds. Bl**dy annoying Universe :(
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yay for loo roll and boo for a cold, although you may find the former will come in handy for your runny nose! I recently bought 5l of washing up liquid from Groupon, and we run a bit of a quartermaster's stores/Brexit cupboard of lots of food and cleaning stuff here :)

Ijust need to do more of the actual cleaning.... ;)
  • Elisheba
    A very, very lazy day today! I fell asleep on the sofa for at least 3 hours this afternoon, and for the rest of the time I have mainly messed around on my phone. Gosh darned illnesses! I don't have to be very ill at all for them to just sap all my energy and zing.

Other than this morning's Groupon outlay I haven't spent anything. Only one of my purchases has been confirmed on Quidco, so if the other hasn't by tomorrow I will raise a query.

I was very tempted to buy a paper log maker, as using up all my rubbish paper on the fire would be an excellent way to save money. My friend is going to have a look for his old one though, and if that fails I might be able to cobble something together with some old wine buckets. One of my aims is to consume less, not just spend less, so anything I can reuse or recycle is a win.

Im going to wfh tomorrow and see how this cold gets on. Hopefully I'll get some decent sleep tonight and it will start getting better.
  • Elisheba
    Still full of cold and my throat is quite sore so I've taken today off. Currently wrapped up in bed with my home made cough medicine and fake Vicks to hand.

Quidco have confirmed my cashback now for both Groupon purchases so that's good. Should see the money in June :p

I looks as though I'm going to have to change my repayment strategy a bit. The catalogue debt is significantly more expensive than I thought it was. I'll need to tweak my s/s, but off the top of my head I think that the money I'm investing to change my DD dates for Feb, and the OD charge changes to % should mean I'm paying less for the OD. I do need to have £500 available for the car mot and service at the end of the year, so if I keep that by and put any other savings towards the catalogue then hopefully that will be gone by the end of 2020.

I'm somewhat concerned when looking at my catalogue statement that several of the items I've returned don't seem to have been credited. When I'm feeling better I need to write them all down and contact the company.

My brother pointed out to me that I could get most of what I get from Spotify from Amazon Prime music instead and pay nothing. I've contacted my ex as its a shared account to broach us closing it. That would save me £90 a year if I get it sorted out! It will be sad as I have playlists on there going back over 10 years, but for £90 a year I'll just have to deal with it.

So my aims for this week are :-

1. Get better. This is my primary aim, and nothing much else gets done till this happens. Practice self care and not worry too much about things like having the heating on and boiling the kettle if it's in aid of my recovery.

2. Once better, house things like washing and cleaning that I've put off due to feeling grotty.

3. Once better, sort out missing catalogue returns.

4. Update s/s with new data on catalogue repayments and interest.

5. Bake rolls, buns, and brownies (if I do t eat the chocolate for the brownies while I'm sick :rotfl:)

I think that little list is enough for now. There are loads of other things I want to get done but they will have to wait till I'm better and can plan properly.
  • Elisheba
    Woke up this morning to a bill my from my old energy company saying I owed them £335. Last I had heard on the 7th of this month I owed them £40 so needless to say I was rather surprised!

I phoned them up and the reading they have seems correct, so I dunno. The last bill must have been an estimate or something. I've read through the bills, but other than clearly saying I owe the money it's hard to make sense of them and the dates and readings.

I've arranged to pay it in installments - £100/month until its gone. Its all very annoying, but there are a few positives I can take from the situation:
    1) I checked the bill and acted immediately which I almost certainly wouldn't have done before
    2) I'm in a position where I can pay it off quite quickly due to all my recent work on my finances.
    3) I'm now aware I'm underpaying so can increase my DD, and look at how to reduce energy consumption in my house.

It's still annoying though. I've never been in arrears on a utility. Will it effect my credit rating? Also, I would much rather watch that £335 go towards a nasty, interest charging debt. Nothing to be done though. I'm just hoping my recent change of supplier does mean I'm paying less per unit.

Other than that, nothing much doing on the money front. I'm off work again today, but am slowly on the mend. Home made medical grade soup for lunch, and veg and halloumi wraps for dinner. I still have a fruit bun for a snack as well.

If I get some energy back I'll do some washing and baking. Other than that I'm just going to read and drink copious amounts of tea, and home made medicine.

I succumbed to the wiles of Kindle last night and bought a 92p book, ironically enough about a woman who stopped buying stuff for a year. It's basically a blog, so I would have been better saving my money and reading diaries on here! There does look like there is a good book about a couple who call themselves the Frugalwoods on there though. I might see if my library have it. I do not need more books!

I've decided against the dryer balls from @ldi. Yes they don't cost much, but they are basically single use for me so I should just wait until a friend can supply tennis balls.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback