Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• johnmoney05
    johnmoney05 Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    My experience with the Cambridge was slightly different, even though I probably spoke with the same chap as badger09. He tried to fob me off saying the account can't be opened on the phone because it would create a backlog and people weren't sending their signed forms back blah blah. Only the request to file a complaint made him change his mind. He then proceeded to read out the entire FSCS information, which took at least 10 minutes. After taking all my details, he then said he needed to ring me back with the result of the application. Which he did, half an hour later. The paperwork arrived promptly the next day, and has been sent back.

I never thought I'd go through all that hassle for a 3% regular saver. We live in strange times.

It must be the same chap answered my call! Well, rather than arguing with him, I just told him I diy! Bye!
  • Jimmithecat
    Jimmithecat Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I went into the branch at Histon on Monday and opened mine - really friendly and efficient - ive just called up for the access code for online banking - again absolutely flawless service:T
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I have completed this weekend's update for the first page of this thread.

- Progressive BS Clockwork Regular Saver interest rate dropped to 2.2% from 1st July as anticipated (updated in post 2)
    - Penrith BS Regular Saver 300 account withdrawn (was paying 3% on £300 per month for 3 years with 3 penalty-free withdrawals per year) and replaced with Regular Saver 200 account (paying 2% on £200 per month for 2 years, with 2 penalty-free withdrawals per year) updated in post 3
    - Nottingham BS Robin Hood Young Saver issue 4 paying 3% replaced with issue 5 paying 2.75%, updated in post 3
    - Newcastle BS Big Little Saver interest rate dropped from 2.49% to 2.12% AER (be careful - even though the advertised interest rate in huge font says 2.49%, when you scroll down to the interest rate section, it says 2.12% AER from 8th July 2016)
    - Darlington BS Junior High Days and Holidays Bonus Saver account paying 2.25% on £150 per month until 16th birthday now has a limit of £15,000 (updated in post 3)
    - Dudley BS One Year Regular Saver issue 3 paying 2.5% replaced with issue 4 paying 1.5%, which is not good enough to meet the criteria in post 1 for inclusion on my list so removed from post 4
    - Scottish BS Regular Saver interest rate dropped from 2.2% to 2% (updated in post 4)
    - Principality BS Regular Saver Bond now issue 17 (same 2% interest rate, matures 1 year after opening, I cannot see anything that has changed since previous issues and I presume they just launch a new issue when they want to raise more funds)
    - Fixed several broken web links

I will do another update the weekend after next.

SS2

For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • patientperson
    Options
    Barnsley is fully re-branded as Yorkshire BS from Monday 18th July.

Barnsley branches at Cudsworth, Doncaster (St Sepulchre Gate), Mexborough, Rotherham, Wakefield(48 Kirkgate) and Wombwell all close on Friday 15th July.

The Regular Saver account is then an account of the Yorkshire BS.

Barnsley BS is mentioned in the section 'Matures after 12 months'.
  • DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Shame the TSB regular saver rate has dropped from 5% to 2%. The only other decent rate account I can access is HSBC's 6% one but I'd need to upgrade my basic HSBC account to an Advance one and last time I applied for that I was rejected. >_>

I already have Club Lloyds, Nationwide Flexclusive, First Direct, M&S, and Halifax HTB ISA.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,489 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Shame the TSB regular saver rate has dropped from 5% to 2%. The only other decent rate account I can access is HSBC's 6% one but I'd need to upgrade my basic HSBC account to an Advance one and last time I applied for that I was rejected. >_>

I already have Club Lloyds, Nationwide Flexclusive, First Direct, M&S, and Halifax HTB ISA.

Have you tried going for their standard current account? They may be less picky for that and it would get you a 4% Regular Saver.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The Nottingham Building Society will be decreasing their Regular Saver interest rate from 3.1% to 2% from 18th July.

https://www.thenottingham.com/savings/useful-tools/rate-checker/

Select the 2nd Regular Saver from the drop-down menu to see the upcoming change.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 11 July 2016 at 6:06PM
    Options
    karlie88 wrote: »
    The Nottingham Building Society will be decreasing their Regular Saver interest rate from 3.1% to 2% from 18th July.

https://www.thenottingham.com/savings/useful-tools/rate-checker/

Select the 2nd Regular Saver from the drop-down menu to see the upcoming change.

The 2nd RS on the list seems to be a different account as it has an upper balance of £4K.
    The current RS is open ended.
    Is it maybe a new issue of their occasional fixed term RS's?

Oh, and it also shows the old 20% tax off net APR's so it's either a work in progress or an error?
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2016 at 9:51PM
    Options
    ctdctd wrote: »
    The 2nd RS on the list seems to be a different account as it has an upper balance of £4K.
    The current RS is open ended.
    Is it maybe a new issue of their occasional fixed term RS's?

Oh, and it also shows the old 20% tax off net APR's so it's either a work in progress or an error?

Interesting.

Their T&Cs on this 3.1% account which states we'll receive 14 days advance warning by post. I wonder if I am the only account holder who has received nothing yet.

Like lots of others I (think) I hold every edition (four) of currently running Regular Saver N.B.S accounts and so am puzzled by this entry on their internet.

I'd be interested if the O.P, just happened upon this internet entry or was told this by a member of NBS staff.

Also this Reg Saver appears to have had a limit of 750k from 1/4/09 and 250k from 1/3/09 according to the other R.S drop down. Is it that they are also lowering the limit (for a decent rate) to 4k (rather than a typo)?
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    Options
    I'd be interested if the O.P, just happened upon this internet entry or was told this by a member of NBS staff.

Was just doing my monthly browse of building societies' websites. Unfortunately, no branch gossip. :D

Who knows, perhaps it will be the rate for accounts opened from next week and existing holders get a letter in due course with a new effective rate?

As always, time will tell.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure