Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• Kendall80
    Kendall80 Posts: 965 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    It is ridiculous (Lloyds manages to close accounts online with virtually the same back-end), and it just means that TSB will accumulate a lot of dead, empty Easy Saver accounts, for which they still need to contact the customer yearly to inform them of their rights under FSCS.

I recently cancelled my credit card with TSB over the phone. They wouldn't let me close my 3 redundant, empty savings accounts though. Still, i'm not going to complain too much. Not with them offering up 5% accounts, generous credit card limits and a good online service. Not to mention a low rate 10 year mortgage!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just a heads up on the excellent service I've had from Cambridge.

Opened account by phone on Monday afternoon. Charming young man with a Spanish/Portuguese accent made it almost a pleasure to listen to the obligatory reading of the full T&Cs:o. Rather than keep me on hold while he did electronic ID check, he phoned back within 10 minutes.

Account opened immediately and 1st payment taken by debit card. Paperwork arrived yesterday with form requiring my signature & prepaid envelope.

Whole process took less than 30 minutes:)
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 July 2016 at 11:59AM
    Options
    My experience with the Cambridge was slightly different, even though I probably spoke with the same chap as badger09. He tried to fob me off saying the account can't be opened on the phone because it would create a backlog and people weren't sending their signed forms back blah blah. Only the request to file a complaint made him change his mind. He then proceeded to read out the entire FSCS information, which took at least 10 minutes. After taking all my details, he then said he needed to ring me back with the result of the application. Which he did, half an hour later. The paperwork arrived promptly the next day, and has been sent back.

I never thought I'd go through all that hassle for a 3% regular saver. We live in strange times.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    My experience with the Cambridge was slightly different, even though I probably spoke with the same chap as badger09. He tried to fob me off saying the account can't be opened online because it would create a backlog and people weren't sending their signed forms back blah blah. Only the request to file a complaint made him change his mind. He then proceeded to read out the entire FSCS information, which took at least 10 minutes. After taking all my details, he then said he needed to ring me back with the result of the application. Which he did, half an hour later. The paperwork arrived promptly the next day, and has been sent back.

I never thought I'd go through all that hassle for a 3% regular saver. We live in strange times.

Don't understand this post. The website makes it clear that the Cambridge BS regular saver cannot be opened online, but can be opened by phone. You were phoning, so presumably were trying to open by phone, not online.
  • MarkFromCornwall
    Options
    I had a good experience like Archi Bald and my account is now open and funded. Also, by saying at a couple of key points that I had read the t&c and the FSCS details online I was spared listening to the worst of the details.

Mark
  • Saver1980
    Saver1980 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello,

I opened Club Lloyds Regular Saver in August 2015. I have just made my 12th payment on 6th July. I called the bank to ask when i would receive my interest and they said it 1 year after it was opened. I just checked this page again and it looks like the interest rate has now dropped to 3%?
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Saver1980 wrote: »
    Hello,

I opened Club Lloyds Regular Saver in August 2015. I have just made my 12th payment on 6th July. I called the bank to ask when i would receive my interest and they said it 1 year after it was opened. I just checked this page again and it looks like the interest rate has now dropped to 3%?

3% is for new accounts. You will get the 4% fixed rate on your existing account in August.

HTH
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • Saver1980
    Saver1980 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks ctdctd.

I'm looking at the Nationwide BS flexclusive regular saver. I'm just reading through it now and am i right in thinking that if i open a felxdirect account and transfer £1000 in per month then i can transfer to the saver and get the 5% interest?
  • typistretired
    typistretired Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 July 2016 at 1:41PM
    Options
    Yes you must pay in £1,000 from an external account each month to receive the 5% interest. I presume you intend to keep £2,500 in the account to receive the maximum interest. Upon opening a flexdirect current account you can set up a Flexclusive regular saver and and then move £500 into from your flexdirect current account. My husband and I have also a joint flexaccount which we keep for the travel insurance and each has a flexdirect current account and a flexclusive regular saver.
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Saver1980 wrote: »
    Thanks ctdctd.

I'm looking at the Nationwide BS flexclusive regular saver. I'm just reading through it now and am i right in thinking that if i open a felxdirect account and transfer £1000 in per month then i can transfer to the saver and get the 5% interest?

Do note that, unlike TSB and Lloyds, the regular saver is variable, so not a fixed 5%.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure