🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The actual name of this new account is 'Special Saver'

A nice touch that they have named it after the founder of this thread.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • Special_Saver2
    Special_Saver2 Posts: 1,410 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I have updated the first page of this thread.

- Removed the Teachers BS Charity Saver (Issue 2) from the list as it is withdrawn, as stated by johnmoney05
    - Added the Nottingham BS Wisbech 5% saver in post 3 as discussed in the posts above and given credit to those authors in the posts above
    - Corrected a few formatting problems

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • lightbulb2760
    Options
    Another Branch only offering so not permitted to open via postal system. The actual name of this new account is 'Special Saver' and is an incentive aimed at any new branch of the BS. However, I have been advised that this account can be opened at any branch even though it is not advertised on a national level. One needs to quote the account name and that it has been reported via the internet and mention of Wishbech should be sufficient.

I rang up on Tuesday, and was offered an appointment at the Wisbech branch today. After checks that my personal details held were up-to-date, I opened the account without any problems. The branch is in the Harrison Murray Estate Agent, and is very small, hence the need for an appointment.
  • lightbulb2760
    Options
    The Saffron BS 12 Month Fixed Rate Regular Saver (Issue 2) (4%) is available to anyone at the moment. I opened one last month at the London branch (Stratford) as a new member, having confirmed by phone that the rule requiring prior membership for a year has been relaxed.
  • lightbulb2760
    lightbulb2760 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 June 2014 at 3:50PM
    Options
    When opening this account, I was given an A4 sheet giving further details as follows:

"Everything you need to know about your Special Saver

It's time to celebrate! The Special Saver Account is a regular savings account that gives you a great fixed rate of interest until 31 August 2015.

Your interest

With a Special Saver, you'll earn interest at a fixed rate of 5.00% gross p.a. / AER until 31 August 2015. We'll pay interest straight into your account on 31 August 2014 and on 31 August 2015 when the account matures. You will not be able to withdraw your interest until the account matures. On 1 September 2015 your balance will be automatically transferred to our instant access Branch Instant account or nearest equivalent.

Paying money in

Once you have opened your account, you can pay between £1 and £250 into the account every calendar month by cash, cheque or standing order. As long as you don't go over the £250 monthly limit, you can pay money in as often as you want to. You can also miss as many monthly payments as you like.

Taking money out

You won't have access to your savings until your account matures.

How to open a Special Saver

Any UK resident over 16 can open the account. Because it's such a great deal, we've limited it to one account per person. You only need £10 to open an account. This offer will only be around for a very limited time, so make sure you don't miss out, call your local branch to speak to an adviser. If you already have a savings account with us, we'll just need to see your passbook. If you're new to The Nottingham, you'll need to provide two forms of identification with you. We'll give you the full terms and conditions when you open your account.

Welcome to a savings rate worth celebrating!"
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

I have updated the entries on the first page of this thread with the Saffron BS and Nottingham BS Wisbech Special Saver accounts with the information kindly provided by lightbulb2760 in the posts above.

I cannot find anything else that has changed. I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I cannot find anything that has changed for this weekend's update.

I will do another update in 2 weeks' time.

SS2
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Called up our local branch and we were advised that only two branches were offering this (Wisbech being one - cant remember the other one).

Hence mixed messages here from NBS.
  • patientperson
    Options
    Called up our local branch and we were advised that only two branches were offering this (Wisbech being one - cant remember the other one).

Hence mixed messages here from NBS.

Agreed .. other than in the Wisbech area has any member managed to open this account?
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The Nottingham BS have taken over Harrison Murray Estate Agents, so maybe any of their branches.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport