Paying with your Phone

edited 30 December 2019 at 6:34PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
111 replies 5K views

Replies

• xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for that- So just to be clear i download the google pay and the wallet is linked to google pay and nothing to do with my phone. If i delete the app of google pay then my wallet will also be deleted.

Also - what part of the phone do you use to pay when using contactless? Is it the front screen?
  • edited 30 December 2019 at 11:14PM
    colstencolsten Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2019 at 11:14PM
    I only see a benefit if getting something tangible in return. Paying via my phone/watch gives me nothing tangible as I still need one of these objects on my person to pay whether it be a phone and watch together, a phone on it's own, watch on it's own or a single card or cash.
    One object, it matters not, you get the same.

I agree with you, a benefit is if you get something tangible in return.

To me, it is tangible that I can, for instance, go out for a run, just with the watch that I wear anyway to record my run, and pop into the cornershop to get a pint of milk, a cauliflower and a newspaper on the way back. No card or cash to carry. Just the watch that I war anyway. No card to carry and to wrestle out of a pocket. I just swipe my wrist, using the relevant and I am done. Perfect.

It is also tangible to me that I have, at any one point in time, 8 different payment cards with me, even though the physical cards are actually in a safe at home. Aside from me not being able to lose those cards, or having them stolen, nobody could use them unless they had my fingerprint / point a gun at me and at the retailer whilst being recorded on CCTV.

I am sure though that you will find reasons for why these shouldn't be tangible benefits and why carrying physical cards is the way to go :D:D:D
  • 20aday20aday Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    xlnc99 wrote: »
    thanks for that- So just to be clear i download the google pay and the wallet is linked to google pay and nothing to do with my phone. If i delete the app of google pay then my wallet will also be deleted.

Also - what part of the phone do you use to pay when using contactless? Is it the front screen?

Your cards should be removed from your phone when you delete the Google Pay app but I would personally delete the cards, then the app.

The NFC equipment in your phone will be at the back, usually in the middle, so when you are ready to pay hold your phone near the card terminal and your default credit/debit card will appear.

With Google Pay my understanding is that any transactions over £30 require you to enter a passcode/PIN or use biometric authentication.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    About the only time I use a card is in Tesco as double points with their debit card and they don't do GPay.
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    molerat wrote: »
    About the only time I use a card is in Tesco as double points with their debit card and they don't do GPay.

Tesco dont do Google pay? That is a surprise! They are huge
  • edited 30 December 2019 at 11:24PM
    colstencolsten Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 December 2019 at 11:24PM
    molerat wrote: »
    You can bypass that Tesco limitation by using Curve. Link your Tesco card to Curve, set up GPay for Curve and you are done.

EDIT: Although you would still have to swipe your Clubcard to get Tesco points.....so may be using TescoPay is a better alternative for now.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xlnc99 wrote: »
    Tesco dont do Google pay? That is a surprise! They are huge
    Tesco Bank don't do GPay.
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    It seems to be a CURVE card is the cure to every app. There seems to be one app or another that has some issues with payments. But having a curve solves the problems for all apps. All this new technology is so confusing!

Pay by phone, pay by watch, use a curve card.... the list goes on and on
  • JuicyJesusJuicyJesus Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what I'd do without Apple Pay at this point. It's rare that I need to use my physical cards and I could more than likely safely leave my wallet completely at home most days.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • BallardBallard Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    None of this has convinced me that there are any benefits to Apple Pay so I’ll carry on with the massive hassle of wrestling my card out of my pocket whilst others are able to pay with a wave of their wrist.

I am going to have to live with picking whichever card from my wallet I want to use whereas those who go for tech presumably have an equally simply and speedy way to decide which card they want to use each time.
    I hate verisimilitude.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides