edited 30 December 2019 at 6:34PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
111 replies 5K views

Replies

• colstencolsten Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ballard wrote: »
    I’ve heard the arguments but I don’t personally see any benefit to paying with a phone. It’s handy to have a backup and I have cards loaded on my phone just in case but I pretty much never use it. I also don’t like the idea that Apple (in my case) get a cut of all transactions. I gave them more than enough money when I bought the phone!
    My view is almost exactly the opposite of yours. I have lots of benefits from ApplePay - for example, I don't even need to take any cards or wallets to pay for anything. I just use my Apple Watch, and I can choose which of my cards I want to pay with at the point of sale. There are lots of similar watches - Garmin and Fitbit, for instance, also offer payment by watch. All supported by ApplePay / Gpay etc. Payment by gadget is a massive shift of consumer behaviour happening around us / with us. No point in pretending it's not got benefits and it's not happening, and no point of resisting it. Bottom line, it's good for all of us, IMO.
    There is no benefit to using your phone to pay and it's as safe as you make it, but it is useful to load a couple of cards onto it and have as a back-up if you forget your wallet/cards/cash as most people don't tend to forget their phone nowadays seeing as it surgically attached to many ;-)
    How do you define "benefit"? I consider it a massive benefit that I don't need a card or a phone to buy something I fancy buying when I come back from my jog (a pint of milk, a paper, a bottle of gin etc etc). I just pay with my Apple watch. HUGE benefit AFAIAC.
  • BallardBallard Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago there was a brilliant promotion on Android Pay (Now Google Pay) where for every purchase made that way an instant win (retailer gift cards) competition would appear which you could do 10 times daily. It ran for 3 months so I used it to my advantage by purchasing 1p items and by the end of it I had won £3000 in gift cards.

That’s pretty good going. There was a promotion in 2016 whereby you’d get a refund for transport for London use so I used it for that and that’s the last time that I made any effort to using it. I didn’t find it particularly easy to use then as it took ages to get the barriers open at the destination. I ended up turning the phone off and on again and that didn’t work first time.

I know that Apple Pay etc are popular and if it works for someone then great. I simply don’t get it.
    I hate verisimilitude.
    17.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xlnc99 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply guys - this may sound silly but when you mean load it to your wallet what do you mean exactly? Is their a different wallet for each app which you load your cards onto to pay.
    There is just one wallet on your phone. You put all your cards in it, and then use whichever one of your cards when you want to pay for something. It's just like your physical wallet, just now it's electronical.

The wallet on your phone has nothing to do with your banking app.
  • BallardBallard Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    colsten wrote: »
    My view is almost exactly the opposite of yours. I have lots of benefits from ApplePay - for example, I don't even need to take any cards or wallets to pay for anything. I just use my Apple Watch, and I can choose which of my cards I want to pay with at the point of sale. There are lots of similar watches - Garmin and Fitbit, for instance, also offer payment by watch. All supported by ApplePay / Gpay etc. Payment by gadget is a massive shift of consumer behaviour happening around us / with us. No point in pretending it's not got benefits and it's not happening, and no point of resisting it. Bottom line, it's good for all of us, IMO.

How do you define "benefit"? I consider it a massive benefit that I don't need a card or a phone to buy something I fancy buying when I come back from my jog (a pint of milk, a paper, a bottle of gin etc etc). I just pay with my Apple watch. HUGE benefit AFAIAC.

As I say, a lot of people see a benefit to paying by phone but the one thing that you mention, paying without a wallet, doesn’t work for me. I NEVER leave home without it. For starters it has my Oyster card in it so I need it to get around.

I reiterate that I’m not saying that I’m right on this. I’m just voicing a different opinion.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    can you tell me where i would find this wallet on my phone?

Also you mentioned watch apps that make payments! This has me even more confused! If i get a watch app but use a different app i.e google pay on my phone - can i use two different 'apps' to make payments. I.e one on the watch and one on the phone?

How would i choose what payment card to choose? Do i have to go into my wallet and change the payment card each time before i make a payment if i want to use different cards does it give you the option to choose your card when you are about to make payment
  • Wheres_My_CashbackWheres_My_Cashback Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    colsten wrote: »

I only see a benefit if getting something tangible in return. Paying via my phone/watch gives me nothing tangible as I still need one of these objects on my person to pay whether it be a phone and watch together, a phone on it's own, watch on it's own or a single card or cash.
    One object, it matters not, you get the same.
    17.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that Apple Pay etc are popular and if it works for someone then great. I simply don’t get it.
    I can count the number of times I have used a physical card to pay at a checkout in the last couple of years on one hand.

More often than not, I pay with my AppleWatch - in supermarkets, at petrol stations, at the hairdressers, in the pub, at the gym, at the cornershop, at my dentists, to mention but a few. Anywhere that accepts contactless, essentially - which is more or less everywhere in the UK these days. Most retailers have no £30 limit on ApplePay, so there's no inconvenience.

I currently have 8 different cards loaded in my Apple wallet, meaning I can decide which of the cards I want to use to pay with, without having to have even one physical card with me.

None of this may be of any benefit to you but it is / will be to tens of millions.
    17.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For starters it has my Oyster card in it so I need it to get around.
    I last used my Oyster card in 2016 or thereabouts. Ever since then, I have been checking in and out with my AppleWatch.
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    i cannot find any samsung wallet in my phone? Is this something i need to download?
    17.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xlnc99 wrote: »
    can you tell me where i would find this wallet on my phone?

Also you mentioned watch apps that make payments! This has me even more confused! If i get a watch app but use a different app i.e google pay on my phone - can i use two different 'apps' to make payments. I.e one on the watch and one on the phone?

How would i choose what payment card to choose? Do i have to go into my wallet and change the payment card each time before i make a payment if i want to use different cards does it give you the option to choose your card when you are about to make payment

ApplePay: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201239

GooglePay: https://support.google.com/pay/answer/7625055?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance

MSE Deals