edited 30 December 2019 at 6:34PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
111 replies 5K views

Replies

• JuicyJesusJuicyJesus Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ballard wrote: »
    None of this has convinced me that there are any benefits to Apple Pay so I’ll carry on with the massive hassle of wrestling my card out of my pocket whilst others are able to pay with a wave of their wrist.

I am going to have to live with picking whichever card from my wallet I want to use whereas those who go for tech presumably have an equally simply and speedy way to decide which card they want to use each time.

If that's what you want to do then go right ahead. Obviously, us people who like Apple Pay rather do see some benefits, which is why we use it.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ballard wrote: »
    I am going to have to live with picking whichever card from my wallet I want to use whereas those who go for tech presumably have an equally simply and speedy way to decide which card they want to use each time.
    Absolutely. Selecting the digital card you want to pay with takes a fraction of the time it takes to pull the right physical card out of your physical wallet. And the risk of ever losing (by accident or to thieves) any or all of your cards is next to zero. Also, the risk of forgetting one of your cards at home is minimised.
  • soulsaversoulsaver Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Question for you tech wise peeps - can you pay contactless with your phone even if NFC functionality isn't built in?
  • edited 31 December 2019 at 12:30AM
    Speedster2Speedster2 Forumite
    112 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 31 December 2019 at 12:30AM
    soulsaver wrote: »
    Question for you tech wise peeps - can you pay contactless with your phone even if NFC functionality isn't built in?

No. The connection is made to the merchant’s terminal by NFC, same as the embedded loop in a contactless debit card.

One benefit I’ve found is that the Google Pay app keeps a summary of all payments made. Easy to check between shops without going through your wallet for the till receipts or logging in to your bank account.
    colsten wrote: »
    Absolutely. Selecting the digital card you want to pay with takes a fraction of the time it takes to pull the right physical card out of your physical wallet. And the risk of ever losing (by accident or to thieves) any or all of your cards is next to zero. Also, the risk of forgetting one of your cards at home is minimised.
    My use of Google Pay never requires me to select a card. I have set a default debit card which is used automatically unless I go into the “wallet” and select another one. As soon as the phone is held next to the contactless terminal it pings with the default card.

I haven’t crossed the threshold of using my Samsung Galaxy smartwatch to make payments yet.
    Save £12k in 2014 #163: £14319
    Save £12k in 2015 #31: £12335/£10000
    Save £12k in 2016 #61 : £8220/£12000
    Save £12k in 2019 #168 : £13141/£12000 :smiley:
    Save £12k in 2020 # : £3000/£12000
    Mortgage Offset Personal Challenge & MFW £51694 / Virtual Balance £57843
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speedster2 wrote: »

My use of Google Pay never requires me to select a card. I have set a default debit card which is used automatically unless I go into the “wallet” and select another one. As soon as the phone is held next to the contactless terminal it pings with the default card.
    Yes, sorry, I should have said that the default card (as set by the user) will be used unless you select one of your other cards. On my watch, a simple double-click displays the default card, which is then ready to be used for paying. If I want to use a different card, I just swipe through the cards until the one I want to use is shown. It's very simple to use, even for an "OAP" (I hate that expression) like myself.
  • 18cc18cc Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    In order to use Samsung pay on your Samsung phone you need to download the Samsung pay app

you then set up the app. This involves choosing a pin number for security and also deciding if you want to use fingerprint - I use fingerprint as it is simple

You then load one or more cards onto the app which which is sometimes called a wallet but basically is the app

Once the Samsung pay app is installed you use it by dragging up from the bottom of the screen, choosing the card you want to pay with, entering your pin or using a fingerprint to authorise it and then holding the phone over the retaiers card reader exactly the same way as you would use contactless card

You can also instead use Google pay again you have to download it from the the App Store

although I have have never done it I am sure using it on the iPhone phone is exactly the same process
  • afis1904afis1904 Forumite
    348 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    You don't need to open the app, unless it's Samsung Pay. Just unlock your screen and hold the phone to the card terminal
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speedster2 wrote: »
    One benefit I’ve found is that the Google Pay app keeps a summary of all payments made. Easy to check between shops without going through your wallet for the till receipts or logging in to your bank account.
    I like that function. Dates and times of where you used GPay then flick through each card to see that info for the particular card. Location also shown on a map.
  • Wheres_My_CashbackWheres_My_Cashback Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    colsten wrote: »
    I agree with you, a benefit is if you get something tangible in return.

To me, it is tangible that I can, for instance, go out for a run, just with the watch that I wear anyway to record my run, and pop into the cornershop to get a pint of milk, a cauliflower and a newspaper on the way back. No card or cash to carry. Just the watch that I war anyway. No card to carry and to wrestle out of a pocket. I just swipe my wrist, using the relevant and I am done. Perfect.

It is also tangible to me that I have, at any one point in time, 8 different payment cards with me, even though the physical cards are actually in a safe at home. Aside from me not being able to lose those cards, or having them stolen, nobody could use them unless they had my fingerprint / point a gun at me and at the retailer whilst being recorded on CCTV.

I am sure though that you will find reasons for why these shouldn't be tangible benefits and why carrying physical cards is the way to go :D:D:D

I only need 1 card to buy milk, cauli and a paper, not 8 and it's not too often I encounter a gunman whilst doing so :D If I did I'd smash the cauli over his head, then roll the paper up and beat him and then drench him with milk for good measure..........meanwhile your battery has gone flat on your phone and you leave the shop empty handed, just like the gunman :D

No need to wrestle card out of pocket either, I just take it out. If you need to wrestle with it then perhaps a NY resolution needs to be made :wink::wink:
  • xlnc99xlnc99 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    18cc wrote: »
    In order to use Samsung pay on your Samsung phone you need to download the Samsung pay app

you then set up the app. This involves choosing a pin number for security and also deciding if you want to use fingerprint - I use fingerprint as it is simple

You then load one or more cards onto the app which which is sometimes called a wallet but basically is the app

Once the Samsung pay app is installed you use it by dragging up from the bottom of the screen, choosing the card you want to pay with, entering your pin or using a fingerprint to authorise it and then holding the phone over the retaiers card reader exactly the same way as you would use contactless card

You can also instead use Google pay again you have to download it from the the App Store

although I have have never done it I am sure using it on the iPhone phone is exactly the same process

from the discussion on here it looks like google pay is most popular for people without iphones who use apple pay. i am leaning towards google pay
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides