Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

2020 - banish the clutter - Page 30

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

2020 - banish the clutter

edited 2 January 2020 at 4:07PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.7K replies 230.7K views

Replies

• Gem-gemGem-gem Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Binned:
    Old tray (new one bought in its place)
    Shortbread packaging

Packed ready for bootfair or cs
    Five Xmas coasters
    Three Cheese cutters, old Xmas present

Up to 23. Target exceeded for this month.

Took ten empty plastic bottles to JL and got two lots of £5 off beauty products. Bought two Molton Brown baubles in the sale, one for £3.80 and another for £4.80 (with additional £5 off). I hope that JL keep this promotion going.
    ⭐️ £2 Savers Club 2021 no.1 £0/200 + £16
    ⭐️ Save 12K in 2021 no 7
    ⭐️ Declutter and clean for 2021 1/52
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    24.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One final burst then it's probably back to lurking for X weeks:

While putting the decs away, I've got rid of a rusty stair gate, a coal scuttle, a car seat (relevant child is now doing a levels), more polystyrene and a bag of rubbish.
    Plus the 12 bags already done.
    Ebay day tomorrow.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • villagelifevillagelife Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been quite successful today

23-24 t shirts that have seen better days
    25 moisturiser sample
    26-40 bag of baby clothes
    41 a picture
    42 a map
    43 an old suitcase
    44 glass safety film
    45-47 metal rods
    48 more paperwork
    49 a box file.

Well done everyone starting is the most important step.
  • nannywindownannywindow Forumite
    2.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also gone to recycling 2 plastic sweet tubs. Now I need to get rid of excess weight !
    nan
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • NicnakNicnak Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I took the two boxes of books to the shop today. I have to do it now otherwise it ends up with me going back through it and taking things out. I could probably now fit all my books on one bookshelf rather than the three I have acquired. It would mean doubling up, but seen as though I had them doubled up anyway, it isn't a bad thing. I will go back through them and remove more of them.

I have also lit some wax melts. I have a bag full of them and never use them so have decided I will light some every day to make the house smell nice and get rid of the clutter.

My next big job is my pjs drawer. I can't even open it so just wedge stuff in the front of it. I could do with getting this sorted, and will see how I feel tomorrow on whether or not it gets done.

I have listed some more bits on ebay too. I have a few other bits to list, and will aim to also do them tonight or tomorrow.

Off to declutter the wine rack! :rotfl:
    September 2017 Debt = £25330
    October 2020 Debt = £28,270
    2021 Start:
    Car £17450 = £12,056
    Loan £11000 = £10,100
    TOTAL £22,156
    Mortgage £191,311 = £189,598
    EF = £600 Xmas = £0
  • short_birdshort_bird Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    20-21: items from fridge that I had to fight off...
    22-26: 4 books and 1 record to charity shop
    27-28: mixed material and paper to the recycling bins: there are 2 recycling bins in my flat, measured in inches they're 12 wide x 7 deep x 14 high.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • villagelifevillagelife Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    50 some tinsel binned. It was losing bits as I took it down.
    51 Christmas cards either recycled or put in waste bin depending on the glitter.

Over 50 items have left the house so far.
  • CaramacCaramac Forumite
    172 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    So far
    1. Calendar
    2. Diary
    3. Various old Christmas decorations
    4. My dad passed away last year and I have a lot of his paperwork here from when I sold his house. I have sorted out two boxes. A lot of it was envelopes so I’ve sorted a bag for stuff to be securely shredded and put a lot in paper recycling
    5. Various spices that are out of date that I will never used.

I’m also working at using stuff up and making do with what I have. I have enough toiletries and cleaning products to last me all year. I was tempted by a nice new notebook earlier this week but resisted and will concentrate on using up unused pages on those I already have. I’ll add the total of everything used up at the end of each month.
  • NicnakNicnak Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I might have gone extreme. I had two lots of cumin and ground coriander. I had used some in each so combined them both together to get rid of two pots. I'm not counting that though. I think I'll stick to things that wouldn't naturally leave the house otherwise I would be taking cereal out of boxes to make the numbers higher.
    x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330
    October 2020 Debt = £28,270
    2021 Start:
    Car £17450 = £12,056
    Loan £11000 = £10,100
    TOTAL £22,156
    Mortgage £191,311 = £189,598
    EF = £600 Xmas = £0
  • Mrs_Salad_DodgerMrs_Salad_Dodger Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally back :D We picked up the oven shelf from the P.O., went into Pr*m*rk & bought some holiday clothes (but no swimming costumes until Monday:() then nipped into A*di for tonight’s dinner - I am a fan but no bus route :( so will need DH to take me on the motorbike.

You are very organised Guineapigsqueaks :T & doing very well on your decluttering :T What an excellent day’s work Guineapigsqueaks :T:T & I love your decision of “quickest route exit policy” :T Also a big well done on the wight loss :T

Great work dallam20 :T - 3 more bags :T :D Re DD2’s room, definitely go for it with the proviso that she keeps it clean & tidy (even if she has to ask for your assistance :rotfl:) You could also suggest one in, one out ;)

Excellent work Marpau :T - decluttering washing, drying & folding :T

There are such nasty people about gilly1964 :mad: Will insurance cover the cost of replacements? Doesn’t cover the cost of the inconvenience & the annoyance though :mad:

Makethedayscount, thank you for that :T It may be strange, but I get almost as much pleasure from other people being successful in their decluttering as I do from decluttering my items :rotfl: Do remember that stopping clutter coming in is almost as important at getting clutter out ;)

Welcome aboard radioles1408 :hello: What a great incentive to declutter - an extension :D but not an excuse to re-clutter :rotfl: I will join you in the not counting everyday recycling & rubbish if that is OK ;)

Great start Michelleh :T Perhaps read the tall books first ;)

Welcome aboard the Decluttering Bandwagon Repentent Hoarder :hello: Lovely to see you and what a superb start to your journey to a clutter free home :T Please don’t refill your cupboard space (yet) as it is a visible reminder that you can be a successful declutterer :rotfl:

Good work StinkingBishop :T

Doing really well jacwins :T Sprinkle of luck coming your way :)

Good work Bexster1975 :T Can anything currently under the bed be sold to assist with the new purchase?

You have been busy nannywindow :T Really do not blame you for avoiding the rain :D I admire your chocolate eating determination :rotfl: and if you are keeping busy decluttering & cleaning the excess weight will soon be decluttered :T

elsien, I use the excuse of not wanting to disturb the neighbours during the darker hours :rotfl: Re decluttering, perhaps use the 15 minute rule ;) & pick a drawer or a small box to declutter. It is quite surprising how much can be done in 15 minutes :T That was an extremely productive burst of activity elsien :T You can lurk ;) but it might be an idea to set the timer for 15 minutes of reporting in but just once a week :rotfl: It might help :D

What a result Gem-gem :T Target exceeded :T & money saved :T as well. You are on a roll :D

Another successful declutterer villagelife :T Everyone is putting me to shame :o

What a great day’s work Nicnak :T especially the book sorting & using the quickest exit route policy :D Good luck with the pjs drawer ;)

A couple of bits out today

2 - 4 Plastic sweetie box, small sturdy cardboard box & Xmas TV magazine all recycled

Off to cook dinner - pork steaks, mash & various vegetables.

MrsSD
    4/2020
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives.

2021 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount