Virgin Money Current Account

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
490 replies 40.6K views

Replies

• dcs34dcs34 Forumite
    231 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    May's were paid early (last day of month being a Sunday) and most seemed to have been paid early morning. So maybe they're running a bit slow with June's.
  • RG2015RG2015 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    dcs34 said:
    May's were paid early (last day of month being a Sunday) and most seemed to have been paid early morning. So maybe they're running a bit slow with June's.
    My interest has been credited and has a transaction date of 30th June. However it was not there when I checked last night at about midnight.
  • edited 1 July at 8:17AM
    ischris85ischris85 Forumite
    229 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 1 July at 8:17AM
    RG2015 said:
    dcs34 said:
    My interest has been credited and has a transaction date of 30th June. However it was not there when I checked last night at about midnight.
    My interest has been credited with date of 30/06. When I logged into my Virgin Account around midnight it said account unavailable. Seems ok now though.
  • edited 1 July at 10:41AM
    MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    6.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 July at 10:41AM
    It was in at 8am when I checked. As long as it's added, I don't mind 😁
  • edited 1 July at 9:25PM
    bubieyehyehbubieyehyeh Forumite
    511 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 1 July at 9:25PM
    I missed it when I opened the account, but discovered today unless you use the mobile app, you are limited to payments of upto £500 and a maximum of £1000 per day. What a joke. I'll was trialling it to use more widely, but now I'll just use it to store £1000 and collect the interest at the start of month. The website is also really slow, though not as slow as TSB was today.
  • grantagranta Forumite
    57 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Can i check how much interest you would be paid if you keep £1000 in the current account for the whole month?
  • RG2015RG2015 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    granta said:
    Can i check how much interest you would be paid if you keep £1000 in the current account for the whole month?
    £1,000 x 0.02 x 30 / 365 = £1.64 for a 30 day month.
    £1,000 x 0.02 x 31 / 365 = £1.70 for a 31 day month.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    14.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More peculiar experience with the Virgin Money current account.

I want to make a payment to a new payee at another UK bank in online banking, for a medium 3-figure amount, like I did before on several other occasions to different payees. They ask that I confirm the payment through the app, which I duly go and do. Then a message pops up in online banking saying the payment has been referred for security checks, and I need to call them now. OK. So I call and and get asked by the automated system whether my call is about a CB or a YB account, no option for a Virgin account. I select CB, then go into the "we are busy but will be with you asap" queue which gets eeee-ventually answered by a chap with the broadest Scottish accent I have yet come across. He takes me through security (luckily I have my telephone security code to hand) and asks me whether I want to make the payment. I refrain from giving a rude answer and just say yes please. He says he authorised the payment now and it can take up to 4 hours to go through. He wasn't joking. It really took 4 hours, 4 hours 20 mins if I add all the authorisation nonsense.

I am so pleased this isn't my main/regular current account, and there isn't much chance that it ever will be.
  • dahjdahj Forumite
    146 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    colsten said:

I want to make a payment to a new payee at another UK bank in online banking, for a medium 3-figure amount, like I did before on several other occasions to different payees. They ask that I confirm the payment through the app, which I duly go and do. Then a message pops up in online banking saying the payment has been referred for security checks, and I need to call them now. OK. So I call and and get asked by the automated system whether my call is about a CB or a YB account, no option for a Virgin account. I select CB, then go into the "we are busy but will be with you asap" queue which gets eeee-ventually answered by a chap with the broadest Scottish accent I have yet come across. He takes me through security (luckily I have my telephone security code to hand) and asks me whether I want to make the payment. I refrain from giving a rude answer and just say yes please. He says he authorised the payment now and it can take up to 4 hours to go through. He wasn't joking. It really took 4 hours, 4 hours 20 mins if I add all the authorisation nonsense.

I am so pleased this isn't my main/regular current account, and there isn't much chance that it ever will be.
    It doesn't sound unlike checks from other current account providers, especially on new accounts.
    On a Lloyd's account they also ran an ID Q&A check from my credit file.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    14.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dahj said:
    colsten said:

It doesn't sound unlike checks from other current account providers, especially on new accounts.
    On a Lloyd's account they also ran an ID Q&A check from my credit file.
    It is totally unlike any other current account provider. I have at least one account with all of them, and absolutely none of them has ever held up any first (or subsequent) payment.

ID check against the credit files is something altogether different.